Lady Vols vs. Missouri Game Thread

She was called for a flagrant foul when she elbowed Rennia. Officials saying that was a basketball play was hogwash. A 6'2" player on the dribble does not hold an elbow cocked at eye level without attempting to use it. It was intentional and should have resulted in not only the flagrant foul,but immediate ejection from the game. Inadvertent elbows happen during games,but this was,in my view,clearly intentional because Rennia was shadowing her on defense. Arm bars are used by dribblers often,always in front of the body,not head high. One official was within 10 to 12 feet away,and missed the elbow to the face. At any rate,one thing accomplished was to take Rennia off her game for several minutes thereafter. As for your assertion that she would be celebrated were she a Lady Vol,she would not be allowed to play dirty(and that's how she plays). Can anyone tell me a time when the entire SEC called any Lady Vol a dirty player? My perspective is that in years past there would have been someone,either player or official,to put a stop to these actions by Cunningham. She is too good a talent to resort to dirty play. Until she is reined in,she will continue this type play because she gets by with it.

Excellent post!!!

All these posters are so reactionary. We dropped a game by two points to the dirtiest team in women's college basketball. It isn't just Cunningham either, re-watch that game and tell me Porter wasn't holding Rennia every chance she got. We beat them statistically in every category but shooting percentage. Pretty hard to hit shots when your opponent is draped all over you. Unfortunately we got lit up by a bench player that hadn't so much as dreamed of double figure scoring and who was likely not even on the scouting report.

Anyone see that article on ESPN about the handshake line after the game? Made us sound like poor sports which did not set well with me. Sophie Cunningham is a dirty player. That is a fact, Missouri acts like she's so misunderstood every time something like this happens, but no behavior modification has been made, it's ridiculous. She probably has more intentional/flagrant fouls than any other player I can remember. There is a distinct difference between playing hard and playing dirty. I would be willing to let it slide as good tough basketball if this wasn't the 5th or 6th time she's been in the spotlight for this. It isn't an accident anymore and I hope we kick their a** next time we play.

Well, many of these same posters are in this same mode when the LVs WIN! Dropping a conference game at home is a hit but had Rennia hit the buzzer beater, had Meme not been freakin' 0-9. had the LVs hit a few more FT among a million other scenarios the outcome would have been different. Of course, all that did not happen and a loss is a loss but this massive--why would any recruit ever come here! and the all the rest is beyond the pale. Mizzou is a "chippy, chippy" team and they are always dangerous when they are hitting from outside. The LVs will bounce back against KY, the board will temporarily calm down, except for few diehards who want to proclaim, well, we will never beat ND or Uconn--playing like that.

Well, many of these same posters are in this same mode when the LVs WIN! Dropping a conference game at home is a hit but had Rennia hit the buzzer beater, had Meme not been freakin' 0-9. had the LVs hit a few more FT among a million other scenarios the outcome would have been different. Of course, all that did not happen and a loss is a loss but this massive--why would any recruit ever come here! and the all the rest is beyond the pale. Mizzou is a "chippy, chippy" team and they are always dangerous when they are hitting from outside. The LVs will bounce back against KY, the board will temporarily calm down, except for few diehards who want to proclaim, well, we will never beat ND or Uconn--playing like that.

Oh I know lol I just try to ignore them, but I do find it frustrating when these posters all come out of the woodwork with a bee in their bonnet anytime we have a rough game. I'm a Lady Vol fan through and through, win or lose. I've accepted the current coaching situation and refuse to argue with people about it because it serves no purpose.

If half the people who turn up to post when we have a bad game were here all the time they might learn a bit about the team.

Hoping we do bounce back against KY, they are much improved this season and aren't so 1 dimensional. We should handle them on the boards and I believe we are the tougher team and match-ups favor us. Their PG is quick, but she is tiny, our guard size will make passing and shooting tough for her all night long.

As for Missouri I'm still not over it. I think the SEC should review it and suspend Cunningham, not sure if that is even possible, but she needs to be held accountable for her actions. This is one time too many for me and her post game behavior was disgusting. Their coach should be ashamed for allowing that kind of play to continue on her team season after season. It has not been just against UT either, several other teams had horrible chippy/technical foul/intentional foul filled games with them a season ago.

Watched Kentucky play against MSST, and they are no joke. They don't have size inside, but neither does Tennessee. The freshman Howard is an excellent 2-way player, and they have dangerous perimeter scorers. Keeping Howard and Maci Morris under control will be key to winning. The other key is to take care of the ball. They turned MSST over 20+ times, and they are a very good ballhandling squad. They pressure the ball, play the passing lanes, and really get in your grill. Depending how the game is called (and it was called very loosely vs. MSST), it could get ugly quickly. Their posts are not big, but they have faceup games and can attack the basket. It will be a much different matchup for Cheridene Green to defend, and she has to do it without getting in foul trouble.

MSST did crush them on the glass. That will be something Tennessee has to do as well. Tennessee should win, but this game could go either way if Morris and Howard are hot.

She was called for a flagrant foul when she elbowed Rennia. Officials saying that was a basketball play was hogwash. A 6'2" player on the dribble does not hold an elbow cocked at eye level without attempting to use it. It was intentional and should have resulted in not only the flagrant foul,but immediate ejection from the game. Inadvertent elbows happen during games,but this was,in my view,clearly intentional because Rennia was shadowing her on defense. Arm bars are used by dribblers often,always in front of the body,not head high. One official was within 10 to 12 feet away,and missed the elbow to the face. At any rate,one thing accomplished was to take Rennia off her game for several minutes thereafter. As for your assertion that she would be celebrated were she a Lady Vol,she would not be allowed to play dirty(and that's how she plays). Can anyone tell me a time when the entire SEC called any Lady Vol a dirty player? My perspective is that in years past there would have been someone,either player or official,to put a stop to these actions by Cunningham. She is too good a talent to resort to dirty play. Until she is reined in,she will continue this type play because she gets by with it.

The officials really blew that call. If it was a flagrant foul, then the Mizzou basket should have been taken off the board (Cunningham only got to the rim by fouling Rennia) and the LVs should have gotten 2 shots and the ball. I agree that she should have been ejected but if the refs lacked the courage for that decision, , they should have at least disallowed the basket, since the foul happened before the shot.

That play was very pivotal.

Explanation from tv crew was that the basket could not be disallowed because there was no whistle when Rennia was elbowed. Also said that foul was a flagrant 1,though it is only called unsportsmanlike foul in women's games. Never heard that before,maybe someone can enlighten us on the different vernacular used in men's and women's games.

Explanation from tv crew was that the basket could not be disallowed because there was no whistle when Rennia was elbowed. Also said that foul was a flagrant 1,though it is only called unsportsmanlike foul in women's games. Never heard that before,maybe someone can enlighten us on the different vernacular used in men's and women's games.
Oh, I missed that explanation (probably because I was screaming at the TV). Thanks.

So, let me restate: The refs should not have missed such a blatant foul and they should have blown the dang whistle. Some fouls are subtle in real time with vision blocked (such as players crowded in the paint), it is understandable that a foul might me missed. But this was in the open court and Rennia was knocked back as if she took a shot from Connor McGregor. Seriously, how could they miss that?

Okay, okay, breathe, breathe, go to happy place: cute puppies running around under a rainbow with a fountain dispensing endless streams of chocolate ice cream. I am all good now (err not really....)

first year for that term that I know of.
copout call!
Refs are scared to call what they see.

Physical play is just part of playing basketball in the SEC as the SEC men's basketball teams play physically every time.

Physical play is just part of playing basketball in the SEC as the SEC men's basketball teams play physically every time.

I get there is contact... this was beyond the normal scenario. I mean if we’re okay with this type of stuff, let’s just let them start punching each other in the face.

Do I need to post the videos of the notorious Mizzou/SC game last year were A’ja Wilson was intentionally elbowed in the mouth as a player was walking by her and Cunningham took both hands and grabbed a player around the neck and yanked her backward snapping her neck?

Mizzou. Is. Trash.

Last edited:
I get there is contact... this was beyond the normal scenario. I mean if we’re okay with this type of stuff, let’s just let them start punching each other in the face.

Do I need to post the videos if the notorious Mizzou/SC game last year were A’ja Wilson was intentionally elbowed in the mouth as a player was walking by her and Cunningham took both hands and grabbed a player around the neck and yanked her backward snapping her neck?

Mizzou. Is. Trash.

You are correct,T. Vol. there is a lot of difference between physical play and dirty play. Missouri's women's team plays dirty and,in my opinion,is taught to play that way. Were that not so,Cunningham would have been reined in long ago.

Reactions: T_Vol376

big difference between physical and what happened....As I tell my players...
"Aggressive is when you want to overpower them, anger is when you try to hurt them.
She tried to hit Ren with the elbow.

Very poor sportsmanship

You are correct,T. Vol. there is a lot of difference between physical play and dirty play. Missouri's women's team plays dirty and,in my opinion,is taught to play that way. Were that not so,Cunningham would have been reined in long ago.

I’ll you what else, Ben...I’m mad the LVs let them come in their house and do that. I know we are a classier program than to play like that, but I think sometimes, with certain teams/players/individuals... you have to send a message. It would almost be worth a technical and ejection to have somebody just lay Cunningham out. I feel that’s exactly what she needs.

My preferred method of responding to a bully has always been to bust them in the mouth. You can always repent later. 😁

I don’t like that type of play, but Cunningham is the type of player who has to be given a dose of her own medicine. She has been raised to play like that. Her coach allows it. The officials have allowed it. How long before she really hurts someone?

The LVs better go to Columbia and evermore whip their asses on 2/17/19. That’s the only way I’m getting over this. 😤

I’ll you what else, Ben...I’m mad the LVs let them come in their house and do that. I know we are a classier program than to play like that, but I think sometimes, with certain teams/players/individuals... you have to send a message. It would almost be worth a technical and ejection to have somebody just lay Cunningham out. I feel that’s exactly what she needs.

My preferred method of responding to a bully has always been to bust them in the mouth. You can always repent later. 😁

I don’t like that type of play, but Cunningham is the type of player who has to be given a dose of her own medicine. She has been raised to play like that. Her coach allows it. The officials have allowed it. How long before she really hurts someone?

The LVs better go to Columbia and evermore whip their asses on 2/17/19. That’s the only way I’m getting over this. 😤

Three times in my 37 years coaching i gave the following instructions.
"Protect yourself.,,, Don't start-something,., but don't "take nothing" either!...They want to play basketball, we're all for that, but if they want to continue to play basketbrawl,

we can win at that too"

The men's game still has five designed spots.
The women's game has gone to 4 forward/guards and a post.

Remember Tom Hanks, early in the movie "A League of Their Own"
It was authentic.

VN Store

Back