Lamonte Turner out for the season

He wouldn't be considered a liability when he was still playing 35 or so minutes. He's in pain.

Exactly. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome sounds like it’s a beast to deal with. What I read about it says one of the conditions it is similar to is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, which my son has and it’s awful.

When nerve pain is involved, that is another type of pain altogether and very difficult to treat. LaMonté shut it down, I suspect, because he does not want to put his health at further risk. (Though I don’t pretend to know what he’s thinking or feeling like some on here.)

Folks need to read up on the condition. People just amaze me. “Didn’t want to feel like a liability.” His health is more important than basketball.

Thoracic outlet syndrome - Symptoms and causes

Lamonte has been very limited this year. It’s been obvious to everyone. He has got to put himself first for now, for his health, as well as his future. He has been as competitive as anyone we have had in the program, since I’ve been watching Vol basketball and has been willing to step up and take that big shot over and over again. Arguably he was our best player in the NCAA tournament last year despite Grant’s and Admiral’s presence. Wish him a quick recovery and hope he gets a chance to play professional overseas for a long time. Having his leadership on the bench the rest of the year will be welcomed and will force a lot of new guys to develop quicker. Makes our goal of getting to the NCAA tournament a lot harder for sure though, but it isn’t as if there are many good teams in the SEC. The decision on whether Barnes plays Vescovi will be an interesting one.

Reactions: old vol
I'm so proud of this kid and the ones we lost last year. He is a super class act.

His career at Tennessee is over but hopefully he will fully recover and be an NBA stud!

Either way, this kid will excel at whatever challenges he decides to accomplish!

I hurt my shoulder playing sports in late junior high and to this day it still isn't right. Just 2 weeks ago I was doing weights and in one bench press I felt a pop and pain shot down my arm. It hurt for almost a week and even when it's ok when I raise it over my head I can't fully straighten out my arm without feeling slight pain.
I had my shoulder pop out and my elbow ligaments damaged from hyper extension in my twenties. I'm in my 40's now and I know what you mean about that pop, every once in a while I'll get that pop, they hurt longer, but the worst for me is when you get that guitar string being plucked sensation, red hot poker all the way up and down my arm. It doesn't last long but for those few seconds it's some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Exactly. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome sounds like it’s a beast to deal with. What I read about it says one of the conditions it is similar to is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, which my son has and it’s awful.

When nerve pain is involved, that is another type of pain altogether and very difficult to treat. LaMonté shut it down, I suspect, because he does not want to put his health at further risk. (Though I don’t pretend to know what he’s thinking or feeling like some on here.)

Folks need to read up on the condition. People just amaze me. “Didn’t want to feel like a liability.” His health is more important than basketball.

Thoracic outlet syndrome - Symptoms and causes
This is how athletes get addicted to pain meds too, chronic pain like this has to be managed in some way. And if it doesn't get any better and the pain is that great and you take these meds it's only a matter of time until you absolutely have to have them. This is probably the best thing he could do for himself.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Pretty sure you can be granted a 6th year if you played in less than 10 games.

It's actually not more than 30%.
31 games x .3 = 9.3 and they round up, so in a 31 game season a player can play in 10 games and be granted a medical hardship waiver if all other criteria are met.

A 6th year is an entirely different situation that a SA can appeal for to the NCAA. The 5 year clock begins when a student athlete is enrolled. The 6th year has to be an exception that the NCAA would make. Perhaps Uros could try to get one if he plays zero minutes this year. Kent is a strong candidate to appeal for a 6th year (if he even wants one). He played in zero games last year and in 2 games the year before. Zach could argue that the same medical condition caused him to miss the previous 2 seasons.

The NCAA has published rules and inconsistent rulings on appeals. Their decisions might be based on whether the wind was crossing the sewage treatment plant on the day that they decide a case.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Yes you are right 100%. But do you honestly believe we go 8-3 next 11 games with LT. All i was trying to say is that it’s hard to tell just what kind of impact he truly had against a bunch of mid majors that won’t make the tourney versus quality opponents that will or compete to make it. Rick Barnes is a great coach and I have all the faith in him and his system that our team will work though this and this will give someone like Gains and James to shine more. I believe James is a superstar in the marking and he will be needed dearly going forward if this team is gonna make it to March.

Washington: 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 block, 2 steals

VCU: 5 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals

Without Turner Tennessee probably gets stomped vs Memphis & Fla State......in both cases Tennessee had a chance to win.

Turner is a very good defender, he is a very good ball handler, and could certainly distribute the ball well.......Tennessee has no one on their roster who can handled the ball, distribute and play D........half as good as Turner did.

Hopefully James will grow as a point game after game.......but Tennessee’s defense will suffer greatly......Turner, one of the best defenders if not the best, will be missing and most likely a freshman will be moved into the starting line up.......and their D is not ready (or they would be gaining more minutes)....at least not ready for “starting.”

Not sure and it wouldn’t matter anyway

Depends what he is "seeking". The KNS article last month gave no details. We don't know if he is "appealing" for a 6th year or if he is simply "seeking" a routine medical hardship waiver for having played a snap or 2 in the 2018 season. If he arrived at UT a year and a half ago with 3 years to play 2, then he's simply filing the paperwork for a medical waiver covering the 2018 season. If he arrived at UT with 2 years to play 2 then he's seeking an appeal of the 5-year clock rule.

The reason that it matters is because if he delayed his Fall 2014 enrollment until January 2015 because his injury occurred before he got to Bama then his 5-year clock is not an issue. If he enrolled in the Fall of 2014 and was injured after that, he needs to "appeal" for an exception to the 5-year clock rule. Isn't the former a "blue shirt"?

Reactions: Dumbledorange
This is how athletes get addicted to pain meds too, chronic pain like this has to be managed in some way. And if it doesn't get any better and the pain is that great and you take these meds it's only a matter of time until you absolutely have to have them. This is probably the best thing he could do for himself.

#reefers

You are exactly right! This is why pain management has to change. My son saw very quickly that opioids were just mind numbers and he had to take more as time went on, so he quickly stopped using them. Pain management is more than meds - it’s physical therapy, psychology (to help learn to live with chronic pain), watching diet, exercising. Sorry to get on a tangent - just refreshing when someone gets it. So many people are labeled... when many become addicted because they are in pain.

Lamonte is one of my favorite basketball players at UT ever. What he has done is incredibly admirable. He played hurt for two years and gave his all, he shouldn’t have been playing this year and really helped put this team in a position to at least have a solid OOC resume make the tournament. He hit so many big shots, always played hard on defense, and never bitched about being a sixth man. Love that dude.

Washington: 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 block, 2 steals

VCU: 5 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals

Without Turner Tennessee probably gets stomped vs Memphis & Fla State......in both cases Tennessee had a chance to win.

Turner is a very good defender, he is a very good ball handler, and could certainly distribute the ball well.......Tennessee has no one on their roster who can handled the ball, distribute and play D........half as good as Turner did.

Hopefully James will grow as a point game after game.......but Tennessee’s defense will suffer greatly......Turner, one of the best defenders if not the best, will be missing and most likely a freshman will be moved into the starting line up.......and their D is not ready (or they would be gaining more minutes)....at least not ready for “starting.”
I agree and as I stated in another post that Washington and VCU was his best game when you talk about the quality of opponent and what he done and which both teams will make the tourney. But I still think if LT would have taken surgery beginning of year and didn’t play I still think this team is still 8-3 or 7-4 at this point at worse. Even though LT had great games offensively he still had 11 turnovers and shot 8-26 combined in those games. Yes he will be missed on the defense side of the ball more than the offense. But none the less I hate to see any kids season end due to injury.

This is an odd comment by CRB from the ESPN article:

"After he met with the media today, Lamonté and his family sat down with me and he informed me of his decision," coach Rick Barnes said in a statement.

You are exactly right! This is why pain management has to change. My son saw very quickly that opioids were just mind numbers and he had to take more as time went on, so he quickly stopped using them. Pain management is more than meds - it’s physical therapy, psychology (to help learn to live with chronic pain), watching diet, exercising. Sorry to get on a tangent - just refreshing when someone gets it. So many people are labeled... when many become addicted because they are in pain.
I played for a couple of years at a lower level but had a couple of close friends that played power 5 and can tell you that even at the level I played the treatments take their toll, numbing agents and pain killers are often needed just to get you through practice to prepare. I never had to take pain killers long term but witnessed many that did.

I've had a torn rotator cuff for years and at times can't pick up a jug of milk, I can't imagine Turner playing with this problem. Tough young man who gave his all for Tennessee. I really hope the surgery works and he gets the chance to play at another level.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Hate it for Turner and hope he gets well soon. But this isn’t going to have a big impact on the team. In fact we may get better. LT has not lived up to the expectations of a senior that has been in Barnes system for 4 years now. LT has 42 TURNOVERS this year through 11 games and shoots 31% from the field and 22% from 3’s along with 74% from free throws. He has been a liability all season and as the competition gets harder he becomes a ghost. Your PG can’t not have 42 turnovers though 11 games!!! James will step up now and show why he was so highly rated. I honestly think UT will be better off. Rather LT plays it not rest of the way he was t gonna be a difference maker.
Seriously? Have you seen how many assists he is averaging? This basically just took away at least 14 ppg ( was avg. 7 assists ). In addition he was the leader of this team. This is a huge loss and will have a major impact on this season.

VN Store

Back