LB Beasley Under Investigation

Why? It is a cat. He did something awful but there are plenty of people around who have done awful things.... seem my response just above this one.
Human beings that hurt defenseless animals in fits of rage or for fun are a danger to society. If this is true and is a one off incident, rehabilitation could work. If there is a history of this behavior, rehabilitation is highly unlikely.

Similar to rape and child molestation, some things require incarceration and removal from society.

What is it with these guys? Armed drug ripoffs, abusing girlfriends, abusing cats. Are they stupid, or just plain old thugs?

Reactions: DOCTORLOOMIS
Human beings that hurt defenseless animals in fits of rage or for fun are a danger to society.
That's not universally true. Statistically a lot of psycho killers like Dahlmer abuse animals as children. Statistically A LOT of children mistreat animals and go on to be normal, productive, ethical members of society.

If this is true and is a one off incident, rehabilitation could work. If there is a history of this behavior, rehabilitation is highly unlikely.
That's kind of what I've said. I do not agree that the magnitude of this transgression is to the level many noisy people here do but it isn't something that you should just tolerate either.

Similar to rape and child molestation, some things require incarceration and removal from society.
Totally different level of offence. Crimes against animals should NOT be treated on the same level as crimes against people.

What is it with these guys? Armed drug ripoffs, abusing girlfriends, abusing cats. Are they stupid, or just plain old thugs?
Part of the reason Fulmer was fired the first time was that there was no discipline off the field. There was a constant stream of things like this. The Vol for Life program was established under either Kiffin or Dooley. They did training and established a baseline for behavior. For several years, these incidents were rare. Probably lower than the average college program. Fulmer/Pruitt let that level of discipline slip. They didn't emphasize character... and the team responded predictably.

Go back and re-read what I posted, and then explain how you concluded that I am “valuing an animal’s life over that of a human being.”
Read it again. I didn't misrepresent what you said. Maybe you didn't say what you meant or weren't clear?

You still said "not to me" in response to my posts concerning the value of human life in comparison to animal life. And then made a comment that could be interpreted several ways directed at me that I chose not to challenge you on.

The sickness runs in your family of cowards.
Says the tough guy behind a monitor. From what did you conclude that we were "cowards"? That we know the difference between the value of animal life compared to human life?

I took a break from the Vols after the bama BB game that changed the season trajectory. Finally check back in here to see that Vols are now kicking kittens and some others are dealing drugs

I think I’m done....for real this time.

Just an animal, huh? As far as stupid, it depends on what the player dies/did. There are consequences of one’s actions.

This guy needs help! End of story.
Never said he didn't need both punishment AND help/counseling. In fact, that's exactly what I said.

Yes. It is an animal. Not a human being. He didn't beat up his girlfriend. He didn't beat some kid up at a bar like UT had a few years back. He mistreated an animal. To say that's not nearly as bad as hurting a person is not to say that it isn't a significant thing. But many here are way, way overboard.

He's a liability because of the publicity and yeah, because the optics of having beaten a kitten over your dinner IS awful.
Outside of those like us who follow the program daily... how many people really even know or care about an obscure back up LB and especially if he's punished and counseled? Do you think that's worse than anything any other player has done across the NCAA? Things you have not and never will hear about?

Regardless of how I feel personally, he's given the University a public relations black eye for his stupidity. Players do dumb stuff but it's rarely ALL OVER the media.
Did the governor of Virginia resign yet? Did Cuomo?

Punish Beasley. Counsel Beasley. Then let the news cycle do what the news cycle does.

Again, hate it for him but this one is simply gotten too much bad press for University to overlook. Fair or not fair, the University should do what's good for its image.
If the prudent thing is done concerning his actions then few if any will even remember it by September.

Look man, I think our views on the analogy you were using earlier are probably the same. I'm completely against it. However, it's legal whether we like it or not. Torturing a born alive kitten however is not legal, just like torturing a born alive infant is not legal. There is also substantial scientific data that people who abuse animals are far more likely to harm other people. Football needs to be the least of Beasley's concerns. He needs big time help and it needs to be demonstrated to him in the strongest manner that this is unacceptable behavior. No slap on the wrist and back to practice will do.
Thanks for being reasonable even though we disagree on the gravity and punishment.

Not being a smart aleck but can you cite that data? I have seen and heard statistics showing that a high % of sociopathic killers abused animals. I have NOT seen data showing that a high % of those who abuse an animal harm people.

Thanks for being reasonable even though we disagree on the gravity and punishment.

Not being a smart aleck but can you cite that data? I have seen and heard statistics showing that a high % of sociopathic killers abused animals. I have NOT seen data showing that a high % of those who abuse an animal harm people.
I did not say "high %", I said "more likely", splitting hairs maybe but here are a few.

The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome (Published 2010)

The Link: Cruelty to Animals and Violence Towards People | Animal Legal & Historical Center

Animal Cruelty and Domestic Violence - The Link Between Cruelty to Animals and Violence Toward Humans.

P.S. I am glad your brother has gone on to live a well adjusted life after his incident, to my knowledge no one on this thread has argued that it is impossible for someone to abuse animals and straighten up, just that it is a sign of what may be an even more serious problem and as with all such signs, it may lead to something worse or it may not.

Beware the cat killers: A revolution in tackling domestic violence has begun

https://www.peta.org/issues/animal-...eets/animal-abuse-human-abuse-partners-crime/

https://scholar.utc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1617&context=theses

COLD HARD FACTS ABOUT ANIMAL ABUSE OFFENDERS | NCOVAA

Let me know when you’re finished perusing. There’s LOTS more.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
If the prudent thing is done concerning his actions then few if any will even remember it by September.
You like doing "what if" so let's try one.

What if he'd gotten pissed about his dinner being eaten by her cat and taken a bat to the lady's car? Is a car more valuable than a living thing to you?

Let's just find your "living thing" moral compass, shall we?

I sincerely hope you don't own an animal as a pet.

The first article doesn't refute what I said. In fact, it is so focused on a singular factor that it can't prove much of anything. The remainder appear to affirm what I'm saying. I high % of sociopathic killers abuse animals. That does not mean a high % of those who mistreat animals become sociopathic killers.

You like doing "what if" so let's try one.

What if he'd gotten pissed about his dinner being eaten by her cat and taken a bat to the lady's car? Is a car more valuable than a living thing to you?
No. Both are property but a living thing is more valuable than an inanimate thing.

Let's just find your "living thing" moral compass, shall we?
You still haven't rationally defended or even established your own. I know it would benefit you by deflecting... but I have no problem answering your questions from a consistent point of view that VERY MUCH values the lives and humane treatment of animals.

I sincerely hope you don't own an animal as a pet.
I do... and mine are in far less danger than the humans around you, right? That assumption is no less ignorant than yours....

I don't mistreat or abuse animals period. I do not approve of it. I think it is a serious matter. I do NOT value an animal on the same level as a person. You apparently have some issues there or you wouldn't struggle to "get it".

The first article doesn't refute what I said. In fact, it is so focused on a singular factor that it can't prove much of anything. The remainder appear to affirm what I'm saying. I high % of sociopathic killers abuse animals. That does not mean a high % of those who mistreat animals become sociopathic killers.
Why would there be a study on productive citizens? Imagine the look on Neighbor Bob’s face when you explore how many goldfish he desecrated as grammar school Neighbor Bob. You have a determined narrative on this subject, so quit ferreting out that which you will summarily dismiss.

Why would there be a study on productive citizens? Imagine the look on Neighbor Bob’s face when you explore how many goldfish he desecrated as grammar school Neighbor Bob. You have a determined narrative on this subject, so quit ferreting out that which you will summarily dismiss.
So you think ONLY future sociopaths are abusing animals? That is what you took from those studies?

Why would you study those who abused animals then DID NOT become sociopaths? To establish your statistical baseline. The figure wouldn't mean much unless you had something to compare to.

So you think ONLY future sociopaths are abusing animals? That is what you took from those studies?

Why would you study those who abused animals then DID NOT become sociopaths? To establish your statistical baseline. The figure wouldn't mean much unless you had something to compare to.
I'm going to be honest with you, you've always seemed like a decent fellow, but your continued comments on this matter are kind of creepy.

Here are a couple of pull quotes from the third article I linked:

"A landmark 1997 study by the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Northeastern University found that animal abusers are in fact five times as likely to also harm other humans.

Another study, published in 2013, found that 43% of those who commit school massacres also committed acts of cruelty to animals — generally against cats and dogs."

Where did I say that...c’mon man, you’re better than this. Misappropriating words to fit your narrative is for the criminally desperate. 😉 I think most people in this drama you’ve created would say he’s not doomed to be a serial killer for this alleged incident. It was just a point of concern, because it is a shared factor in studies of those who qualify as such. If Beasley ends up stamped with this AND hookers start disappearing in his locale, this will be a significant footnote.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Says the tough guy behind a monitor. From what did you conclude that we were "cowards"? That we know the difference between the value of animal life compared to human life?
I used to enjoy your posts and thought well of you. Appears that there is something more evil that I did not see until you eventually revealed yourself.

A coward like your father who shoots strays. A coward like your so successful brother who put a cat in a toilet bowl. A coward who also chased a cat with a bat and that cat disappeared.
Do you not see that abusing/hurting animals so much smaller, weaker and unable to defend themselves is an act of cruelty and cowardice?
Your black & white view of the value of life is a joke.
This may be one of your "successful" relatives:
Desmond Hague - Bing video

Read it again. I didn't misrepresent what you said. Maybe you didn't say what you meant or weren't clear?

You still said "not to me" in response to my posts concerning the value of human life in comparison to animal life. And then made a comment that could be interpreted several ways directed at me that I chose not to challenge you on.

I said “Not to me” in response to your statement that you value human life far more than animal life.

I said what I meant, and it was clear, but you chose to interpret it as “therefore, I value animal life more than human life”, which is one of at least three logical implications of my statement, but not what I said.

It could be understood to mean that I value human life more than animal life, but not FAR more, or it could mean that, to me, it depends on the circumstances. You chose the interpretation that best served your agenda.

If I witnessed someone torturing my kitten or puppy, I’m pretty sure in that case I would value the life of the animal more than the human torturer. If you find that “perverse”, then that’s your problem.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I said “Not to me” in response to your statement that you value human life far more than animal life.

I said what I meant, and it was clear, but you chose to interpret it as “therefore, I value animal life more than human life”, which is one of at least three logical implications of my statement, but not what I said.
Well... no. If it isn't what you meant then that's fine. What did you mean?

It could be understood to mean that I value human life more than animal life, but not FAR more, or it could mean that, to me, it depends on the circumstances. You chose the interpretation that best served your agenda.
No. I chose to interpret it in the most obvious way in the context of the statement you replied to.

If I witnessed someone torturing my kitten or puppy, I’m pretty sure in that case I would value the life of the animal more than the human torturer. If you find that “perverse”, then that’s your problem.
No. Not a problem. Would you stop them if you could? Sure. Report them? Sure. Shoot them in the head? I hope not. Completely derail their life over one offence? Apparently you think that's an appropriate punishment. Unless this is a pattern of behavior, I don't. That cat's life is not more valuable even in light of the mistake Beasley made.

I am shocked and saddened at some of the responses here. I would like to post only a couple of things on the situation:

1- I hope the kitten makes a full recovery, and that either the owner provides a loving and caring home for it, or that the kitten finds itself re-homed to a loving and caring home.

2- I hope the young man that is accused of this heinous action finds and employs the serious help that he needs. In the meantime, his tenure with the Tennessee football program should be terminated by Coach Heupel. You may say that's harsh. I say well, there is always the transfer portal. Good luck to any university wanting to take a chance on a kitten kicking, undersized linebacker.

Seriously, if there was ever more evidence of a culture problem leftover from Forrest Pruitt, this is it. I want the kid to get help. But Heupel has to get rid of him.
Totally agree with you. Like I said earlier, I hate cats but wrong is wrong and a felony is a felony. He needs to seek help.

Reactions: JohnsonCityVol

VN Store

Back