Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Oh, and none of that "wear a mask as you walk to your table" BS, either.

I’ve been saying the same thing about where we live in the Tide water area this whole time . People have it a real consideration for about 2-3 weeks in the beginning and then the majority of people just said nah I’m not doing it . I watched posts talking about Trumpers being antimaskers while seeing all these liberals walking around daily without one on , to be honest I don’t believe that the majority of people around this area have any faith in the numbers that are being put out for national consumption in this or anyone state .

From the article:

"Weekly cases have exceeded those reported when the pandemic first peaked in Europe in March," he said. "Last week, the region's weekly tally exceeded 300,000 patients."

Sounds scary right? Then you look back at March and realize that the first peak in "Europe" was really peaks in a small number of countries; it had barely touched other parts of Europe. It is no surprise that once Covid was active in all parts of Europe that we would see more total cases across this much larger swath of population than the peak among a much smaller population.

"More than half of European countries have reported a greater than 10% increase in cases in the past two weeks," said Kluge.

So something just under half are not seeing such an increase. Also, we need to know the base line for understanding a 10% increase. Did Finland go from 1000 to 1100 cases? 100 to 110?

Has this surge caused a commensurate rise in death? Overcrowding of hospitals? Shortage of supplies/equipment?

Finally, the WHO told us China had it contained, that it wasn't human to human transmission and any number of wrong "facts".

Hooray for the lockdown!

119636536_10157348495452483_9048483410825191352_n.png

The concept of herd immunity is moot if antibodies don’t last or aren’t viable. It’s why we deal with the flu every year.

It is extremely rare if not unheard of for someone to get C19 twice so one would have to conclude based on the evidence so far that antibodies are effective. It is possible that this will become something where they recommend annual vaccinations. However your analogy with the flu isn't a good one 'cause they generally vary it from yr to yr based upon different strains of flu.

Let's chat again after wave 2 Einstein. Coming soon.

Nothing wrong with changing one's opinion as more information comes out. If a wave 2 hits, we can look at that as new information and evaluate it. But in this instance you were given a chance to amend your opinion based upon the value of hindsight and you put up this turd of a post. That's on you

It is extremely rare if not unheard of for someone to get C19 twice so one would have to conclude based on the evidence so far that antibodies are effective. It is possible that this will become something where they recommend annual vaccinations. However your analogy with the flu isn't a good one 'cause they generally vary it from yr to yr based upon different strains of flu.

This is a good resource:
Can you catch the coronavirus twice? Here's what research says.

The science isn’t settled (not surprising for a novel pathogen) but there is reason to doubt any hypothesis at this point.

Should we err on the side of affirming individual rights or taking individual rights away, in the face of a lack of evidence? I think that's what you guys are discussing?

Reactions: McDad
Should we err on the side of affirming individual rights or taking individual rights away, in the face of a lack of evidence? I think that's what you guys are discussing?

The best you can do at this point is advise mask wearing and social distancing. After you advise you leave it up to the personal responsibility of the individual and what they prefer to do. The evidence on mask effectiveness is very skanty due to the fact that we have given 0 personal training to people on how to properly fit/wear a mask and these other face coverings are utterly worthless. It cracks me up with all of this Dem and mask mandate crap because it all utter BS. You also put people at more risk with masks because they are touching around their faces much more often. At my place of work we had 0 cases in house before a strict mask mandate was put in place, we have now have 4. Was that purely due to masks? I’d say not but I wouldn’t call it purely coincidental either.

NY does not seem to be seeing any significant bump from labor day

There is zero reason for NYC to be locked down! Cuomo is either woefully ignorant about the virus or he is doing it politically to keep the economy down, unemployment high and hurt the Trump campaign for 2020.

I would say it is a mix of both but mostly political.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
There is zero reason for NYC to be locked down! Cuomo is either woefully ignorant about the virus or he is doing it politically to keep the economy down, unemployment high and hurt the Trump campaign for 2020.

I would say it is a mix of both but mostly political.
I am no Cuomo fan but this is an absurd position. Hurt Trump? Trump had zero chance of winning NY no matter what

I am no Cuomo fan but this is an absurd position. Hurt Trump? Trump had zero chance of winning NY no matter what

It’s not about winning NY. It’s about the economy. NY represents a good portion of the American economy, a shut down New York is bad for the economy and will help the spike in the unemployment numbers. If NY and CA were to open back up you would see a quicker overall economic recovery and less unemployment rate which would hurt the Dems. You don’t keep a city of 18M shut down due to something that is affecting 800 people or .004% of your population.

VN Store

Back