Legislation has been introduced to designate the Bluetick Coonhound as the official state dog of Tennessee

about time, but anybody that's ever gone coon hunting knew that a long time ago...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Now see here, RollerVol! Oops, sorry, you're referring species Procyon lotor. Well...least I learned the dog doesn't hunt vampire bugs.

Would the city of Memphis prefer a different dog?
I figure one that’s not the mascot of UT.

The word on the street is that fans of Memphis are not fans of UT or anything to do with UT. I heard one of them say that they hate Orange. Their mascot is Orange.

I figure one that’s not the mascot of UT.

The word on the street is that fans of Memphis are not fans of UT or anything to do with UT. I heard one of them say that they hate Orange. Their mascot is Orange.

Most Tiger fans are basketball only and will casually root for Tiger football when times are good, but then go back to their SEC team when it counts. And although there are a good chunk of fans of Arkansas, the Mississippi schools, and University of Memphis basketball (Tiger football doesn't really count), by sheer population numbers Memphis bleeds orange more than anywhere except for the Nashville area. There are 1.3 million people in the metro area and nearly 700,000 within the city limits. So yes, there are going to be people who hate UT, but there sure are a lot that love it as well.

Although there are a good chunk of fans of Arkansas, the Mississippi schools, and University of Memphis basketball (Tiger football doesn't really count), by sheer population numbers it bleeds orange more than anywhere except for the Nashville area. There are 1.3 million people in the metro area and nearly 700,000 within the city limits. So yes, there are going to be people who hate UT, but there sure are a lot that love it as well.
Have you watched a Vandy home game. Nearly every opponent (SEC wise) has more fans than they do show up, including orange. I see more Power Ts in and around Nashville than I do the star or anchor by a WIDE margin.

Have you watched a Vandy home game. Nearly every opponent (SEC wise) has more fans than they do show up, including orange. I see more Power Ts in and around Nashville than I do the star or anchor by a WIDE margin.

Sorry, see edited post above. My first reply didn't make sense.

Most Tiger fans are basketball only and will casually root for Tiger football when times are good, but then go back to their SEC team when it counts. And although there are a good chunk of fans of Arkansas, the Mississippi schools, and University of Memphis basketball (Tiger football doesn't really count), by sheer population numbers Memphis bleeds orange more than anywhere except for the Nashville area. There are 1.3 million people in the metro area and nearly 700,000 within the city limits. So yes, there are going to be people who hate UT, but there sure are a lot that love it as well.

There are people all over that love UT. There are people all over that hate UT.

Of the 700,000 living in Memphis, how many would you guess bleed Orange and how many would you guess have a dislike for the Vols?

Shelby county outside of Memphis City is different than Shelby county inside of Memphis City.

There are people all over that love UT. There are people all over that hate UT.

Of the 700,000 living in Memphis, how many would you guess bleed Orange and how many would you guess have a dislike for the Vols?

Shelby county outside of Memphis City is different than Shelby county inside of Memphis City.

Although neither of us could begin to try and guess an exact number of Vols fans, the average TV rating for the area backs up the claim. There's plenty of available viewership info segmented by market if you're willing to search for it.

And you're right, outside of Shelby County is very different than inside. That goes both ways though. The UT love might not extend across the Mississippi River into West Memphis or down into MS, but arguably the strongest concentrations of Vols fans in the whole Memphis area are on the outskirts of town north and east of the city.

All that said, the hate isn't really that strong. Of the other SEC schools that people from the area attend, none of them are serious rivals to UT or play us enough to lose any sleep over how the Vols perform, especially with how irrelevant the football team is at the national level. You can try to make the argument that the University of Memphis is a basketball rival, but the schools don't play consistently enough to constitute anything very severe.

I may have based my comment off the quality of hate for UT in Memphis from Memphis fans and not so much on the quantity of fans, considering the size of the Memphis fan base.

Since I didn’t live and work there very long the few fans I interacted with may have skewed my opinion on the way Memphis fans feel about UT.

You'd think the state legislature would have better things to do than something like this. This is the stuff that pisses me off about government. Wasting time on ish like this even though there are real world problems going on for their constituents.

VN Store

Back