Lady Vols vs. Belmont Game Thread

200.gif
Well, we are waiting! 😂

Well, we are waiting! 😂

That was you crying for attention. How about contributing rather than continuously complaining about the coaches. It does no good and makes you look like a whiner. How about you sharing constructive criticism that gives everyone something to ponder. Share your knowledge, not your frustration. I don’t speak for others but when you go on a rant, I stop paying attention.

So I know it may not be in CHW personality or her way of coaching but I really wish she would discipline, talk to her players, or maybe even eat them out for making bone head PlayS. Take them out immediately, have a word with them or just put em on the bench.
CHW is and never will be CPS but Pat demanded respect, hard play, discipline, on the court! And her players for the most part delivered that. Players keep making the same mistakes because there is no accountability from the top.
I love this team and it just frustrates me because I know we so much potential to be a top 5 team in the country with our players we have.

These ladies are young, they can have something very special if they commit to defense and rebounding this year, it's wide open.

A team of full of Freshman and Sophomores leading the way, to go 11-1 not bad, just looking for the Lady Vols to assert themselves defensively (play smarter) and get on the boards. Hopefully, SEC toughen them up.

Rennia, only 30 free throws for the year. I do like seeing you getting the the rim, you should attack every time you have a mismatch, you can't gaurd me mentality.

You are a leader, you have to defend, that's why we so hard on ya, others follow your lead, then you have to rebound relentlessly, dive to the floor, and make shots and create shots for others.

Nice win ladies. I'm kinda impressed. Go Lady Vols. Defense, rebounding and Good guard play win Championships. Our guards are playing better offensively, but their defense is.... Great gaurd play includes defense, rebounding, steals and offense.

Meme, senior, nice job leading this young team, they don't quit. Now, the SEC, the most physical team, the team that set the tone usually wins.

Holly 11-1 with a team led by a sophomore, not a bad job coaching at all. We are getting better, and we haven't peaked, which hopefully it means we peak like Pat's teams late in the year.

The potential of this team, mane when they decide to defend and rebound, the Lady Vols will be tough to beat, cos now we are scoring. Funny how, in previous years it was our offense that fans said sucks, now it's our defense. Lol

Last edited:
And only 10 turnovers, a lot positives to take away from the nonconference schedule and all the things that need to be fixed and they are glaring are mental, all the signs of a young team.

Ladies if you defend and rebound the growing pains will be minimal. Restoring order. Go Lady Vols.

Jazmine has really upped her game. She has a smooth and easy flow to her game, she made some nice shots the past two games.
I still would go with Zaay for her relentless Defense. Her shot selection could be better.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
That was you crying for attention. How about contributing rather than continuously complaining about the coaches. It does no good and makes you look like a whiner. How about you sharing constructive criticism that gives everyone something to ponder. Share your knowledge, not your frustration. I don’t speak for others but when you go on a rant, I stop paying attention.
My response was to another poster, not you! I responded to the comment made specifically to me. You stuck your nose in like you are the "Holly Police". Not crying, just simple fact, Holly has not lived up to the majority of the fans expectations and I see not reason she ever will. This is a forum where you can express your opinion. You do not make the rules. You certainly are not going to prevent me for expressing mine. Get over yourself! Ignore works well!

By the way, I think Pruitt is doing a good job so far! lol

Reactions: vettefool
My response was to another poster, not you! I responded to the comment made specifically to me. You stuck your nose in like you are the "Holly Police". Not crying, just simple fact, Holly has not lived up to the majority of the fans expectations and I see not reason she ever will. This is a forum where you can express your opinion. You do not make the rules. You certainly are not going to prevent me for expressing mine. Get over yourself! Ignore works well!

By the way, I think Pruitt is doing a good job so far! lol

And I expressed my opinion that your sole contributions to this forum is to complain (whine) about the coaching. I'm allowed to have an opinion as well and there it is. Deal with it or ignore me.

Here is what we know about Tennessee after 12 games. They have the ability to take away the basket or the three they can't do both. If we went zone against Belmont they nail us with the three they have two girls that shoot over 40 and another 36. We decided to play man and take away the three but we can't guard the dribble drive in the man so we gave up uncontested layups. In the end it was the right choice as a three counts more than a two and even Belmont missed a few inside today. The defense that should've been played but doubt it is in our system or thought is a man zone. You take you best three on the ball defenders and guard their best three point shooters man to man. You put two other players in a lane zone close to the basket. If they want to get an open three one of their weaker three point shooters is going to have to make them. If they dribble drive past your man defender then you have players on each side of the lane inside in a zone to defend the basket.
We also saw a classic example of how the speed up game can help you score but also help your opponent when your not making shots. In the first half when we were making shots it got us a 16 point lead. When you are missing shots it gives your opponent all the extra possessions they need to get back in the game. That is why when playing with a big lead I think you should go to a more deliberate game and work for shots and run more clock. We did this some in the fourth after they caught up in the third.
My thoughts on Belmont is that they are a very well coached team. Their coach should have a big time job. He has these girls really playing intelligent you can't press them and they make the right passes. They move the ball and play defense as well as UConn but don't have the talent. Massey had them rated the number 65 best team going into the game. I think if they were in the SEC they could handle Florida, Ole Miss, Vandy, on the road and win at least some their home games. I would say they could win six SEC games if they played in the league this season. They are ranked higher by Massey than Ole Miss, Vandy, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama,

Massey Ratings - CBW
Excellent analysis, especially the comments on the man-zone defense scheme. Seriously, I wish this post could be given to Holly and her staff.

The Belmont coach is a very good coach. He reminds me of Geno (in his coaching, not his personality).

Last edited:
Excellent analysis, especially the comments on the man-zone defense scheme. Seriously, I wish this post could be given to Holly and her staff.

The Belmont coach is a very good coach. He reminds me of Geno (in his coaching, not his personality).

Their passing was very good and that reminded me of Ct. I wish we would concentrate more on good ole reliable passing to open players instead of trying to make a highlight reel. Passing and three point shooting has been a glaring weakness the past few years. Shooting is better this year and so is passing to a certain extent. Still need improvement there though. Maybe watching film of the game will show them a thing or two about movement and simple passing.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Agreed! Someone to send that shot back out of there. Hopefully key can anchor down and defend the rim but also team USA and Afrocentric use Jordan Horston in the back side of zones to defend the rim because of her shot blocking prowess. I still think a grad transfer to help anchor the post would help next year.

Not sure if there are any good grad transfer out there ?

Or just someone to help the freshman and relieve KK she actually has decent foot work near the basket and is a better shot blocker with her anticipation than I expected

You are correct KK actually has decent foot work near the basket, I think next year she will be in much better shape and by going up against Key and Saunders in practice will really help KK

Reactions: mlindsay
Question about timeouts - what would happen if one of our assistant coaches called time out to help stop a run? Do it and find out.
If I was a head coach and an assistant called a timeout, without talking to me I would be real pissed. I expect Holly would feel the same and in the reality I would not blame her. Holly seems to be very hesitant to call timeouts when the wheels are falling off, or at least starting to fall off. I don't think you need to be in a rage when things go South, however, you need to make every effort to put a tourniquet on the wound to stop the bleeding. One of the best ways to break an opponent's momentum, is to call a timeout and give your team some insight into what they are doing wrong.

Reactions: anitareynolds
I disagree. Fundamentals like boxing out are taught in practice by the coaching staff. If the coaches are teaching the fundamentals and the team is ignoring them, that too is a coaching problem. I'm pretty sure that a player that ignored fundamentals would have had Coach Summitt's undivided attention. I'm not sure that is the case with CHW.
If a player at this level doesn’t understand how to box out to get the rebound. Then maybe you are right.

I disagree. Fundamentals like boxing out are taught in practice by the coaching staff. If the coaches are teaching the fundamentals and the team is ignoring them, that too is a coaching problem. I'm pretty sure that a player that ignored fundamentals would have had Coach Summitt's undivided attention. I'm not sure that is the case with CHW.

Brassie YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bang on.... wish others thought like you coaching staff has 100% control of what goes on in the program

If a player at this level doesn’t understand how to box out to get the rebound. Then maybe you are right.

Players are built in the offseason, teams during the season...Been that way forever.
CHW has denied players the off-season coach they want.
Even went so far as to deny off-campus workouts,

If this is the case, they should be provided a better alternative.
Ex-players working out with the current players is a great thing, but letting them coach and instruct new recruits (as summer-coaches) isn't working.
And won't.
Unless the former players ARE coaches.
Coaches concentrate on their task, not how fun or great the new recruits might be.
They need someone they can't impress to teach them.

They need a fundamental skills coach to learn.
Scrimmage and reps are great, but in performing those things fundamentals aren't corrected, they get worse or get lost.

If
Players are built in the offseason, teams during the season...Been that way forever.
CHW has denied players the off-season coach they want.
Even went so far as to deny off-campus workouts,

If this is the case, they should be provided a better alternative.
Ex-players working out with the current players is a great thing, but letting them coach and instruct new recruits (as summer-coaches) isn't working.
And won't.
Unless the former players ARE coaches.
Coaches concentrate on their task, not how fun or great the new recruits might be.
They need someone they can't impress to teach them.

They need a fundamental skills coach to learn.
Scrimmage and reps are great, but in performing those things fundamentals aren't corrected, they get worse or get lost.
Wouldn't it be great if such a coach existed ?
And wouldn't it be great if he/she was a LV fan ?
And wouldn't it be great if he/she was available at a moment's notice and could help the team immediately ?
Hmmmm. I wonder where we could find such a jewel ?

If

Wouldn't it be great if such a coach existed ?
And wouldn't it be great if he/she was a LV fan ?
And wouldn't it be great if he/she was available at a moment's notice and could help the team immediately ?
Hmmmm. I wonder where we could find such a jewel ?

they might try looking in their backyard

VN Store

Back