Lane>hurd

How were they stacking the box? I only saw six hats in there for most plays.

The bigger issue is our scheme. We tried to run with five linemen blocking those six with no TE or FB on many plays.

7-8 nearly every play.

Hurd was a broke tackle away from taking 2 or 3 runs 20+ yards. Lane is the better option right now, and it's pretty clear on the field; however, for the first time since probably Coker we have a RB in Hurd that when he touches the ball your heart stops for a second due to the anticipation of him breaking one loose for a 60 yard TD. Every time Hurd gets the ball he has the potential to go the distance. Just the acknowledgment of this from our opponets should help in the pass game, and we saw that last night when Utah State pushed 7 guys in the box and Worley made them pay for it.

Reactions: 3 people
You watched a different game than I did then. Hurd had many more carries and while neither were very impressive, he broke through and punished them more.

It did look like Hurd was in there more but go back and look at the stats. They had the same amount of carries but Lane had more yardage.

Every time Worley keeps the ball on the read option he picks up ten yards. I believe a little more of that will open up the lanes for Lane and Hurd.

You watched a different game than I did then. Hurd had many more carries and while neither were very impressive, he broke through and punished them more.

Apparently I watched a different game than you did to. Lane found some small gaps better than Hurd did. No doubt Hurd will eventually be better but for now for Lane seemed to find the hole a little better. Jmo

Except there are way more differences in their games than experience and potential. Each do certain things better.

I agree.

Lane ran more confident. Hurd tried the flash but couldn't break free. Hurd did have a nice power run for the first down and the great moves on the screen pass touchdown.

Lane will continue to be the steady and reliable back. Hurd will continue to grow. Once it clicks for him, I think we can see a Jamal Lewis type. Big, powerful, fast. It's exciting to think about.

IMO Lane has better vision and patience now, so he's able to wiggle his way into more yardage when the holes were small or not there.

However, Hurd seems to hit the hole harder and faster. He had a few runs where he was hit at the line of scrimmage and fell forward for 2-3 yards.

Overall I think it's a pretty good one-two punch and they compliment each other really well.

Reactions: 1 person
Hard for me to make a judgement until the O-line steps up a little more...I hope Lane has a big year though...I know a lot don't agree, but I think he was under utilized the past couple seasons.

Agreed. The offensive line gets a C- at best (and that for the pass blocking, which was adequate at least). Lane should have gotten the bulk of the carries last year and should have gotten the bulk of the carries yesterday. He moves the sticks. I really like Hurd, but Lane is, right now, still the best runner on the team.

(And, someone said that he should have bounced more runs outside, but, as I recall, Butch chastised Neal for that early last year, which makes me think the coaches frown on that.)

Hard for me to make a judgement until the O-line steps up a little more...I hope Lane has a big year though...I know a lot don't agree, but I think he was under utilized the past couple seasons.

May be a long while before making a judgement then.

If this O line couldn't open a few holes and push Utah State around some, I am not sure how they are gonna fair in the conference schedule.

Also tough to compare a 4th year player to a true freshman.

I think they both went down on first contact to easy though. No one will mistake either of these guys for Yeldon or Henry.

Apparently I watched a different game than you did to. Lane found some small gaps better than Hurd did. No doubt Hurd will eventually be better but for now for Lane seemed to find the hole a little better. Jmo

I didn't think it was even close but giving Hurd some time to adjust to the speed of the game will probably be in order. I know LSU's young guy was kind of similar, tentative and unsure and the game just looked too fast. Too be honest it was some tough running in there for most of the game, but I missed half of the 4th quarter.

It will be interesting to see what kind of runner he develops into, he looks mighty long out there.

How were they stacking the box? I only saw six hats in there for most plays.

The bigger issue is our scheme. We tried to run with five linemen blocking those six with no TE or FB on many plays.
Yeah, they weren't opening any holes for Hurd. That was easy to see. Utah State's D was no pushover. they stalled plenty of our drives. We're just fortunate that the defense came up big like they did. In so doing, they handed the offense the ball back twice as much as Sal Sunseri's defense would have.

I didn't think it was even close but giving Hurd some time to adjust to the speed of the game will probably be in order. I know LSU's young guy was kind of similar, tentative and unsure and the game just looked too fast. Too be honest it was some tough running in there for most of the game, but I missed half of the 4th quarter.

It will be interesting to see what kind of runner he develops into, he looks mighty long out there.

Interesting choice of words.

Interesting choice of words.

That's the only word that came to mind, he is not thin but he's long. My concern is he runs very upright, Alfred Blue had a similar kind of look but Hurd looks like he is an inch or two taller than Blue. Should be fun to see how he progresses and how UT uses him. Blue was a change of pace back until his Junior year then he was the 1st Quarter back until he got hurt.

Everyone relax, Jalen will be fine. I live within a few miles of Beech HS and watched him his HS career. Its his first game in over a year. The holes in college open and close quicker than they do in HS. We saw a few glimpses last night of how he can follow blocks and juke at the second level, but it will take some time to learn how to hit the holes faster like Lane does. We need them both plus one more to survive this tough SEC schedule. And I agree with others, CBJ, please get a fullback or lead blocker.

Everyone relax, Jalen will be fine. I live within a few miles of Beech HS and watched him his HS career. Its his first game in over a year. The holes in college open and close quicker than they do in HS. We saw a few glimpses last night of how he can follow blocks and juke at the second level, but it will take some time to learn how to hit the holes faster like Lane does. We need them both plus one more to survive this tough SEC schedule. And I agree with others, CBJ, please get a fullback or lead blocker.

Where did anyone act like something was wrong with Hurd? Just the statement that right (which should be expected) Lane is better.

Where did anyone act like something was wrong with Hurd? Just the statement that right (which should be expected) Lane is better.[/QUOTe

Relax man don't get your feelings hurt. Several comments on the 1st page like "sluggish running", "better in space", and a few others. My point is he is on a typical freshman learning curve, but he will be fine. Chill dude geeze!

When the longest run by any Tennessee ball-carrier was nine yards, once by Lane and once by Worley, that tells you that the offensive line wasn't opening "holes." They weren't opening lanes, they were barely opening creases in the defensive front. I was surprised at halftime to discover that Hurd had, I believe, 10 carries and Lane had only two, but it evened out in the second half, with both of them finishing with eleven carries. Jalen had 29 yards rushing on the night and Marlin added 41, so there isn't much to differentiate the two, based on this game. As previously noted, however, Jalen added a superb clearing block on one touchdown and "ran to glory" on the screen pass for another six-pointer.

Where did anyone act like something was wrong with Hurd? Just the statement that right (which should be expected) Lane is better.[/QUOTe

Relax man don't get your feelings hurt. Several comments on the 1st page like "sluggish running", "better in space", and a few others. My point is he is on a typical freshman learning curve, but he will be fine. Chill dude geeze!

lol. Nice attempt to throw it off you. I never said anything uptight. You did. Someone pointed out that Hurd has learning to do and you got all up in your britches because posters weren't gleaming barons of praise upon your local kid. No one here is acting like Hurd is not going to thrive or be a dud. Just observations that right now Hurd is behind Lane.

Lane is good for going straight forward getting the yards he can, but Hurd is going to break some huge runs Lane can't if the O-line can get it together.

I don't remember Hurd ever getting a carry outside the tackles. I would think with his speed you would want him to run lots of counters and sweeps and get outside where he can punish smaller dbs. I think loading the box had a lot to do with the run game Last night but it also seemed that the runs called where up the middle and pretty conservative. Jmo.

I think Hurd will show flashes this season. The O Line didnt open up too many holes last night, but USU was stacking the box. Does anyone else not really like our offensive scheme? I personally miss the power I formation and the pro style in general. I want whatever will win though, just a thought!

Reactions: 2 people
Same amount of carries. Twice the yards for Lane.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They seemed to be keying on Hurd, he virtually had nowhere to go all game long. He ran hard and the one time he actually had any room, on the screen pass, to run he made a couple guys miss and scored. I think they'll compliment each other beautifully this year. Lane will get tough inside yards like he always does and Hurd will be a threat to house one anytime he touches it and has any room.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back