Lauren Cox Update

BUBear

Football On The Brazos
Baylor's Cox Won't Require Surgery, MCL Sprain & Bone Bruise Suffered

Baylor junior All-American power forward Lauren Cox will not require surgery after medical staff evaluated an injury to the left knee suffered in the third quarter of Sunday's NCAA Division I national title game.

Dr. Brad Gilliam of Southwest Sports Medicine Orthopedics in Waco evaluated Cox Monday afternoon, which included an MRI scan. Gilliam determined that the Flower Mound, Texas native suffered an MCL sprain with bone bruising.

While there is no surgery required, there is also no time table for a return.

Baylor junior All-American power forward Lauren Cox will not require surgery after medical staff evaluated an injury to the left knee suffered in the third quarter of Sunday's NCAA Division I national title game.

Dr. Brad Gilliam of Southwest Sports Medicine Orthopedics in Waco evaluated Cox Monday afternoon, which included an MRI scan. Gilliam determined that the Flower Mound, Texas native suffered an MCL sprain with bone bruising.

That is fantastic news. I’m so happy for Lauren!

great news! Thanks for the update.

Reactions: aretha57 and BUBear
Awesome news. I suspected a sprain with they showed the replay. The way she reacted made me think it was much worse though.

Baylor will be very tough again next season. Should be even more versatile with Smith and Ego alongside Cox in the paint. Smith already has a nice jumper. If she can extend her range to the 3 like Cox they will be a hard guard.

a Grade 1 MCL sprain normally takes 4-6 weeks for recovery. No surgery required is
obviously great news. Looks like the biggest problem is the bone bruise. (bone contusion)
recovery time for that could be up to several months depending how fast it heals.

everyone concerned is certainly very relieved, this could have been much much worse.

a Grade 1 MCL sprain normally takes 4-6 weeks for recovery. No surgery required is
obviously great news. Looks like the biggest problem is the bone bruise. (bone contusion)
recovery time for that could be up to several months depending how fast it heals.

everyone concerned is certainly very relieved, this could have been much much worse.
I've heard it could be up to 4-6 months for her recovery due to her diabetes. But yes, no surgery is AWESOME news.

Awesome news. I suspected a sprain with they showed the replay. The way she reacted made me think it was much worse though.

Baylor will be very tough again next season. Should be even more versatile with Smith and Ego alongside Cox in the paint. Smith already has a nice jumper. If she can extend her range to the 3 like Cox they will be a hard guard.
With 2 to 3 giants, Baylor can successfully pound the ball in-low. But versatile teams that shoot 3 pointers still can compete against Baylor. For Tennessee to be relevant, we must embrace the 3 pointers.

Reactions: VolBall09
I've heard it could be up to 4-6 months for her recovery due to her diabetes. But yes, no surgery is AWESOME news.
yes, you're right. diabetes is definitely an important factor in her prognosis. i'm sure many
folks will be praying for her complete recovery.

Reactions: BUBear
Lauren is the oldest of the four Cox daughters.

The second oldest will play hoops for the 2019 DII Champions Lubbock Christian next season.

Third in line just won the Texas State 6A VB Championship and was voted D/FW PoY.

Baby girl was 6' tall at age twelve and is a gym rat with a deadly three ball. She already holds an offer from Kim to play at Baylor.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Encouraging news from a Bear in Waco last night.

geewago

The Lady Bears ventured out today to eat a fairly late lunch at TeJuns Seafood Cajun restaurant that has recently been built on 77 about 4 miles south of the circle in Robinson. Messer was corralling the team and keeping them organized as they feasted on crab legs and shrimp. Lauren Cox was walking around like nothing ever happened. She jumped up several times from the table and went scooting up to the counter to get something and if it hadn't been for the brace you saw on her leg you'd never guess she was injured at all.

2017 photo of the Cox sisters

CmPoWM5VYAEPkVz.jpeg

From Prentice Beverlys Ballin Prep Report March 2018:

2023 Maddie Cox 6'0 F
Flower Mound, TX (CY-Fair Elite)
Combine size, skill, versatility, and a profound knowledge of the game and you have Maddie Cox. She can start your offense, you can run it through her in the post, and she is a top notch facilitator. Maddie is dynamic in pick and roll situations and does a really good job diving to the basket and making herself available to receive passes. She utilizes her size and length on the defensive end as well. Cox does a good job protecting the rim, playing the passing lanes, and getting deflections.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376
Like Cox, our new freshman, Jessie Rennie, has juvenile diabetes, The coaches will need to monitor her carefully, including in game situations. I really admire kids like these who have the strength, confidence, and determination not to let their disease keep them from realizing their dreams.

VN Store

Back