Landing Nico is great, but…

We have had several 5 star players over the years, but when was the last time we had a top 5-7 overall player at QB on our team? QB doesn't fix all of our problems, but it certainly goes a long way. Top players want to play with top players.

Reactions: Devo182
Also just let me say that I'm just playing around. Normally I wouldn't say that but, Feels too good to be fighting for real on here right now.

I think many on here are missing it.

My first thought was "Wow!! This is great". Then I thought a little harder...

Football is a team sport. How is a $8M frosh QB going to "mesh" with the rest of his team - many of whom are on scholly only with free tuition/books/food/housing/healthcare? I can just see some offensive lineman from Martin TN saying, "I'm playing b/c I love the game and want to play for TN. This guy came here because he was bought and paid for". There could serious team-chemistry repercussions.
Alabama and other schools seem to do well buying players.

I hope the ones footing the bill for these NIL deals don’t expect any of our players free time for anything silly like appearances or photo shoots. For the money they’re getting, their free time needs to be spent something related to football.

All this time many have worried about how the players will handle all that money, when the real concern should be how will some jackwagon that’s made a donation to the NIL deal react.

I hope they know better than to interfere with the football part of the deal.

I expect JH to keep our guys focused on football.

Jump Higher Vols.

Wow. Nico hasn’t even inked the deal and we already have a negative thread. And you can’t say this thread isn’t. It’s in the title. Anytime you use the word “but” you are eliminating the preceding comment. So your “Landing Nico is great, but” thread title is very negative. Why can’t we just be excited… period? We landed a big time recruit that fits the scheme of our high powered offense. Things are looking up. Just let it be. Geez

Vol fans love to always concentrate on the negativity of all issues................for example.........the main thing the majority of Tenn fans want to remember about Peyton Manning is the fact .........He Never Beat Florida ! And they talk about how great our fan base is ??? Makes me wonder and I am 75 years old. Been a Vol fan since age 12 !

Thats complete nonsense and you know it. Besides, those losses are on Fulmer, not Peyton. What an average coach could have done with all that talent is frightening.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
You think the portal being what it is that players will stick around and compete? Now add NIL. If your son is a 24 qb and TN just signed this guy he should look at UT? Heupel will be under tremendous pressure to start this qb immediately, don’t kid yourself. Not pressure from the agency, from the fans. Any qb starting over him would be under so much scrutiny.
Yeah because a normal starting QB in the SEC is not scrutinized at all.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
Elite QB's make up for a lot of mediocre in other areas. Tennessee probably won't be out recruiting the cheaters south of here any time soon so this guy is a big get. We haven't really competed with those teams in a long time. That needs to change. Get a damn win every now and then would be wonderful..

Are we more excited that we landed a 5 star QB or that we actually pulled the trigger on a big time NIL deal? Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled that we got Nico and I have no doubt he’ll be a difference maker. However, we have had some 5 stars and highly rated players over our 15 year decline that were not able to single handedly change our program. Just wondering if all of the excitement and comments stating that we ‘are back’ is more about Nico or just as much about UT finally stepping up to spend some money and aggressively compete with other schools? Is there some shock that we were finally willing to get in the game and not wait until it’s too late on this one? (Example, never spending money to proactively hire a top 5 coach). Maybe we are just as excited to realize that UT really DOES have deep pockets after all and we are now willing to put it to use.

If your initial reaction to UT getting a 5-Star QB commit is to start a "I'm thrilled but....." thread and immediately going into Negavol b!tch-a$$ whining mode, than I hope you get kidnapped into the Russian Army and sent to the Kyiv front-lines w/out ammo, spoiled food, and a summer weather uniform.

FFS, this is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:
I think many on here are missing it.

My first thought was "Wow!! This is great". Then I thought a little harder...

Football is a team sport. How is a $8M frosh QB going to "mesh" with the rest of his team - many of whom are on scholly only with free tuition/books/food/housing/healthcare? I can just see some offensive lineman from Martin TN saying, "I'm playing b/c I love the game and want to play for TN. This guy came here because he was bought and paid for". There could serious team-chemistry repercussions.
Disagree completely. I would say most teammates who are here bc they love football and playing for Tennessee would be happy to have a very talented QB on their team bc it increases not only the potential wins outlook but the potential to add more great teammates in the future. If the university and the win column will be positively impacted, how does this hurt the player you are talking about?

VN Store

Back