Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Here is what I am struggling with...what is the point of lockdowns now?

Last year this time, I can at least understand the argument. Flatten the curve, get our arms around this thing, figure out what is going on, don't overload hospitals. I can buy that.

But why now? Are we STILL trying to flatten the curve? Do we still not know what this is? We have tests, we have vaccines, we have infrastructure. At the very least, even the most diehard fear peddling bro would have to admit we are closer to herd immunity now than we were a year ago. Everything - literally everything - is at least marginally if not significantly better than last year.

So what gives - why are some places still in March 2020 style lockdowns? Can anybody explain this to me?

Last year this time, I can at least understand the argument. Flatten the curve, get our arms around this thing, figure out what is going on, don't overload hospitals. I can buy that.

But why now? Are we STILL trying to flatten the curve? Do we still not know what this is? We have tests, we have vaccines, we have infrastructure. At the very least, even the most diehard fear peddling bro would have to admit we are closer to herd immunity now than we were a year ago. Everything - literally everything - is at least marginally if not significantly better than last year.

So what gives - why are some places still in March 2020 style lockdowns? Can anybody explain this to me?

If you're asking this question, you actually already know the answer.

Your rhetorical questions are great. And, I highly doubt anyone will have an explanation which is not founded in the future of this getting worse.

So it looks like Abbott is gonna do the old herd immunity test. Any of the herd immunity bros wanna venture how this ends up? Given that you believe we're "approaching" herd immunity you don't foresee any additional waves and instead predict a slow, continued gradual decline in Texas cases, correct?

Just wanna get you on the record before the Texas experiment starts.
There will be waves, just like the rest of the country. At some point in time Texas will be the "worst", just like the rest of the country. People from not Texas will bring their germs to Texas keeping gradual cases going long after it should have. And most of those will come from your self righteous mandate states.

There will be waves, just like the rest of the country. At some point in time Texas will be the "worst", just like the rest of the country. People from not Texas will bring their germs to Texas keeping gradual cases going long after it should have. And most of those will come from your self righteous mandate states.

So in other words, Texas will see more surges because there are still plenty of susceptible people and will not see a gradual, steady decline indicative of an approaching herd immunity.

So in other words, Texas will see more surges because there are still plenty of susceptible people and will not see a gradual, steady decline indicative of an approaching herd immunity.
If vulnerable people are cavalier about the virus, that decision is on them. Lifting the mandates does not mean people are prohibited from taking prudent precautions.

Guess we’ll see.
That's why I'm trying to get all the herd immunity bros out here to say that because Texas is nearing herd immunity levels, there will be no more surges and just a steady decline as immunity becomes even more widespread.

Overall you will see a decline, even with the peaks. Just like the rest of the country.

Remember the "sweden" method wasnt designed to limit cases, so it's not a failure if cases go up. It's only your "mandate" methods that are designed to limit cases, and so are failing.

The point of the sweden method is to limit the collateral damage.

If vulnerable people are cavalier about the virus, that decision is on them. Lifting the mandates does not mean people are prohibited from taking prudent precautions.

Many will interpret the action as an "all clear" sign. I wish people were smarter, but you know that's the case.

Overall you will see a decline, even with the peaks. Just like the rest of the country.

Remember the "sweden" method wasnt designed to limit cases, so it's not a failure if cases go up. It's only your "mandate" methods that are designed to limit cases, and so are failing.

The point of the sweden method is to limit the collateral damage.
Sweden is entering it's third wave by the way. Just another data point for the herd immunity bros to explain.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/sweden-warns-of-first-lockdown-amid-surge-in-covid-19-cases/

Many will interpret the action as an "all clear" sign. I wish people were smarter, but you know that's the case.

You want me to counter an ill-defined number of people, and an interpretation by those people, and only the black and white interpretation as "all clear" or "all danger"?

I can't do it. I won't do it. I am very thankful I do not live in your hyper-reactive world, though.

Sweden is entering it's third wave by the way. Just another data point for the herd immunity bros to explain.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/sweden-warns-of-first-lockdown-amid-surge-in-covid-19-cases/
Dont you remember Sweden abandoning their early method of no lock downs?

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-swedens-new-covid-lockdown-law-takes-effect/a-56185101

You were all in a tizzy over it back when it happened. But now that its convenient for you to forget, you did.

They are seeing their third wave WITH the increased protections the rest of the continent has been failing with.

Congrats, you played yourself.

Dont you remember Sweden abandoning their early method of no lock downs?

Coronavirus: Sweden's new COVID lockdown law takes effect | DW | 10.01.2021

You were all in a tizzy over it back when it happened. But now that its convenient for you to forget, you did.

They are seeing their third wave WITH the increased protections the rest of the continent has been failing with.

Congrats, you played yourself.

That is the law that gave Sweden the power to order lockdowns. No lockdown was ordered. But thanks for playing.

Sweden has avoided a COVID-19 lockdown so far: Has its strategy worked?

So, when are you going to crawl out of your hole and stop eating canned sardines? COVID is here to stay and the likelihood of the virus being eradicated from society is low. What statistics do you need to see to have that warm & fuzzy feeling allowing you to cease the zoom calls and enter a PUBLIX?

That's why I'm trying to get all the herd immunity bros out here to say that because Texas is nearing herd immunity levels, there will be no more surges and just a steady decline as immunity becomes even more widespread.

Texas is like the rest of the world. 1% is vulnerable and 99% isn’t. Over 20% of their population has received the first round of the vaccine. If it works and it was administered to the vulnerable like it was suppose to then they should be good.

I agree with you 100% but I can tell you what the liberals will say: It's about saving lives. In other words, lifting the mandates now might mean another 100 people lose their lives. What are their lives worth?

My answer is that life is full of risks. Everyone can decide what risk they want to take . John Madden chose not to take the risk of flying. If we really were all about minimizing deaths we'd have a 10mph speed limit on our highways.

VN Store

Back