Late 80s games and projectiles

rockytophigh

Rod Wilks is my co-pilot
Am I crazy or do I not remember cups, toilet paper, beach balls, etc flying out of the stands?? I swear there were stories of whiskey bottles hitting opposing helmets. Did I live that or was i a wasted Freshman? All answers are ok lol

Am I crazy or do I not remember cups, toilet paper, beach balls, etc flying out of the stands?? I swear there were stories of whiskey bottles hitting opposing helmets. Did I live that or was i a wasted Freshman? All answers are ok lol
People acting like what we did is the first time it’s ever happened I was there when UF fans threw piss balloons at fulmer and I’ve seen opposing fans throw corn dogs at LSU players and fans but apparently what we did makes us thugs and trash.

You and I both remember those days the same way. Lots of whisky bottles, streamers, toilet paper and other items flying onto the field and hitting fans/players. I got hit several times while in the student section. There was probably less security at the entrance gates then too.

As @USAFgolferVol said, there was no social media to spread the pictures/video.

I had a friend that attended NC State in the 80s that still brags about the time he poured a full coke on Michael Jordan's head as he came out the tunnel.

I have not been a Vol fan for a long time, so I am not steeped in the details or tradition. I am not surprised to hear that the past had things thrown because I think that it has happened at a lot of schools over the years. Not a good thing, but also not a huge deal either. Websites need clicks, so they are making it a much bigger deal than it is. From my perspective, Vol fans are good people with great traditions and a great game atmosphere. A lot of schools would be better off to be like Tennessee.

To add to the social media angle, there are also a lot more social nfluencers aka as what used to be "journalists" writing about it.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Vaguely remember being at an Army game during the 80's which we either tied or lost and seeing a crap-ton of the white plastic cups being thrown at a group of servicemen celebrating on the field.

A few points from that time:
  • Hard objects like whiskey bottles, baseballs, stadium seats(!) were off limits and would get you arrested
  • Litter, especially toilet paper “rolls” at Tide games, was mostly ignored unless it got out of hand.
  • I seem to remember that concessions switched from bottles to cups because they were harder to throw
  • Different arrangements were tried to separate fans from the visiting team: put the band behind the visitors, move the visiting team to the west sideline where the alumni were (supposedly) better behaved
  • UT frequently got pelted with oranges at away games
  • Throwing was sporadic and game stoppages were uncommon
So, Saturday was not unprecedented, but IMHO, it’s dangerous (hard objects), interferes with the game, and just reflects poorly on the school. I would prefer our crowds to be loud, to be supportive of the team, to have traditions, and to be hospitable to visitors. Not really interested in becoming a European soccer crowd.

People acting like what we did is the first time it’s ever happened I was there when UF fans threw piss balloons at fulmer and I’ve seen opposing fans throw corn dogs at LSU players and fans but apparently what we did makes us thugs and trash.
I've seen tons of comments about Florida fans being trash.

Are the participants in the fray from this past Saturday's game victims?

Definitely not victims. I did some stupid **** Saturday, I was drinking, I’m having problems at home, then the game was gas in the flame for me personally. Those who acted obscene aren’t victims at all, but still I know people personally who are fans of auburn, Florida, LSU etc acting like our fans are some unique monster now bc if this.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Definitely not victims. I did some stupid **** Saturday, I was drinking, I’m having problems at home, then the game was gas in the flame for me personally. Those who acted obscene aren’t victims at all, but still I know people personally who are fans of auburn, Florida, LSU etc acting like our fans are some unique monster now bc if this.
I get it. Having a supposedly neutral party ruin a good time is a trigger. Especially when the good time is an escape from other "realities"

Reactions: Berry4Heisman14
Doesn't matter. No place for either in the game. Both are/were wrong.

Saturday at Neyland was an isolated occurrence.

UF's situation was a behavior repeated at multiple games over numerous seasons. And it was the reason the SEC now prohibits student sections from being directly behind the visiting bench.

What we learned was.. if you hit the refs with ice balls, they make it harder for you to win the next game. Baker just learned the same lesson by criticizing the refs.

VN Store

Back