Larry Scott

Care to explain? With details?

I see this repeated constantly on here like its a fact but all one has to do is look at our offense the last few years to see how ridiculous this thought process is..

Nobody knows for sure. None of us are at practice and in meeting rooms with the coaches/players during the week.

However, it doesn't take incredible insight to look at the OCs Butch has had, look at the offense each of them have run, and conclude that it is Butch's offense. He plugged guys in there who are just going to do what he wants them to do.

The 3 OCs Butch had at Tennessee were all what I call "lazy" or "easy" hires on his part. He brought over Bajakian, who is a personal buddy of Butch and had been with him for years. After Bajakian leaves, Butch brings Mike DeBord, another personal buddy, out of coaching retirement to be his OC. When DeBord leaves, he promotes Larry Scott from within, a guy who has not been an OC or called plays since 2004 at a Florida high school. He supplemented Scott with Mike Canales as QB coach, another guy Butch was familiar with and was previously coaching TEs at powerhouse Utah State. Before that, he was an assistant at North Texas. Call me crazy, but I don't exactly think any of these guys are cream of the crop coaches. They are probably fine coaches at a lower level, but this is big time SEC football we are talking about. Not Central Michigan.

Butch had a chance to bring in someone like Helfrich, Chris Weinke, or a more innovative, capable offensive mind, but I don't think he ever wanted that. A more competent OC would likely challenge Butch or want to do things in a new or different way, and that isn't Butch's style. I think he wants yes men, worker bee-type guys under him on the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: 3 people
Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde lists Tennessee's Larry Scott among worst coordinator hires in college football.....I hope that just maybe Hoke does something with the offense this week

Unfortunately not enough time:)

I was trying say....since we are getting a new staff anyway. ...let's see if they were restricted or just bad coaching. ....and put the debate to rest

Reactions: 1 person
- Why Wells was in way over his head. OLine never stood a chance. “....Do I have to kick you in the Nuts?” Truly motivational....

- Our WR receiver coach was so clueless, Butch brought in 2 experienced WR coaching “consultants” in the spring to help him.

- Strength and conditioning coach was another bust. Some of the players bought in, some didn’t. Mass injuries and players being gassed at the end of games.

Agree on all points except S&C. Rock's a proven S&C coach, it just takes a couple of years to see the results of a strength and conditioning program.

He was running Jones' offence. We really don't know don't know what he is capable of.
You guys act like LC has nothing to do with our abysmal offense. For the record, Butch DID NOT call the plays, that was LC and he has to be the worst play caller I've ever seen.

Reactions: 2 people
If that is the case then one thing he isn't capable of is manning up and telling his boss that he the system is crap.

Whether he did or not is irrelevant. It was CBJ's way or the highway. How many OC's did Jones have in Five years? 3 for sure, 4 maybe?

Reactions: 1 person
You guys act like LC has nothing to do with our abysmal offense. For the record, Butch DID NOT call the plays, that was LC and he has to be the worst play caller I've ever seen.

Maybe so but he still only has the plays in Jones' offense available to him. Debord had Dobbs to turn a s**t play into something positive. LS does not. Besides, nothing works when the line can't block or hold a block.

I see this repeated constantly on here like its a fact but all one has to do is look at our offense the last few years to see how ridiculous this thought process is..

FCBJ's offense took one of the worst passing QBs (with regard to technique arm strength, accuracy and decision making)to start multiple seasons at UT and him finish in the top 5 passes in the history of the program. This offense also took a guy who all the keyboard coaches here claim was playing out of position and make him the fifth highest rusher in school history only 400 or so yards from the number 1 spot. This while playing behind suspect o-lines and splitting time with Kamara AND quitting a little past half way of his third season.

So you guys look kind of silly saying there was something wrong with the offense before Larry Scott got here.

Josh Dobbs made it work because he could move the pocket and kill you with his legs.

Maybe so but he still only has the plays in Jones' offense available to him. Debord had Dobbs to turn a s**t play into something positive. LS does not. Besides, nothing works when the line can't block or hold a block.
I'll give you the O-line problems, but there are plenty of plays in our play book that we rarely call. For example, screen plays, draws or jet sweeps to JK. We've run all of those successfully in the past, but LC seems clueless about when to run them. We continue to run the same stupid run plays into the interior of the D hoping by some miracle JK will break it. That has NOTHING to do with Butch.

Furthermore, it's extremely short sighted to say we were only successful because of Dobbs. Of course he made this offense click, but Debord is light years ahead of LC in getting the O ready to play, game planning and calling plays. It takes more than a talented QB to set a record for points scored. Under LC, we can't even seem to execute a snap correctly.

So, I guess you would be okay keeping LC on since it was all because of Butch :crazy:

Added the word "history" to your post to make it more accurate.

I would say hiring Scott is as bad as hiring Sal Sunseri but Shoop's defense has been worse than Sunseri's.

Wow
Short memory i see.

Sal gave up 770 yards...to TROY!!

Reactions: 3 people
Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde lists Tennessee's Larry Scott among worst coordinator hires in college football.....I hope that just maybe Hoke does something with the offense this week

There's s overwhelming evidence that backs that statement up.

It will be interesting to see if Hoke gives him the reigns. This Butch-fence had been the same for five years. It apears we've only had an OC in name only. My expectation is that we'll see more of Coach Scott's personality. If it's enough to save his job remains to be seen.

I totally disagree on Scott. Butch was a total douche when it came to his offense, the OC's were given little control and no creativity. Scott had his hands tied the entire season especially with all the injuries and breaking in a new QB. Blame Butch, don't blame coach Scott.

Reactions: 2 people
I had him at the top of my list the day he was hired. Couldn't believe Jones would hitch his wagon to a guy with no OC experience knowing his job was on the line.

He was running Jones' offence. We really don't know don't know what he is capable of.

Oh BS. This offense was infinitely better with Bajakian and Debord. Scott calls the plays and several times he will call something just idiotic as hell. Tubberville called out one of these idiotic calls. Scott maybe calling Butch's system but he calls plays which put our players in a position to fail more often than not. Scott is absolute trash as an OC and probably the worst one in college football.

- Why Wells was in way over his head. OLine never stood a chance. “....Do I have to kick you in the Nuts?” Truly motivational....

- Our WR receiver coach was so clueless, Butch brought in 2 experienced WR coaching “consultants” in the spring to help him.

- Strength and conditioning coach was another bust. Some of the players bought in, some didn’t. Mass injuries and players being gassed at the end of games.

Sorry, but I don't buy your last bullet about S&C being a bust. I blame injuries on Butch not playing the game of football during his practices....smash-mouth, big-boy, tackle you to the ground, play till you vomit football. I have heard some stories, one linked to a former player from long ago, that Butch's practices were very heavy on drills and very light on hitting, etc. No scrimmaging at all for any length of time.

"Situational football" or 1- and 2-minute drills using "thud" rules is not playing the game of football...real, live football for extended periods of time, just like they play on Saturday.

Since Butch has been here, I have never heard a single word from a player about how "hard" the practices were.

I believe Butch's philosophy was to "save" players for the games...which led to us being soft during those games and which led to so many injuries.

We were not scarred, battle-tested, sore and banged up after those practices.

I saw a soft football team out there getting pushed around by just about everybody we played.

Let's hope Hoke is playing the game of football during practices henceforth.

I think Scott was coordinator in title only. He was handcuffed so much that he had no mark on the offense.

Completely agree. Just like when Clawson came in for Fulmer's last year, the failure shouldn't be a complete indictment on him. Clawson has turned out to be a good coach. Jury should still be out on coach Scott just knowing what a control freak Butch was.

Nobody knows for sure. None of us are at practice and in meeting rooms with the coaches/players during the week.

However, it doesn't take incredible insight to look at the OCs Butch has had, look at the offense each of them have run, and conclude that it is Butch's offense. He plugged guys in there who are just going to do what he wants them to do.

The 3 OCs Butch had at Tennessee were all what I call "lazy" or "easy" hires on his part. He brought over Bajakian, who is a personal buddy of Butch and had been with him for years. After Bajakian leaves, Butch brings Mike DeBord, another personal buddy, out of coaching retirement to be his OC. When DeBord leaves, he promotes Larry Scott from within, a guy who has not been an OC or called plays since 2004 at a Florida high school. He supplemented Scott with Mike Canales as QB coach, another guy Butch was familiar with and was previously coaching TEs at powerhouse Utah State. Before that, he was an assistant at North Texas. Call me crazy, but I don't exactly think any of these guys are cream of the crop coaches. They are probably fine coaches at a lower level, but this is big time SEC football we are talking about. Not Central Michigan.

Butch had a chance to bring in someone like Helfrich, Chris Weinke, or a more innovative, capable offensive mind, but I don't think he ever wanted that. A more competent OC would likely challenge Butch or want to do things in a new or different way, and that isn't Butch's style. I think he wants yes men, worker bee-type guys under him on the offensive side of the ball.

I could give two craps about all that..

How did this offense that is so damn terrible according to so many keyboard coaches on here, along with two lackeys at OC put a suspect QB and a TE playing running back into the Top 5 all time at their respective positions?

The biggest problem with this offense is poor line play, something Walt Wells was hired to fix. For whatever reason that didn't work but it's is for certain this offense with CBJ as the Head Coach rolled up a ton of yards before Larry Scott got here.

Completely agree. Just like when Clawson came in for Fulmer's last year, the failure shouldn't be a complete indictment on him. Clawson has turned out to be a good coach. Jury should still be out on coach Scott just knowing what a control freak Butch was.

Again stating VN legend as fact

any real examples on the control freak thing. Not some silly crap dreamed up by one of these keyboard coaches.

FCBJ's offense took one of the worst passing QBs (with regard to technique arm strength, accuracy and decision making)to start multiple seasons at UT and him finish in the top 5 passes in the history of the program. This offense also took a guy who all the keyboard coaches here claim was playing out of position and make him the fifth highest rusher in school history only 400 or so yards from the number 1 spot. This while playing behind suspect o-lines and splitting time with Kamara AND quitting a little past half way of his third season.

So you guys look kind of silly saying there was something wrong with the offense before Larry Scott got here.

Give Jones all the credit you want for this miserable offense. Not a single time at Cincinnati or Tennessee did it crack the top 20 in total offense for a season.

It relied on the play making ability of Dobbs and others over any real and tangible schematics to make it effective.

And if Jones does get credit for the success of the offense under DeBord and Bajakian, he sure as hell deserves every ounce of blame for hiring Scott in the first place.

I could give two craps about all that..

How did this offense that is so damn terrible according to so many keyboard coaches on here, along with two lackeys at OC put a suspect QB and a TE playing running back into the Top 5 all time at their respective positions?

The biggest problem with this offense is poor line play, something Walt Wells was hired to fix. For whatever reason that didn't work but it's is for certain this offense with CBJ as the Head Coach rolled up a ton of yards before Larry Scott got here.

Dobbs was drafted 4th rd this year and made the team as a back in one of the better organizations in the NFL.

I'd say your posting skills are more suspect than his QB skills based on what I have seen.

VN Store

Back