Lady Vols - Turnovers

And that we can analyze the shortcomings without getting nasty or personal. It's like those signs I see in neighborhood s that read, " Drive like your kids live here." Well, let's try to comment as though the players are our daughters. Hopefully, that means staying positive and supportive even when we grit our teeth and shake our heads privately.

Great post, creek! I pulled this part out because it was so perfectly stated. Thank you.

Reactions: ruvol
As for the team finally showing some frustration and possibly reverting back to one of last year’s bad habits, head-hanging, we should keep in mind that all of this will be visible to the staff and players when they (assumably) watch the game tape. I have a strong feeling that body language is going to get some added attention over the next week. I know they’ve been super-conscious of it all season, so I can overlook this one brief letdown. They’re sure to do better in coming games because that’s not something this staff is going to tolerate becoming a habit again. Not. Happening!

Reactions: creekdipper
As for the team finally showing some frustration and possibly reverting back to one of last year’s bad habits, head-hanging, we should keep in mind that all of this will be visible to the staff and players when they (assumably) watch the game tape. I have a strong feeling that body language is going to get some added attention over the next week. I know they’ve been super-conscious of it all season, so I can overlook this one brief letdown. They’re sure to do better in coming games because that’s not something this staff is going to tolerate becoming a habit again. Not. Happening!

I so hope you are right

I don't think the turnovers are a coaching problem.

tenor.gif

I would hope their coaching would be better since their coach makes twice as much as ours.

In fact, I believe Schaeffer is the highest-paid SEC coach at almost $1.6 million.

Well by connecting the dots of this logic, let's get us a 1.8M coach..... He has taken chicken sh-t and made a good chicken salad

I don't think the turnovers are a coaching problem. I think we have a physical problem at the guard positions. They are not quick enough or handle the ball well enough to not get overwhelmed by pressure. Jazz is really good but even she is prone to a couple of unforced mistakes because of the way smaller quicker players can trap her or pressure her. Horston needs a lot of work she is not the best ball handler she may dribble one off her leg at anytime or bounce one of her shoe. She may drive and the ball slip out of her hand those are most of her kind of turnovers. Other than those two ballhandlers we are limited on this team tough to deal with is just the reality right now.

Yes we have a guard problem.... but also game after game with over 20 turnovers.... it is absolutely a coaching issue when this happens because the head coach controls everything the team does everything the team practices, she controls the trajectory and flight of the team

Well by connecting the dots of this logic, let's get us a 1.8M coach..... He has taken chicken sh-t and made a good chicken salad

With as many maddeningly ill-advised, overbloated contracts for one after another after another after another stupid hire-turned-failed football and basketball coach that UT has bought out over the past 10 years, there was about as much chance of Tennessee shelling out $1.8 million for a women’s basketball coach as there was for UT paying $10 million for a new Tiddlywinks coach.

Seriously. That people keep lamenting the fact that UT didn’t hire someone like Vic, who would have demanded a salary higher than any even the great Pat Summitt was ever paid, is — and forgive me for saying this —absolutely laughable to me.

Now, if UT hadn’t been so stupid as to have awarded a seemingly endless series of WAAAAAAAAAY under-qualified and undeserving coaches such huge guaranteed contracts, then maybe someone like Vic could have been hired.

But noooooooo! Not only did the grossly overpaid do-nothing coaches get the boot after failing miserably, UT not only had to replace each of them with even HIGHER-paid coaches, they also STILL had to pay coaches who were no longer even associated with Tennessee the same as if they were still on staff. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

So yeah... right. Do go ahead and fantasize about how Vic Schaefer would have fared so much better after being willing to take the job for less than HALF of what he earns now. lol. That was never gonna happen. Ever.

I, for one, am over-the-moon happy with our coach, and I would bet my life that if we lined up all of the best and/or highest-paid basketball coaches that there’s not a single one of them who would love the program and be willing to give more of themselves to it, than Kellie Jolly Harper.

Yes we have a guard problem.... but also game after game with over 20 turnovers.... it is absolutely a coaching issue when this happens because the head coach controls everything the team does everything the team practices, she controls the trajectory and flight of the team
When you don't have speed and quickness at the guard positions easy for you to be pressured and the other team to rack up a lot of steals with the pressure. She probably could use everyone to get the ball over half court then slow the game down not push I've thought that would be the way to play to hold down the turnovers. As long as you play fast with slow guards probably going to see a lot of bad decisions by inept ball handlers. They have been drilled and drilled on taking care of the ball, passing, and dribbling and they continue to make the same mistakes. Who she going to replace them with that is the only other option left who we got answer no one she is playing with what she has there is no other option on the bench to go to.

Last edited:
Reactions: LasVegasBill23
At 9:43 in Q2 we had 3 turnovers all in Q1,,,then a run began, that turned into a 17-4 run with no timeout called'',,by the time Coach K called her first timeout, over 8 minutes later, 7 more had transpired. Six of which were unforced...

In my eyes, there is a direct cause and effect... (I wonder how AL sees it)

Turnovers: (Legend):
Q and time......How the T/O is officially listed......How it actually happened......Forced or Unforced ?

Q4
1:52 TURNOVER 12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (6 TO) Lou forced pass to Burrell=Unforced
2:55 TURNOVER 20 Tamari Key TURNOVER (2 TO) Jordan crossover picked off=Forced
3:31 TURNOVER 13 Jazmine Massengill TURNOVER (3 TO) Jazz bad outlet to Burrell=Unforced
3:51 TURNOVER 11 Kasiyahna Kushkituah TURNOVER (1 TO) KK got questionable bad screen call=XX
4:24 TURNOVER 12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (5 TO) Burrell loses dribble on forced entry=Unforced
6:18 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (6 TO) Jordan charged call after pass=Unforced
Q3
0:07 TURNOVER 20 Tamari Key TURNOVER (1 TO) Key bad pass to Burrell=Unforced
0:58 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (5 TO) Jordan, good pass, picked off=Forced
2:03 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (4 TO) Jordan bad dribble pickup/forced pass=Unforced
8:10 TURNOVER 13 Jazmine Massengill TURNOVER (2 TO) Jazz lazy inbound pass=Unforced
8:56 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (3 TO) Jordan blindside dribble-pickoff=Forced
9:45 TURNOVER 12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (4 TO) Burrell defended well on good postup=Forced
Q2
1:13 TURNOVER 15 Jaiden McCoy TURNOVER (2 TO) McCoy defended well=Forced
1:46 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (2 TO) Jordan defended well=Forced
2:14 TURNOVER 10 Jessie Rennie TURNOVER (1 TO) Jesse bad pass to KK=Unforced
2:50 TURNOVER 21 Lou Brown TURNOVER (1 TO) Lou bad entry pass to KK=Unforced
3:23TURNOVER 13 Jazmine Massengill TURNOVER (1 TO) Lou defended well on rebound=Forced
5:32TURNOVER12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (3 TO) Jordan bad pass to Burrell=Unforced
5:57TURNOVER12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (2 TO) Burrell loses dribble on forced entry=Unforced
8:54TURNOVER15 Jaiden McCoy TURNOVER (1 TO) McCoy hip check on screen=Unforced
Q1
1:17TURNOVER25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (1 TO) Jordan bad inbound pass=Unforced
3:32TURNOVER12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (1 TO) Burrell charge=Unforced
4:57TURNOVERTennessee TURNOVER (1 TO)Jazz over-dribbles shotclock violation=Unforced
I'm sure they have all be drilled and drilled on passing the ball and other fundamentals of the game. Exactly who she going to play if they can't get it . Who we got that she can put in if you continually work with every player on these specific types of plays and they still continue to make them. When you coach to the effect to prevent so many of these and your players still continue to do it the option is to replace them who we going to do that with exactly? Who can replace Burrell, Horston, they seem to be the worst two offenders? Who we got that we need to play ahead of them?

I'm sure they have all be drilled and drilled on passing the ball and other fundamentals of the game. Exactly who she going to play if they can't get it . Who we got that she can put in if you continually work with every player on these specific types of plays and they still continue to make them. When you coach to the effect to prevent so many of these and your players still continue to do it the option is to replace them who we going to do that with exactly? Who can replace Burrell, Horston, they seem to be the worst two offenders? Who we got that we need to play ahead of them?

You've got to reach the players you have already first.
If they are playing/acting/reacting differently now (which they are)...you have to figure out why

Yes, the SEC upped the field of play, but somewhere along the lines it changed
Bringing in a consultant is the right move (Al Brown) if he can see what she can't and if she truly listens to him

I don;t know their relationship, all I know is what I can see and surmise

You've got to reach the players you have already first.
If they are playing/acting/reacting differently now (which they are)...you have to figure out why

Yes, the SEC upped the field of play, but somewhere along the lines it changed
Bringing in a consultant is the right move (Al Brown) if he can see what she can't and if she truly listens to him

I don;t know their relationship, all I know is what I can see and surmise
There is some conversation that we will be looking to add some players Grad Transfer or whomever to next years roster other than the two recruits. I think may definitely happen if players continue to get it or fail to even make the effort to get where they need to be. All i know now is that you have the players you have must use them and sometimes all the bad reflects on the coach when the player in most cases shares at least equal amount of the blame for their play.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
There is some conversation that we will be looking to add some players Grad Transfer or whomever to next years roster other than the two recruits. I think may definitely happen if players continue to get it or fail to even make the effort to get where they need to be. All i know now is that you have the players you have must use them and sometimes all the bad reflects on the coach when the player in most cases shares at least equal amount of the blame for their play.

We are a speed-guard that is a pure PG away from final four material
But Jaz is close enough to this for us to be E8 right now

Reactions: lvocd
We are a speed-guard that is a pure PG away from final four material
But Jaz is close enough to this for us to be E8 right now
If we were getting consistent play out of other players other than Davis and Massengill. Beyond those two most of the other players on the team have been either good or terrible. Nothing out of Horston, Key, or very little out of Brown or the Bench versus Miss St and same at SC. Your not going to beat top teams with just two players doing what is necessary and that is where were at. I am sure the staff has tried to make the others better and it hasn't happened so we can agree that both coaching and the player are at fault. There will come a time when the player and the coach must get on the same page or someone will have to be leaving, demoted, a resolution found. Not going to be the coach for at least 3 to four seasons so these players will have to come around their present play will not be tolerated beyond this season JMO. A lot more is tolerated this season because there is no other player that could do better on the bench and evidently we have some players freshmen or otherwise with a slow learning curve or teachers that are not effective. The only way to really know would be to be there.

If we were getting consistent play out of other players other than Davis and Massengill. Beyond those two most of the other players on the team have been either good or terrible. Nothing out of Horston, Key, or very little out of Brown or the Bench versus Miss St and same at SC. Your not going to beat top teams with just two players doing what is necessary and that is where were at. I am sure the staff has tried to make the others better and it hasn't happened so we can agree that both coaching and the player are at fault. There will come a time when the player and the coach must get on the same page or someone will have to be leaving, demoted, a resolution found. Not going to be the coach for at least 3 to four seasons so these players will have to come around their present play will not be tolerated beyond this season JMO. A lot more is tolerated this season because there is no other player that could do better on the bench and evidently we have some players freshmen or otherwise with a slow learning curve or teachers that are not effective. The only way to really know would be to be there.

Things happen fast in CWBB
Switches get turned on and off in a proverbial blink

I consider someone could reach for the switch at any moment

In our last 4 losses, we've turned the ball over 92 times compared to our opponents' 39 TOs. Points scored off those TOs:
  • Kentucky 28, UT 15 (lost game by 4 points)
  • UConn 15, UT 6 (lost game by 15)
  • SC 28, UT 6 (lost game by 21)
  • Miss St 20, UT 3 (lost game by 17)
We're 251st nationally in TOs per game (17.5) and 329th in TOs forced (12.9). FWIW, in Warlick's last 4 years, those averages were 15.5 and 15.3, respectively. And that's the flip side of the TO coin that's rarely discussed; while it's clear that we've done a very poor job of protecting the ball, we've been just as glaringly deficient on defense when it comes to attacking, disrupting and creating more opportunities for our offense.

This season, we're not just one of the worst teams in the country in opponent steals per game (9.4, 314th nationally) but also in steals per game (just 5.6, 320th). In our last 3 losses, we allowed 42 steals but made only 10 ourselves.

Last edited:
A turnover is on the player.

Commiting and averaging excessive team turnovers in February are on the coach.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
No your wrong you were wrong about Davis and Walker you were wrong about Walz and his coaching ability and mainly your just an idiot case closed.

You wrong just like you were wrong about Davis and Walker and about Walz being the great coach and only thing your not wrong about is being an idiot because there you are correct.

When it takes you two tries to make the same non-coherent post, I'd be careful about who you call an idiot...

VN Store

Back