Late 80s games and projectiles

The basketball team got pelted with oranges at Vandy a lot during the Mears era. I saw Bear Bryant get hit with an orange here once and he started standing in front of the goal post during warm ups because of it. He also started wearing a helmet on to the field at Georgia Tech because of all the liquor bottles thown at him.

Last edited:
Kentucky basketball fans flipped a lit cigarette into Bernard Kings hair a long with all the racial stuff. UK fans are the worst.

Yes, in the late 80’s Knox County passed a projectile law allowing prosecution for throwing items at games. Mostly to protect the lower bowl from the upper deck. There was always some knucklehead in DD who would throw a whiskey bottle and if the rest of the section didn’t grab him, security would finish them off. Once saw a old guy in overalls pickup up a kid by his duckheads and delivered him to security after throwing a Wild Turkey bottle.

Last edited:
I remember a game when I was a kid, seeing a guy throw a paper airplane—and security had him in an arm bar within about 3 seconds. Not sure about everywhere else, but these days the security personnel in my section aren’t exactly physically imposing. And certainly nowhere near able to counter a hundred people throwing stuff. I think the only solution (to deter this stuff in the future) is to dig through videos and make some examples out of people.

I think the UT AD should ban all students from the next home game, so no student section for one game. That would make a statement and prevent future infractions. That would also send a message that we take our fan behavior seriously.

I've seen tons of comments about Florida fans being trash.

Are the participants in the fray from this past Saturday's game victims?

Our student section rained plastic cups on the field back in 1991 after Andy Kelley threw a pick-six to seal the win for us. The piss balloon incident happened in 1993. Reports were Vicki Fulmer got groped on the field that same game. I don’t doubt anything that happened…I’ve posted here on several occasions, in 1991 and 1993 our students were out of control.

UF’s poor fan reputation was born from those two games. Now our students can’t be bothered to show up until the first quarter is almost over.

On the flip side, some of our band members were attacked and had stuff thrown at them in leaving Neyland in 1998. I dodged no fewer than a half dozen drunken UT fans looking for a fight walking from the stadium that night. I made it to the car without incident, but did witness two fights involving UT fans. That night was crazy.

Our visitor section had cups and bottles thrown at us in the south end zone lower bowl in Baton Rouge in 1997, 1999, 2001 and 2007. Apparently that’s what they do.

Raise your hand if you’ve seen a UGA fan act a fool…..now everyone put your hands down.

For you guys on Saturday it was the perfect storm of Kiffin coming back to town, UT being competitive and entertaining, bad officiating, a full day of drinking/tailgating, and a national TV broadcast capturing it all.

I don’t condone what your fans did, just as I don’t condone the actions of our fans or LSU fans, or any fan base that behaves that way. It’s unfortunate, but it happens, and it will continue to happen given the right set of circumstances.

I've been trying really hard to care about what happened and it's not working. Meanwhile some guys are literally losing sleep over it.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I remember seeing one of the tightest of spirals on an empty stadium cup in the 80’s, but I also remember seeing empty Jack bottles being thrown as well.

It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

I saw reports on the parents board that some of the trash throwing started from the Ole Miss section above the band.

I don’t know as I was watching the game from the house.

Reactions: Coyote
I think the UT AD should ban all students from the next home game, so no student section for one game. That would make a statement and prevent future infractions. That would also send a message that we take our fan behavior seriously.
Pretty extreme and won't happen. Just like they won't cut off beer sales because of how much money it brings in.

Am I crazy or do I not remember cups, toilet paper, beach balls, etc flying out of the stands?? I swear there were stories of whiskey bottles hitting opposing helmets. Did I live that or was i a wasted Freshman? All answers are ok lol

This went on in the 2000’s when I was in Knoxville. Not quite to the extent that we saw on TV Saturday. But delinquents in the student section and elsewhere is nothing new. Knoxville just forgot what it was like to have an emotionally invested fanbase.

Obligatory: it still shouldn’t happen…dole out the punishments and let’s move forward

I believe you are thinking of Alan Cockrill. Hit in shoulder with stadium seat.
Nope. It was Randy Sanders. Cockrell was a starter & we were in Knoxville in 1982 when Tennessee defeated Bama during Bear Bryant's last visit to Knoxville.

VN Store

Back