Lady Vols vs. Missouri Game Thread

I have the game DVR’d, and rewatching it Bridgette Gordon was even shoo’ing her away lol with the hand movement. Man I just wish our girls gave a better effort.

That was the first full game I watched this season and LVs are surely not a Top 10 team. Without better effort and shot selection, they will fall like a rock in SEC play. Hopefully this was just an off game but that was one ugly mess.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Playing ball is intense, demanding, and physical but it is also enjoyable for those that play and the ladies and staff didn’t seem to enjoy being there today. I don’t think they are scared of Missouri, they just know their attitude and their style of play and don’t like it. Our team is not nasty or catty or dirty, and they are not going to play that way. Should they have been more assertive and tougher? Yes, but I am glad they do not resort to that type of play. They are still young and hopefully this will be a game that puts a fire in their belly.

In reality, Tennessee had a bad day, period. One loss does not a season make. I hope not, but this may not be the last game that MeMe has an off night/day. Someone else has to step up. The big issue is that we played Missouri's slow down game, we did not dictate the tempo.
Coach Jumper had been preaching about the danger of Mizzou dictating the tempo LONG BEFORE tip off. As far as I know he is not taking a dime of UT’s money. How much is Holly making? These two need to swap places.

Mr. FFF doesn't care about women's team.. Imagine that the mens has the record women has and they're playing like this with the great recruit but can't get it done.

Reactions: T.J.
No need to mention Holly about this game. We outrebounded them, we had less turnovers than they did, we got 14 more shots on goal than they did. We got to the line 8 more times than they did. If you need to blame somebody has to be Westbrook 5 of 19 and Meme 0 of 9 that is 5 for 28 from the field can't win a game with any coach when you players do that. 8 free throws missed that is to many to win a close game.

Coach Jumper had been preaching about the danger of Mizzou dictating the tempo LONG BEFORE tip off. As far as I know he is not taking a dime of UT’s money. How much is Holly making? These two need to swap places.

You're not the first one to come up with this suggestion. And on my part, I can be there tomorrow

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
tough loss, no doubt...at times it was hard to tell if I was watching basketball or UFC...we took a mugging...guess we need to recruit some big-bodied brawn (i.e., Baylor) especially in the paint, and as always...

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: T_Vol376
No need to mention Holly about this game. We outrebounded them, we had less turnovers than they did, we got 14 more shots on goal than they did. We got to the line 8 more times than they did. If you need to blame somebody has to be Westbrook 5 of 19 and Meme 0 of 9 that is 5 for 28 from the field can't win a game with any coach when you players do that. 8 free throws missed that is to many to win a close game.

The one criticism I'd have for Holly on this game was defense. Outside of Sophie, they don't have players who can create. They should have been more prepared for the barrage of threes, and Holly did not have them prepared to take away the outside shot. Aldridge and Troupe would have been limited if they were played tight.

Also agree that poor shooting by Evina and Meme sealed their fate, but they could have won in spite of that if they played better defense.

" THE BEST TEAM DOES NOT ALWAYS WIN " But numbers do not lie either !!!!!
They shot 45% from the field .........We shot 35%
they shot 55% from Three ................We shot 30%
They shot 75% from the free throw ..We shot 66%
Their leader (Sophie) scored 20 points ...... our leader MeMe was 0 for nine shots !!!!!!

E and MeMe shot 19 and 9 times for a total of 28 shots between them........The whole team only took 63 shots and they took 44% of the total shots !!! Between them E made 5 shots of 19 for 26% and MeMe was 0000000 !!! your leaders ???

E was 6 of 10 at the line for 60% ....... If she makes two more we might have won ????

We played a very bad game offensively and still could have won !!! Just Saying......
The good to take away from the game....... Zay is becoming a good starter as a Freshman.... 4 of 9 shooting and learning!
Jaz is developing also and getting more dependable......

Lastly : Our Senior leader was 0 for 9...... Probably won't happen again??? Haley Troup was averaging about 3 points a game and she scored 16 ..... Probably won't happen again ???

Reactions: Volfan2012
The one criticism I'd have for Holly on this game was defense. Outside of Sophie, they don't have players who can create. They should have been more prepared for the barrage of threes, and Holly did not have them prepared to take away the outside shot. Aldridge and Troupe would have been limited if they were played tight.

Also agree that poor shooting by Evina and Meme sealed their fate, but they could have won in spite of that if they played better defense.
It wasn't our best effort of the season on defense wasn't our worst either. We held them to 66 points and only 16 free throw attempts and 45 percent from the field. We turned them over 19 times and ending up with a shot advantage of 63 to 49. We did this while getting to the line 24 times ourselves. Missouri defense was worse than ours the fact that we continue to miss short jumpers, layup. free throws, and still want to shoot a lot of off balance bad shots is on the team and certainly Holly. She needs to get this team to understand a good shot from a bad one and the players who we want to take most of the shots. I agree that Evina and MeMe are two of those players, but their failure yesterday cost us the game. I am of the opinion that we have no coach at Tennessee that can teach players defense this has been going on for several seasons and were still not effective at defending the dribble drive and we miss way to many important defensive assignments. Massengill who has been a decent defender all season missed two very important defensive assignments that resulted in wide open threes and both were made. I'm thinking our defense is never gonna be great and what we got yesterday is probably as close as were gonna get to a decent effort. The goal is the offense has to score the easy baskets or we lose that is where we stand as a team. How MeMe and Westbrook go so goes the team as Davis is very consistent in her scoring always around 50 percent of the shots she takes.

Reactions: Benionsopinion

I agree with better defense and to me Holly needs to stop relying just on Evina and Meme because that`s what it seems like.

" THE BEST TEAM DOES NOT ALWAYS WIN " But numbers do not lie either !!!!!
They shot 45% from the field .........We shot 35%
they shot 55% from Three ................We shot 30%
They shot 75% from the free throw ..We shot 66%
Their leader (Sophie) scored 20 points ...... our leader MeMe was 0 for nine shots !!!!!!

E and MeMe shot 19 and 9 times for a total of 28 shots between them........The whole team only took 63 shots and they took 44% of the total shots !!! Between them E made 5 shots of 19 for 26% and MeMe was 0000000 !!! your leaders ???

E was 6 of 10 at the line for 60% ....... If she makes two more we might have won ????

We played a very bad game offensively and still could have won !!! Just Saying......
The good to take away from the game....... Zay is becoming a good starter as a Freshman.... 4 of 9 shooting and learning!
Jaz is developing also and getting more dependable......

Lastly : Our Senior leader was 0 for 9...... Probably won't happen again??? Haley Troup was averaging about 3 points a game and she scored 16 ..... Probably won't happen again ???

Good post and you are 100% correct about Zay, This is why we need to get more bench players in to the rotation. You can`t just wait until someone pick 2-3 fouls then sub.

I feel I’ve seen enough now to know the answers to all the questions I had before the season began.

I wish those answers made me confident about the future of Lady Vol basketball, but they don’t.

Good post and you are 100% correct about Zay, This is why we need to get more bench players in to the rotation. You can`t just wait until someone pick 2-3 fouls then sub.
Zaay is improving and is obviously skilled, but she is a major liability on defense. Watch how often her being out of position throws our whole defense out of kilter. I'd really like Rae to get about half of Zaay's minutes. She's a scrapper. (Or, as we say around my house, she does stuff.)

Zaay is improving and is obviously skilled, but she is a major liability on defense. Watch how often her being out of position throws our whole defense out of kilter. I'd really like Rae to get about half of Zaay's minutes. She's a scrapper. (Or, as we say around my house, she does stuff.)

I also notice when Holly sent Collins into the game she was caught trying to guard a smaller wing player and was beaten badly a few times.

It wasn't our best effort of the season on defense wasn't our worst either. We held them to 66 points and only 16 free throw attempts and 45 percent from the field. We turned them over 19 times and ending up with a shot advantage of 63 to 49. We did this while getting to the line 24 times ourselves.

Missouri averages 66 ppg, 17 FTA, 43% FG and 33% 3FG, 15.7 TO and 14.1 APG on the season. They were at or above their average the whole game, except the turnovers. And that's playing their fair share of cupcakes. It seems that Mizzou was able to get the shots they wanted in this game.

Missouri averages 66 ppg, 17 FTA, 43% FG and 33% 3FG, 15.7 TO and 14.1 APG on the season. They were at or above their average the whole game, except the turnovers. And that's playing their fair share of cupcakes. It seems that Mizzou was able to get the shots they wanted in this game.
Yes they did but so did we and we got more shots than they did 63 to 49. We shot 35 percent and shooting is why we lost this game. We certainly need to be a better defensive team, but we have to be able to perform on offense near our shooting average. This game 40 percent would've done it. Making three more free throws a lot of ways we could've won. If we shoot 45 percent we win by 14 points. We played a lot worse defense at Texas and won by six. Always a reason you lose JMO offense was the reason in this game had the shots didn't have to do much to make it happen. We did nothing. I can't give their defense any credit because we were getting great looks Evina even said so in the press conference didn't perform on offense in this game we move on.

That was the first full game I watched this season and LVs are surely not a Top 10 team. Without better effort and shot selection, they will fall like a rock in SEC play. Hopefully this was just an off game but that was one ugly mess.
A couple of classes where we didn't get any premier players is hurting us some now. We have no real real effective post players and freshmen and even sophomores tend to be erratic in their play meaning that they are not consistent game after game. No reason to lose to Missouri except a couple of players played far below their level of ability. It happens and probably will again.

A couple of classes where we didn't get any premier players is hurting us some now. We have no real real effective post players and freshmen and even sophomores tend to be erratic in their play meaning that they are not consistent game after game. No reason to lose to Missouri except a couple of players played far below their level of ability. It happens and probably will again.

You bring up a good point we have no one in the post to block or can intimidate opponents to alter there shot. We just don`t have that kind of player,

Reactions: travis929
Lets just replay the events...I made a prediction that was no where near right. I apologized and was subsequently chastised for being a Holly supporter. I replied in what I considered a measured response then was jumped by another Nega queen. I again defended myself then was again attacked and called a fool and told to shut up. All this because I support Holly and don't take crap from Nega children. You people need to grow up. You are jumping on me because you didn't get what you wanted. That's childish.
No, what we want is a lady vol team that is a major factor in title contention. Not been the case under holly and she’s had plenty of time. Those loses to Alabama should have been enough for dismissal. But we’re stuck with her rotten coaching staff as the ship continues to sink. You are free to continue your support for her, but don’t blame others for giving up on her.

Reactions: ksl415 and olddog

VN Store

Back