Lady Vols vs. Georgia Game Thread

The problem I have with this team and Holly is, why do she keep rewarding these players for playing with no sense of urgency. I've watched Rennia watch rebounds hit the floor and not make an effort to get the ball. It's like she goes in a shell if she's not getting shots. Rae is out there hustling on both ends of the floor, she should be rewarded with playing time. Evina, same mistakes, same kind of turnovers every game. she's been taking the ball to the basket, which is good, but to throw a long pass out of bounds every game, come on! These young Ladies have been told for years how great they are, and it shows. Sit them down until they hustle for every rebound, make good passes every time, but I don't see it happening, because coach is not gonna get on us! Sorry for the rant! Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: djtee
I used to be part of the forum way back when . I am a huge Lady Vol fan and even a bigger Pat fan. I was very active and then just observed since Holly's 3rd season. It's very frustrating. I've been a fan since the early 90s. I just don't think Holly is meant to be a HC. Not everyone can do the job I'm not attacking her but like any profession you're held to standards and if you aren't getting the job done you risk losing your job or being demoted. For me it's not a Holly issue cause you could replace Holly with any other name and if I saw the same results I'd want another coach. I say it that way cause people on this forum believe we attack her personally like it's because she is holly... She's had more than enough time and great players and recruiting success to succeed. She has underachieved. Coaches are doing better than TN with less talented players , facilities and administration help. Someone tried to compare Kelly Graves reaching 3 elite 8s same as holly as being equal. Ummm he has nowhere near the same budget or talent as far as player and FYI Kelly is a a man ...This is where I am maybe taking a shot at her - This will be harsh but I am slightly surprised she hasn't looked in the mirror and asked herself this question " my best friend mentor etc created something special am I doing justice to her name and what she built?" ...

I watched the GA game and saw things at the end of the game that I have seen for years. Lady Vols behind - 10 sec left. We all saw Davis dribble then shoot. Say what you want about letting the players figure it out - She is still a kid learning and she is a smart talented player but any coach still reminds the player that's coaching . I have never seen a coach who rarely reminds her players as they go back on the court what the shot clock situation is. Especially in that case - Even the announcers clarified that the shot cock didn't reset. They mentioned it for a reason!!! Why didn't the coaching staff??? Believe me I've seen this happen OFTEN no A lot!! So often whether it's the mens or women's game even if the players are reminded in the huddle coaches will still scream or point as they stand in position. My second issue is the last play. I saw Holy draw something up - then Dean comes over sand she changes something (not a big deal. BUT!!!! when the players go out it appears in this game and many others they aren't coached as far as time and how to get the best shot off. It always appear the only have ONE play and ONE shot! I can't say for sure but I get the feeling Jackson was meant to take a corner 3. Problem is she had like 6 seconds left and a player in her face - she had time to make one more pass....I am only guessing but again I've seen this happen over an over - I don't think the players are coached what to do" IF" .... there is no alternative to the situation. Again obviously I am not part of the huddle but after watching her coach for years happens over and over every year...

As far as coaching goes I'd compare her to Mike Tomlin. You have some of the best players in their position but year after year he underachieves . He's a poor coach as far as clock management and time outs he underachieves with the talent he has and frankly is stubborn and prevents him from becoming a better coach (I think the guy is a good coach but those items keep him from succeeding ...imo)

Reactions: Prophet1 and LVol

VN Store

Back