Rickster

VFL
GAMEDAY TIMES & BROADCAST INFO

TENNESSEE

Roster Schedule Game Notes (PDF) Media Guide

KENTUCKY

Roster Schedule Game Notes

THE LAST TIME WE MET
  • No. 7/7 Tennessee improved to 13-0 overall and 1-0 in the SEC on Dec. 31, 2017, defeating UK (8-7, 0-1 SEC) 63-49 in front of a crowd of 8,921 at Rupp Arena.
  • The victory was UT's first in the venue in three tries.
  • The Lady Vols were led in scoring by freshman Evina Westbrook, who tied her career high with 17 points. Maci Morris led Kentucky with 18.
LAST TIME UT AND UK PLAYED IN KNOXVILLE
  • Redshirt junior Diamond DeShields made a huge return to the hardwood in Tennessee's 72-65 home win over No. 17/23 Kentucky on Jan. 1, 2017.
  • After missing the last previous two games, DeShields scored 21 points on 50 percent (8-of-16) shooting. Fellow redshirt junior Mercedes Russell scored 22 points and grabbed nine boards.
  • Taylor Murray finished with 23 points for the Cats.

GAMEDAY TIMES & BROADCAST INFO

TENNESSEE

Roster Schedule Game Notes (PDF) Media Guide

KENTUCKY

Roster Schedule Game Notes

THE LAST TIME WE MET
  • No. 7/7 Tennessee improved to 13-0 overall and 1-0 in the SEC on Dec. 31, 2017, defeating UK (8-7, 0-1 SEC) 63-49 in front of a crowd of 8,921 at Rupp Arena.
  • The victory was UT's first in the venue in three tries.
  • The Lady Vols were led in scoring by freshman Evina Westbrook, who tied her career high with 17 points. Maci Morris led Kentucky with 18.
LAST TIME UT AND UK PLAYED IN KNOXVILLE
  • Redshirt junior Diamond DeShields made a huge return to the hardwood in Tennessee's 72-65 home win over No. 17/23 Kentucky on Jan. 1, 2017.
  • After missing the last previous two games, DeShields scored 21 points on 50 percent (8-of-16) shooting. Fellow redshirt junior Mercedes Russell scored 22 points and grabbed nine boards.
  • Taylor Murray finished with 23 points for the Cats.
Thanks for the broadcast information. Hopefully we defend the three much better and Jackson gets her game back. If Jackson is having issues, I would like to see Davis takeover the game. I believe she has that capability. If C. Green continues to be a beast on the board we can win this one. I find it hard to believe that we are a one trick pony, whereas if Jackson has a bad game we are sunk. Z. Green is a very good shooter, as is Westbrook. We have to realize that if Jackson has a bad game, someone else has to pickup the slack. It is a reality that if Jackson continues to shoot as she did prior to the Missouri game, every team is going to try and stop her. We must construct an offense that takes that into consideration. I would like to see us set more picks.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Gonna take each player being offensively efficient and making the easy shots. I think shooting under 45 percent in this one is probably a loss. I don't know who is gonna guard Howard she is a load that can shoot the perimeter shot or take you inside. We want win with 5 for 28 out of two starters or 35 percent shooting. I hate to keep bringing up the last game, but it was nothing Missouri did that cost us the game the loss was self inflicted. These girls got to get back to playing with intensity and focus and shot selection that gives us a chance.

Last edited:
Do not hope high on lady vols vs Kentucky because vols will loose again.

Do not hope high on lady vols vs Kentucky because vols will loose again.
Toss up for all of remainder of games except ND and MS. Now if the defense gets better and more consistent shooting, things could change for the better.

Should be another tough game today. I believe Tennessee will control the glass, UK has had trouble rebounding the ball all season, but that is really their only Achilles heel. They turn teams over at a high rate with their pressure D and are a much deeper team than they have been in several seasons.

Will need to stay attached to Morris and Howard at all times, would not be surprised if we see a little junk defense today like Box and 1 or triangle and 2 (or at least I would like to see it, just to shake things up). Also need to keep an eye out for Blair Green off the bench, she was an outstanding scorer in HS and can get hot in a hurry, just like Morris.

It looked like Murray had really elevated her game, but the first two conference games she looked about like she did last season, tough defender, but not much help on the offensive end. She still isn't a solid threat from 3, best to give her a bit of space and force her to deal with our size off the bounce.

Key to the game for us will be winning the TO battle and getting high percentage looks. Need to control the tempo from the start and have to protect the ball and force them to foul, can't be lax with the basketball today or it will be a layup for Murray. I believe we are the more athletic team and should use it to our advantage.

Reactions: Rickster
This may also be the only game all season where we actually have the advantage in the post. I believe C. Green can score on either of their starting posts and has a definite size/strength advantage if we can get her the ball. She should be able to make a living on the o-boards today if she chooses to.

She'll be tested on defense today as the Kentucky posts prefer to face-up. Neither of them shoot the ball very effectively though.

KK will have a definite size advantage and ought to be able to make an impact today. If she'll keep the ball high, go straight up with it and finish they'll almost certainly be forced to foul her. Gotta get her FT shooting sorted out though, right now if I were the opposing team I would employ the Hack-a-Shaq anytime she shoots and make sure she doesn't finish. Would be really nice to get her going a little, to make any kind of tourney run we are going to need our inside players to step up in a big way.

Reactions: Rickster
Should be another tough game today. I believe Tennessee will control the glass, UK has had trouble rebounding the ball all season, but that is really their only Achilles heel. They turn teams over at a high rate with their pressure D and are a much deeper team than they have been in several seasons.

Will need to stay attached to Morris and Howard at all times, would not be surprised if we see a little junk defense today like Box and 1 or triangle and 2 (or at least I would like to see it, just to shake things up). Also need to keep an eye out for Blair Green off the bench, she was an outstanding scorer in HS and can get hot in a hurry, just like Morris.

It looked like Murray had really elevated her game, but the first two conference games she looked about like she did last season, tough defender, but not much help on the offensive end. She still isn't a solid threat from 3, best to give her a bit of space and force her to deal with our size off the bounce.

Key to the game for us will be winning the TO battle and getting high percentage looks. Need to control the tempo from the start and have to protect the ball and force them to foul, can't be lax with the basketball today or it will be a layup for Murray. I believe we are the more athletic team and should use it to our advantage.

Don`t sleep on 6-2 Tatyana Wyatt she can cause problems for post players.

Don`t sleep on 6-2 Tatyana Wyatt she can cause problems for post players.
I've watch about 10 of UKs games, I'm not that impressed with her. She is very mobile for post player, but she is an inefficient shooter, a very poor FT shooter, fouls a lot and does not play well against teams with a decent post player.

The best posts they have faced were in the Louisville, Vandy and MSST games. She wasn't much of a factor in any of those contests, fouled out of 2 of those games and had 4 personal fouls in the other.

I think we have to shoot at least 45 percent from the field at least as we won the turnover battle against Missouri and still lost the game. 35 percent shooting will be another loss unless we can hold them to the same and win the free throw and three point scoring. I don't see us holding them to that percentage. We have to shoot the ball the only reason we lost the Missouri game.

Gonna be a long night if this is how we’re going to choose to play. What’s the deal with Meme? Why would she not just reach down and pick that basketball up? Or at least get on the floor and tie it up.

So my wish list item of coming out of the gate focused, sharp and ready will not get checked off again tonight. Horrible start, got worse after the timeout. So painful, by now so predictable. Maybe this will be the night we learn to pull out of the muck instead of miring in it . . .

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood

VN Store

Back