Lady Vols vs. Missouri Game Thread

No, what we want is a lady vol team that is a major factor in title contention. Not been the case under holly and she’s had plenty of time. Those loses to Alabama should have been enough for dismissal. But we’re stuck with her rotten coaching staff as the ship continues to sink. You are free to continue your support for her, but don’t blame others for giving up on her.

You are free to state your opinion and those that disagree are free to state their opinion as well. As I read occasionally, that is what a forum is about. If you don’t like someone because they are very different from you, or continually verbally abuse you, there is an ignore button that is highly effective. I put two more on ignore yesterday so I know it works well.😄

By the way, you would be mistaken to believe that I and others like me don’t want to win. We do but are just different in how we express ourselves. Surely you don’t believe everyone is wrong because they express themself differently?

Volfan2012 pointed out some staggering shooting statistics, resulting in a loss. Uconn's "big three", Samuelson, Collier, and Dangerfield missed a combined 38 shots in their loss to Baylor last Thursday. Baylor's defense had something to do with that,however, they did have some open looks. Bad shooting happens. Good, hot shooting happens. The key is to always take good shots in the flow of the offense with the best shot being taken for the easiest attempt.

No need to mention Holly about this game. We outrebounded them, we had less turnovers than they did, we got 14 more shots on goal than they did. We got to the line 8 more times than they did. If you need to blame somebody has to be Westbrook 5 of 19 and Meme 0 of 9 that is 5 for 28 from the field can't win a game with any coach when you players do that. 8 free throws missed that is to many to win a close game.

Nope. Partly yes. It should have been the COACHES part to take their behind out of the game or run some plays to get an easy bucket or two to see the in the basket, and get her going. Coach them, for god sakes. Tell them to move the ball or get the ball into Green, it was a lot of one on one ball and holly did nothing make game adjustments.

You are free to state your opinion and those that disagree are free to state their opinion as well. As I read occasionally, that is what a forum is about. If you don’t like someone because they are very different from you, or continually verbally abuse you, there is an ignore button that is highly effective. I put two more on ignore yesterday so I know it works well.😄

By the way, you would be mistaken to believe that I and others like me don’t want to win. We do but are just different in how we express ourselves. Surely you don’t believe everyone is wrong because they express themself differently?
Not at all. Just want everyone to agree with me:) I just hate that our Lady Vols have fallen so far. Our attendance continues to decline. And I guess I don’t understand people who believe holly isn’t a major part of the problem, but to each their own.

All these posters are so reactionary. We dropped a game by two points to the dirtiest team in women's college basketball. It isn't just Cunningham either, re-watch that game and tell me Porter wasn't holding Rennia every chance she got. We beat them statistically in every category but shooting percentage. Pretty hard to hit shots when your opponent is draped all over you. Unfortunately we got lit up by a bench player that hadn't so much as dreamed of double figure scoring and who was likely not even on the scouting report.

Anyone see that article on ESPN about the handshake line after the game? Made us sound like poor sports which did not set well with me. Sophie Cunningham is a dirty player. That is a fact, Missouri acts like she's so misunderstood every time something like this happens, but no behavior modification has been made, it's ridiculous. She probably has more intentional/flagrant fouls than any other player I can remember. There is a distinct difference between playing hard and playing dirty. I would be willing to let it slide as good tough basketball if this wasn't the 5th or 6th time she's been in the spotlight for this. It isn't an accident anymore and I hope we kick their a** next time we play.

The Lady Vols dropped three spots to #-13 in latest AP Poll.

I think that is a fair ranking, and this season isn't over by a long shot. I think this team has more upside than any team we have had the last 6 years. Sunday was a tough loss, but it wasn't like we just totally stunk it up and got blown out. We have a rematch February 17th and if I were Missouri I wouldn't be looking forward to it. This team hates to lose, I've said that a few times because I truly believe it. A few seasons ago you'd see them in post game after a loss and it was obvious nobody cared, they had accepted it. This team does not accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
I just watched the postgame hand shake and Sophie Cunningham is a trip... I don’t condone violence but I don’t know how people haven’t tried to hurt. Rae didn’t back down and I think if she gets her hands on her it’s a wrap. She prolly thinking I got 5 fouls let me use them next time 😂

Right? Rae would handle her! Even Lou was looking at her sideways.

when you have an entire team of >6' ers, guarding little quick munckin guards can be a hard row to hoe. Should have brought in more than 10 girls and had a couple super quick Defensive players. Why keep team rosters at 10? :(

Reactions: Smallvol#1
when you have an entire team of >6' ers, guarding little quick munckin guards can be a hard row to hoe. Should have brought in more than 10 girls and had a couple super quick Defensive players. Why keep team rosters at 10? :(

Too much drama and too many transfers these days. Lots of coaches trying to keep their rosters tight to avoid all the extra BS and people coming and going from the program. We did miss Annie’s speed last night, that would have been her type of game, unfortunately she made other choices.

They are totally capable of moving their feet and playing some defense. The girls have the athleticism to be a great team defensively but idk why its not being implemented on the court.
*Coaching*

I think that is a fair ranking, and this season isn't over by a long shot. I think this team has more upside than any team we have had the last 6 years. Sunday was a tough loss, but it wasn't like we just totally stunk it up and got blown out. We have a rematch February 17th and if I were Missouri I wouldn't be looking forward to it. This team hates to lose, I've said that a few times because I truly believe it. A few seasons ago you'd see them in post game after a loss and it was obvious nobody cared, they had accepted it. This team does not accept it.
I hope you are right BUT it would not surprise me at all if we get took to the woodshed in moz.

All these posters are so reactionary. We dropped a game by two points to the dirtiest team in women's college basketball. It isn't just Cunningham either, re-watch that game and tell me Porter wasn't holding Rennia every chance she got. We beat them statistically in every category but shooting percentage. Pretty hard to hit shots when your opponent is draped all over you. Unfortunately we got lit up by a bench player that hadn't so much as dreamed of double figure scoring and who was likely not even on the scouting report.

Anyone see that article on ESPN about the handshake line after the game? Made us sound like poor sports which did not set well with me. Sophie Cunningham is a dirty player. That is a fact, Missouri acts like she's so misunderstood every time something like this happens, but no behavior modification has been made, it's ridiculous. She probably has more intentional/flagrant fouls than any other player I can remember. There is a distinct difference between playing hard and playing dirty. I would be willing to let it slide as good tough basketball if this wasn't the 5th or 6th time she's been in the spotlight for this. It isn't an accident anymore and I hope we kick their a** next time we play.

I don't believe that Cunningham has any intentional or flagrant fouls this season. If she played for the Lady Vols she'd be a fan favorite.

I don't believe that Cunningham has any intentional or flagrant fouls this season. If she played for the Lady Vols she'd be a fan favorite.

Talking about over here career. Do you not recall the whole debacle with South Carolina last year and then all the fall out after the Missouri ADs comments? She caused a big uproar with a flagrant foul in their first match up literally shoving a player in the back to the floor. And then things got chippy and out of hand in their second game. There were accusations of racial slurs hurled at Missouri players by SC fans which was never proven.

Missouri refused to accept responsibility and they are clearly still standing behind their player. As evidence by the fact that their coach came all the way across the court to try to speak to Holly while they reviewed the play. Talk about unprofessional, nobody is buying her “Sophs a great kid, she’s just misunderstood,” ******** anymore. She’s a dirty player. Period.

Last edited:
Talking about over here career. Do you not recall the whole debacle with South Carolina last year and then all the fall out after the Missouri ADs comments? She caused a big uproar with a flagrant foul in their first match up literally shoving a playing in the back to the floor. And then things got chippy and out of hand in their second game. There were accusations of racial slurs hurled at Missouri players by SC fans which was never proven.

Missouri refused to accept responsibility and they are clearly still standing behind their player. As evidence by the fact that their coach came all the way across the court to try to speak to Holly while they reviewed the play. Talk about unprofessional, nobody is buying her “Sophs a great kid, she’s just misunderstood,” ******** anymore. She’s a dirty player. Period.

Agree 100%. Cunningham is trash. It’s common knowledge her mother encourages her behavior as well as her coach. Her mother threatened a LV fan in TBA last Sunday. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Last edited:

She was called for a flagrant foul when she elbowed Rennia. Officials saying that was a basketball play was hogwash. A 6'2" player on the dribble does not hold an elbow cocked at eye level without attempting to use it. It was intentional and should have resulted in not only the flagrant foul,but immediate ejection from the game. Inadvertent elbows happen during games,but this was,in my view,clearly intentional because Rennia was shadowing her on defense. Arm bars are used by dribblers often,always in front of the body,not head high. One official was within 10 to 12 feet away,and missed the elbow to the face. At any rate,one thing accomplished was to take Rennia off her game for several minutes thereafter. As for your assertion that she would be celebrated were she a Lady Vol,she would not be allowed to play dirty(and that's how she plays). Can anyone tell me a time when the entire SEC called any Lady Vol a dirty player? My perspective is that in years past there would have been someone,either player or official,to put a stop to these actions by Cunningham. She is too good a talent to resort to dirty play. Until she is reined in,she will continue this type play because she gets by with it.

VN Store

Back