Last big TN win

OrangeBeachVol

Just watched a replay of the TN/FL game in the swamp that was played in Dec. 2001 due to 911 and was thinking this may have been Vols last big win in FB. I keep thinking it can't be but I believe it is. Sad thing about is we lost the very next week to an LSU,team that we had beaten earlier in the season, and that win would have put us in the NCG. Probably biggest loss in TN history. Have I forgotten any other big wins since then?

UGA in 07 and 16.
Florida in 16.
Cal in the 06 opener.
LSU in the 05 opener.

First thoughts I had were LSU in 2005 and Georgia 2007. Both finished the season in the top 5.

Florida finished ranked in 2016. Georgia did not.

Cal finished ranked in 2006

South Carolina finished in the top 5 in 2013 as well.

And while no one wants to think of it that way, Kentucky did finish just outside the top 10 last year.

I guess it depends on the definition of "big win".

My definition is, what did that win lead to? The 2001 UF game put UT in a position to play for a NC. That certainly qualifies.

The UF and UGA win's in '16 kept UT undefeated at the time and set up a showdown with aTm. UT was still in the SEC E mix late in Nov.

Just watched a replay of the TN/FL game in the swamp that was played in Dec. 2001 due to 911 and was thinking this may have been Vols last big win in FB. I keep thinking it can't be but I believe it is. Sad thing about is we lost the very next week to an LSU,team that we had beaten earlier in the season, and that win would have put us in the NCG. Probably biggest loss in TN history. Have I forgotten any other big wins since then?
It is hands down the biggest loss in the history of Tennessee football, but we have won some big games since then (I guess that depends on how you define 'big')... but:

@ Florida 2003 (any win in the Swamp is big)
@ Miami 2003
@ Georgia 2004
Cal 2006
Georgia 2007

The question is How big? Last years upsets of ranked Ky and Auburn were big. Imagine we don’t pull those out and finish with 3 wins. VN would be a dang disaster area.

Charlotte win last year.
To close for comfort but the L would have been North Texas/ Wyoming BAD & Pruitt would have been on the HOT hot seat and the team may have laid down rest of year. Like they did for Vanderbilt at the end of season.

Auburn last year was absolutely huge until they punked November and undid all the good work accomplished previously. Big wins can always be negated with subsequent failure, in football and all other walks of life.

Big wins are obviously subjective. Were last years wins over AU and KY big for us as a fanbase? Sure they were. Were they big to the rest of the country or the college football landscape? Not one bit.

So if we are talking significant wins that impact all of college football, OP is right, imo. That was our last big win.

Since wins have been somewhat rare and difficult to come by of late. I consider any win to be a big one.

VN Store

Back