Lady Vols vs. Belmont Game Thread

I have tried to get the lady vols on radio in middle Tenn. for years and could not. Today I got it. It was in the 3rd quarter and I was, as I have been for a good while very disappointed. After the game I listened to coach Holly and what she had to say. I was disappointed again. She said she asked the players if they wanted to play zone, and they said no. Do you think Pat ever asked the players what they wanted to play? If you want to see how far this program has fallen, let them just play Conn. I have heard Holly wants to renew the game with them. I sure hope they do, so we can get a new coach.

I remember a long time ago I was driving & listening to a TN Vols football game on I-40 going East towards Nashville. Never had a problem keeping up w/the game on the car radio.
It being a long time ago I don't remember where I was but close into Nashville area and the car radio of the game went silent & I couldn't find another station anywhere to hear the game which was very frustrating to say the least. Come to find out later I heard they (Nashville) didn't like radio stations to broadcast any TN games....thought that was really stupid of them to allow such a thing to happen.

............and come out winners too. GBO. :D
😂Wait till little Miss Holly coaches against a team ranked in the top 20! She is an embarrassment to the UT Lady Vol program and should be fired! We won't even come close to sniffing an SEC Championship let alone a NC! How many more years of this mediocrity must we put up with!!

Reactions: olddog
I have tried to get the lady vols on radio in middle Tenn. for years and could not. Today I got it. It was in the 3rd quarter and I was, as I have been for a good while very disappointed. After the game I listened to coach Holly and what she had to say. I was disappointed again. She said she asked the players if they wanted to play zone, and they said no. Do you think Pat ever asked the players what they wanted to play? If you want to see how far this program has fallen, let them just play Conn. I have heard Holly wants to renew the game with them. I sure hope they do, so we can get a new coach.
The UT-UConn series has been renewed starting next year. But the outcome of this series will not result in a new coach even if the Lady Vols suffer crushing defeats. The only way Holly would be fired would be for the Lady Vols to have back to back to back losing seasons. This is highly unlikely to happen as long as she is able to recruit talented players.

😂Wait till little Miss Holly coaches against a team ranked in the top 20! She is an embarrassment to the UT Lady Vol program and should be fired! We won't even come close to sniffing an SEC Championship let alone a NC! How many more years of this mediocrity must we put up with!!

She got us a win against Texas this year (2018) which was ranked 10th at the time she won that one.

Agreed I also would have called a time out and ripped Meme a new one at half court for jacking up those stupid threes. She was pressing to hard and why CHW left her in I don’t know because she wasn’t nice stopping the Belmont guard from penetrating. Out of all the players she has too much rope. Shooters gotta shoot but seniors gotta know when your shots not falling drive it in and dish not throw up a three or drive it into three defenders and lose the ball. A time out would have been the perfect time to get on her.

And that’s not a shot at Meme it’s just I expect more from her as a senior. I thought Rennia played a good game but got frustrated and disappeared and she can’t do that. That’s where ON COURT leadership have to get around her and let her know it’s ok.

Hold on ! You have every right to take shots at Meme, Holly has set the bar so low for her that she can do no wrong. I watched a little of the Iowa Michigan St at a time the Iowa coach was ripping one of her players face to face. Also to note other team guards are running right pass Westbrook. to add we only had 10 TO`s and Westbrook had 5.

Here is what we know about Tennessee after 12 games. They have the ability to take away the basket or the three they can't do both. If we went zone against Belmont they nail us with the three they have two girls that shoot over 40 and another 36. We decided to play man and take away the three but we can't guard the dribble drive in the man so we gave up uncontested layups. In the end it was the right choice as a three counts more than a two and even Belmont missed a few inside today. The defense that should've been played but doubt it is in our system or thought is a man zone. You take you best three on the ball defenders and guard their best three point shooters man to man. You put two other players in a lane zone close to the basket. If they want to get an open three one of their weaker three point shooters is going to have to make them. If they dribble drive past your man defender then you have players on each side of the lane inside in a zone to defend the basket.
We also saw a classic example of how the speed up game can help you score but also help your opponent when your not making shots. In the first half when we were making shots it got us a 16 point lead. When you are missing shots it gives your opponent all the extra possessions they need to get back in the game. That is why when playing with a big lead I think you should go to a more deliberate game and work for shots and run more clock. We did this some in the fourth after they caught up in the third.
My thoughts on Belmont is that they are a very well coached team. Their coach should have a big time job. He has these girls really playing intelligent you can't press them and they make the right passes. They move the ball and play defense as well as UConn but don't have the talent. Massey had them rated the number 65 best team going into the game. I think if they were in the SEC they could handle Florida, Ole Miss, Vandy, on the road and win at least some their home games. I would say they could win six SEC games if they played in the league this season. They are ranked higher by Massey than Ole Miss, Vandy, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama,

Massey Ratings - CBW

Here is what we know about Tennessee after 12 games. They have the ability to take away the basket or the three they can't do both. If we went zone against Belmont they nail us with the three they have two girls that shoot over 40 and another 36. We decided to play man and take away the three but we can't guard the dribble drive in the man so we gave up uncontested layups. In the end it was the right choice as a three counts more than a two and even Belmont missed a few inside today. The defense that should've been played but doubt it is in our system or thought is a man zone. You take you best three on the ball defenders and guard their best three point shooters man to man. You put two other players in a lane zone close to the basket. If they want to get an open three one of their weaker three point shooters is going to have to make them. If they dribble drive past your man defender then you have players on each side of the lane inside in a zone to defend the basket.
We also saw a classic example of how the speed up game can help you score but also help your opponent when your not making shots. In the first half when we were making shots it got us a 16 point lead. When you are missing shots it gives your opponent all the extra possessions they need to get back in the game. That is why when playing with a big lead I think you should go to a more deliberate game and work for shots and run more clock. We did this some in the fourth after they caught up in the third.
My thoughts on Belmont is that they are a very well coached team. Their coach should have a big time job. He has these girls really playing intelligent you can't press them and they make the right passes. They move the ball and play defense as well as UConn but don't have the talent. Massey had them rated the number 65 best team going into the game. I think if they were in the SEC they could handle Florida, Ole Miss, Vandy, on the road and win at least some their home games. I would say they could win six SEC games if they played in the league this season. They are ranked higher by Massey than Ole Miss, Vandy, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama,

Massey Ratings - CBW

This is where we miss a shot blocker if we had one we could extend the defense.

Agreed! Someone to send that shot back out of there. Hopefully key can anchor down and defend the rim but also team USA and Afrocentric use Jordan Horston in the back side of zones to defend the rim because of her shot blocking prowess. I still think a grad transfer to help anchor the post would help next year.

Reactions: Only1COJ
Agreed I also would have called a time out and ripped Meme a new one at half court for jacking up those stupid threes. She was pressing to hard and why CHW left her in I don’t know because she wasn’t nice stopping the Belmont guard from penetrating. Out of all the players she has too much rope. Shooters gotta shoot but seniors gotta know when your shots not falling drive it in and dish not throw up a three or drive it into three defenders and lose the ball. A time out would have been the perfect time to get on her. And that’s not a shot at Meme it’s just I expect more from her as a senior. I thought Rennia played a good game but got frustrated and disappeared and she can’t do that. That’s where ON COURT leadership have to get around her and let her know it’s ok.
Agreed I also would have called a time out and ripped Meme a new one at half court for jacking up those stupid threes. She was pressing to hard and why CHW left her in I don’t know because she wasn’t nice stopping the Belmont guard from penetrating. Out of all the players she has too much rope. Shooters gotta shoot but seniors gotta know when your shots not falling drive it in and dish not throw up a three or drive it into three defenders and lose the ball. A time out would have been the perfect time to get on her. And that’s not a shot at Meme it’s just I expect more from her as a senior. I thought Rennia played a good game but got frustrated and disappeared and she can’t do that. That’s where ON COURT leadership have to get around her and let her know it’s ok.

Lady Vols getting out played by a Short, UnAthletic, all-white basketball team.

Auburn ain't scared of the Lady Vols.
You’re a better poster than that, FP. Think about what you posted. Change one word of that post and think of how it would sound. It sounds the same from both sides.

Reactions: T_Vol376
That is why next season looks so much better on paper at least. Both post this season are tall but have no length. Both Key and Saunders are taller and also have the length you need. Both have very long arms will be much more difficult to shoot over them than KK and Green. This years team elite eight a great season next year we should expect a final four it will be our best roster since Parker.

That is why next season looks so much better on paper at least. Both post this season are tall but have no length. Both Key and Saunders are taller and also have the length you need. Both have very long arms will be much more difficult to shoot over them than KK and Green. This years team elite eight a great season next year we should expect a final four it will be our best roster since Parker.
It’s always next year with Holly. Next year is here again, what’s different?

Reactions: sccshortstop
I find it very difficult to watch a Holly Warlick coached team. Yet, I watch all the games and root for the team. I want to be positive, but it seems like she has not been able to manage the talent that she has.

Massey Ratings - CBW
Yes, a reasoned assessment. The LVs were on fire in the 1st half. At one point, they were shooting close to 70% from behind the arc (I think 8 for 12 at their peak). The downside of that unusually hot shooting is that it papered over a number of defensive cracks that showed up big time in the 3rd quarter. I agree that Belmont is a very well coached and disciplined team. And the LVs just did not adjust to all the backdoor cut plays they ran on us. And Belmont's players were much better than you would expect for a mid major. They hit some quality shots going to the rim with nice ball fakes to create space. The one 5'5 guard was quite crafty. The pluses of the game is that Evina looked better in terms of her movement than against Murray State. And Massengill continues to look more confident and comfortable on the court (as do all the freshman really). KK needs to get going. Hopefully, with a few more games under her belt she can provide a stronger post presence.

Last edited:
It’s always next year with Holly. Next year is here again, what’s different?
Last year was certainly a failure with two seniors and the number one class. Down to basically sophomores and freshmen this year no legitimate post so this team doesn't look capable of doing it no defensive stopper. Big in the post next season gives hope again with juniors and sophomores but of course your right we've seen this all before.

This years elite eight is not going to happen. Post play is slow and nearly lifeless. None of them can jump. Our only hope is for Mimi to get to play more and more because she at least puts forth more effort during the game than anyone else. Not highly skilled but tries. Davis is up an down like a yo yo . Love these girls but not EE this year. JMHO as always!

She got us a win against Texas this year (2018) which was ranked 10th at the time she won that one.
I am so excited, NOT! Just wait, this team will fold against the upper tier teams, just like the last few years!!! There is no rational argument to keep Holly! Reminds me of Botch Jones! She is in way over her head!

Reactions: vol-un-tear
This years elite eight is not going to happen. Post play is slow and nearly lifeless. None of them can jump. Our only hope is for Mimi to get to play more and more because she at least puts forth more effort during the game than anyone else. Not highly skilled but tries. Davis is up an down like a yo yo . Love these girls but not EE this year. JMHO as always!
I can agree with you but at least that is the hope and goal I would like to see this team accomplish. Massey rating our offense 13th and defense 105 you can't get there with that kind of defense.

I am so excited, NOT! Just wait, this team will fold against the upper tier teams, just like the last few years!!! There is no rational argument to keep Holly! Reminds me of Botch Jones! She is in way over her head!

200.gif

VN Store

Back