Last time a coach went to same conference?

Dougie_D

I really had thoughts that Dan Mullen would come to TN. Even considered him being a lock to FL.
But when was the last time a coach from a Power 5 school took another job while NOT being on the hot seat or even fired?

the last time I remember a sec team poaching another SEC coach was Auburn taking Tubberville from Ole Miss.

Muschamp wasn’t a sitting head coach when USCjr got him

Franklin went from Vandy to Penn State, Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas.

Huston Nut went from Arkansas to Ole Miss is the last time I remember.

Nutt left before he got fired especially once the FOIA showed he was potentially in an inappropriate relationship with a local broadcaster.

Edit - Update for obsessed comment

Last edited:
It's rare for a Power 5 coach to go to another Power 5 school so a coach switching teams within the conference is like seeing bigfoot.

Within conference is very rare. Nutt did it and I think Tuberville may have as well. Also fairly rare that coaches will go from one P5 school to another - Bielema and Miles come to mind right now.

Tommy Tuberville was most successful I can remember. Switching from Ole Miss to Auburn and eventually going undefeated. Just missed out on chance to play for Natty because Oklahoma and USC started season higher so Auburn never could jump them. But back to story at hand. Yes it does happen occasionally of coaches going with in conference provided the job is a much better job.

DiNardo, Tuberville, Nutt, Pat Dye wasn’t a head coach at Bama but that was still pretty controversial and so was Bill Oliver

Dickey went from Tennessee to Fla. It was a career blunder so far as coaching was concerned. Had Dickey stayed at UT he would have won a National Championship.

Reactions: 2 people
Bryant also coached at Texas A%M before going to Kentucky so he coached at 3 SEC schools even though Texas A%M was in the Southwest Conference at the time.

VN Store

Back