Larry Scott thankful for time coaching at Tennessee

You cant blame Scott. That was all on Butch. Just like Butch had no business coaching at Tn but they were dumb enough to hiew him

Exactly. He was a solid hire as TE coach. Might have even turned out to be a decent OC. But it's not his fault Butch wanted to put him in as a figure head so Butch could run his 'hurry up and punt' (also known as 2 WR screens, HB dive, and punt) offense.

IMO he and Clawson are neck and neck in the worst OCs we've had in modern times. Sanders would be a close 3rd.

That offense and play calling was worse than 50% of the high schools in the state. I think Botch was tanking the entire program on purpose -- including his hiring of Scott as OC.

That offense and play calling was worse than 50% of the high schools in the state. I think Botch was tanking the entire program on purpose -- including his hiring of Scott as OC.

No because Butch was never going to let a proven OC run the offense in his stupid system.

Reactions: tnvols72
I don't get the negativity. He was offered a Job and tried. He isn't throwing shade at us why throw shade at him? No one in their mind thought he was a homerun hire. No one thought he was gonna be the actual OC. It was a regrettable time in Vols Football but lets not just hate on everyone because they were there. The blame for what happened that year falls squarely in the lap of one man. The one who called the shots. Jones wanted to run the offense and he threw Scott out there to the dogs. the guy, as far as I know, did the best job he was capable of and is giving good press to the VOls after all that. take it and keep moving.

I just don't get the need to throw potshots at everyone that's no longer here every chance given. Every breakup does not have to end in negativity. For all we know he might spend a few years as head coach at Howard and become a hot commodity as an OC or position coach or even head coach here 10-5 years down the road. Don't burn perfectly good bridges.

Exactly. He was a solid hire as TE coach. Might have even turned out to be a decent OC. But it's not his fault Butch wanted to put him in as a figure head so Butch could run his 'hurry up and punt' (also known as 2 WR screens, HB dive, and punt) offense.
Totally Agree... Jones was the problem with his Mickey Mouse offense. No legit OC wanted to work under him. Wish Coach Scott success at Howard.

VFL...GBO

I don't get the negativity. He was offered a Job and tried. He isn't throwing shade at us why throw shade at him? No one in their mind thought he was a homerun hire. No one thought he was gonna be the actual OC. It was a regrettable time in Vols Football but lets not just hate on everyone because they were there. The blame for what happened that year falls squarely in the lap of one man. The one who called the shots. Jones wanted to run the offense and he threw Scott out there to the dogs. the guy, as far as I know, did the best job he was capable of and is giving good press to the VOls after all that. take it and keep moving.

I just don't get the need to throw potshots at everyone that's no longer here every chance given. Every breakup does not have to end in negativity. For all we know he might spend a few years as head coach at Howard and become a hot commodity as an OC or position coach or even head coach here 10-5 years down the road. Don't burn perfectly good bridges.
If you're looking for a low sodium forum, boy are you in the wrong place.

Legend has it Coach Scott is still trying to decide what play to run on 3rd down...........

That said, hard to know how much of that was flat out inexperience on Scott's part and how much was having Lyle's beet-red face spewing spittle at him that his system was INFALLIABLE!!!!!!!

Yeah and Bob Shoop sucks as a defensive coordinator, right?

No one knows how good Scott could have been with numb nuts as his boss.

VN Store

Back