Lady Vols - Turnovers

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The LV had only 3 turnovers in the first quarter and 20 in the next 3 quarters. Mississippi State scored 20 points off the LV turnovers...same old story of no ball security. Part of those turnovers came off the aggressive defense of Mississippi State. I do not see any results of trying to improve this from Coach Harper either. Thank goodness the softball season is coming up.

Reactions: RollerVol
The LV had only 3 turnovers in the first quarter and 20 in the next 3 quarters. Mississippi State scored 20 points off the LV turnovers...same old story of no ball security. Part of those turnovers came off the aggressive defense of Mississippi State. I do not see any results of trying to improve this from Coach Harper either. Thank goodness the softball season is coming up.
The plus side is that the turnovers weren't of the careless variety. MSST was in full on ball Hawking mode.

The plus side is that the turnovers weren't of the careless variety. MSST was in full on ball Hawking mode.
Hmm, I thought they were mostly careless, as usual. Every pass, even the most routine, becomes an adventure. Maybe the thought of pressure rattles us, and by us I mostly mean JH, who should simply NOT be asked to handle the ball against pressure so much. I think we're well passed the point of learning by making mistakes with her. Need new strategy for fixing her.

What I see is a team without many players, trying to do things that may have worked in highschool, but not on this level. Horston needs to be reeled in. Someone needs to tell her, she's not Magic Johnson. For every point she scores, she turns it back to the other team with a turnover. Our team is not physical enough. SC and Miss. St. both out hustled our team for loose balls and rebounds. There was a reason why coach Summitts' teams wore mouth pieces. They were physical in every part of the game. we also need next years class to come in ready to be a team. we missed enough shots in close to be in the game, but both combined and you won't win many. Go Lady Vols!

I finally had to quit watching and went to Fox to watch Tucker Carlosn ! When all the turnovers begin , it appears to be catching. So I gotta go !! We could be a good team if we could eliminate all of the turnovers.

Turnovers out of control.... Mississippi State i saw on TV has its first McDonalds All American recruit in the freshman Jackson..... and they still beat us by 17 yes their coaching appears to be better their team better

Turnovers out of control.... Mississippi State i saw on TV has its first McDonalds All American recruit in the freshman Jackson..... and they still beat us by 17 yes their coaching appears to be better their team better
Again, 20 turnovers and MSST scores 18 off of those turnovers. SMH...

I would hope their coaching would be better since their coach makes twice as much as ours.

In fact, I believe Schaeffer is the highest-paid SEC coach at almost $1.6 million.

Last edited:
I would hope their coaching would be better since their coach makes twice as much as ours.

In fact, I believe Schaeffer is the highest-paid SEC coach at almost $1.6 million.
Vic wasn't pulling that kind of money when he first started at MSST 8 years or so ago. Two NC games will get you the $$$, and he's rightfully earned that.

Vic wasn't pulling that kind of money when he first started at MSST 8 years or so ago. Two NC games will get you the $$$, and he's rightfully earned that.

And he won 13 games his first season at Miss St.

Agree with your current assessment, but just saying that the comparisons to Kellie are a bit premature.

BTW...always have like Vic. I did think he could have been gracious enough to mention that we were missing our Wooden Watch and all-SEC performer, just to add a little perspective.

Last edited:
same story, different game...of course we sure missed Rennia not playing...anyway, as always and forevermore...

GO LADY VOLS!

Stupid, lazy passes, that everyone sees coming, and a turtle could get in passing lanes, and our players don't move to passes. Our post really need to be aggressive our catching entry passes, too are knocked away from players behind them

One I haven't seen discussed about Rennia's absence last night was how much we missed her leadership.

Of course we missed the scoring, rebounding, ball handling, decision-making, and defense.

But Rennia has been a very vocal leader on the court this year. She's been quarantined from practices and the only time I saw her on the bench last night, she had her hoodie up covering her mouth.

You could see players starting to get frustrated on thr court. I think I saw Jazz stamp her foot once when inbounding with no one getting open. And there seemed to be some finger-pointing, head-hanging, arguing going on. Rae played lights out at times, but Rae also showed some of the one-woman-army tendencies. Not blaming her when teammates weren't hustling, but that wasn't always the case. Jessie palmed the ball (wasn't called), Lou was a non-factor, Jaz got lazy and got the ball poked out from behind, Jordan plowed into a defender after passing the ball away from the basket, we threw away an in-bounds pass (again), no one knew who was taking the ball out, we failed to secure rebounds that fell at our feet, etc. It was a mess.

Some of our players are very one- dimensional. Not talking about role players who specialize in one facet of the game but are fundamentally sound otherwise. Talking about players who are extremely limited against good all-around players. I love their girls, but sometimes they are just overmatched in athleticism. And this is being exposed more now that the level of competition has increased...just as we feared.

I can appreciate players hustling and giving all they have. Jessie's taking the charge on the four-on-one break was a gutsy play on her part. It's going to take a lot of mental fortitude on the players' parts to come out of this stretch with their spirit intact. We saw what happened last year with the meltdown/implosion and just plain quit on the part of some players. I think this bunch is tougher and have bonded more. Winning the winnable games and competing hard and working on fundamentals in the underdog games (with chance for upset with smarter play) will allow for a strong finish going forward.

I ser this as a critical time for this season and for the returning players. I hope Re, Lou, Jazz, and maybe Rae can pull this group together, and that Kellie can get them to play hard for each other, for her, and for the program without alienating them.

And that we can analyze the shortcomings without getting nasty or personal. It's like those signs I see in neighborhood s that read, " Drive like your kids live here." Well, let's try to comment as though the players are our daughters. Hopefully, that means staying positive and supportive even when we grit our teeth and shake our heads privately.

BTW...always have like Vic. I did think he could have been gracious enough to mention that we were missing our Wooden Watch and all-SEC performer, just to add a little perspective.

He did. Said something about how he didn't know she'd be out until right before the game, and that his team had to stay focused because Tennessee has other players that could step up. He specifically called out how well Rae played.

I'd like to see more (better) game situation awareness.

We should always strive to execute flawlessly regardless of the score, but a tight, close game is not the time to be trying high-risk, low-percentage passes. Those are mental errors. Players have to know the score, shot clock, time, momentum, opponents' tendencies, teammates' preferences and capabilities, opponents' fatigue level, one's own limitations, everything in game situations, especially tight ones.

Some of our returning players have improved a lot in those areas.

He did. Said something about how he didn't know she'd be out until right before the game, and that his team had to stay focused because Tennessee has other players that could step up. He specifically called out how well Rae played.

Yes, his presser had those remarks, which I saw after posting.

I was referring to the immediate post-game TV interview. He just seemed to repeat over and over how proud he was of his team (rightfully). I have much respect and admiration for Vic...he's not just a great coach but also a fine Christian man. Just disappointed that he didn't note the tremendous advantage his #8 team got from not having to face our undisputed team leader and only consistent offensive threat. Observe the effects of losing Carter and Howard have had on A&M and KY.

Anyway, the victors have the right to comment as they see fit. Vic was excited and proud in the moment and didn't need to make excuses for us or downplay his big win over Tennessee.

Reactions: krichunaka
You could see players starting to get frustrated on thr court. I think I saw Jazz stamp her foot once when inbounding with no one getting open. And there seemed to be some finger-pointing, head-hanging, arguing going on.
Damn. Didn't see that and will be cressfallen if its true. Did see Jaz stamp come to think of it but I thought it was deserved and constructive stamping. One of my best rays of sunshine of the season is how much the culture surrounding the team has changed for the better. Bummer if that backslides.

Jaz. along with Davis, should be the on court leaders. They've earned it with their play
I think this bunch is tougher and have bonded more. W
Me too. That's more like it.
Well, let's try to comment as though the players are our daughters. Hopefully, that means staying positive and supportive even when we grit our teeth and shake our heads privately.
No thanks. I come here to grit and shake bc its more fun to do so with other LV overthinkers. I think I should be able to do so without worrying that anyone's feelings will be hurt by my opinions, least of all the real life players who have neither time nor interest in what I think.

I'm going to check with someone who was actually at the game last tonight to get her take. She's a former high school head coach who now works security for UT football and basketball games (men and women). Last night she was just there as a fan, so she should have a better birds' eye view.

I could be wrong about the frustration level; just going by tv viewing. I was pretty frustrated at that point myself.

Reactions: glv98
I don't think the turnovers are a coaching problem. I think we have a physical problem at the guard positions. They are not quick enough or handle the ball well enough to not get overwhelmed by pressure. Jazz is really good but even she is prone to a couple of unforced mistakes because of the way smaller quicker players can trap her or pressure her. Horston needs a lot of work she is not the best ball handler she may dribble one off her leg at anytime or bounce one of her shoe. She may drive and the ball slip out of her hand those are most of her kind of turnovers. Other than those two ballhandlers we are limited on this team tough to deal with is just the reality right now.

Reactions: Nickid1975
I don't think the turnovers are a coaching problem. I think we have a physical problem at the guard positions. They are not quick enough or handle the ball well enough to not get overwhelmed by pressure. Jazz is really good but even she is prone to a couple of unforced mistakes because of the way smaller quicker players can trap her or pressure her. Horston needs a lot of work she is not the best ball handler she may dribble one off her leg at anytime or bounce one of her shoe. She may drive and the ball slip out of her hand those are most of her kind of turnovers. Other than those two ballhandlers we are limited on this team tough to deal with is just the reality right now.

At 9:43 in Q2 we had 3 turnovers all in Q1,,,then a run began, that turned into a 17-4 run with no timeout called'',,by the time Coach K called her first timeout, over 8 minutes later, 7 more had transpired. Six of which were unforced...

In my eyes, there is a direct cause and effect... (I wonder how AL sees it)

Turnovers: (Legend):
Q and time......How the T/O is officially listed......How it actually happened......Forced or Unforced ?

Q4
1:52 TURNOVER 12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (6 TO) Lou forced pass to Burrell=Unforced
2:55 TURNOVER 20 Tamari Key TURNOVER (2 TO) Jordan crossover picked off=Forced
3:31 TURNOVER 13 Jazmine Massengill TURNOVER (3 TO) Jazz bad outlet to Burrell=Unforced
3:51 TURNOVER 11 Kasiyahna Kushkituah TURNOVER (1 TO) KK got questionable bad screen call=XX
4:24 TURNOVER 12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (5 TO) Burrell loses dribble on forced entry=Unforced
6:18 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (6 TO) Jordan charged call after pass=Unforced
Q3
0:07 TURNOVER 20 Tamari Key TURNOVER (1 TO) Key bad pass to Burrell=Unforced
0:58 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (5 TO) Jordan, good pass, picked off=Forced
2:03 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (4 TO) Jordan bad dribble pickup/forced pass=Unforced
8:10 TURNOVER 13 Jazmine Massengill TURNOVER (2 TO) Jazz lazy inbound pass=Unforced
8:56 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (3 TO) Jordan blindside dribble-pickoff=Forced
9:45 TURNOVER 12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (4 TO) Burrell defended well on good postup=Forced
Q2
1:13 TURNOVER 15 Jaiden McCoy TURNOVER (2 TO) McCoy defended well=Forced
1:46 TURNOVER 25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (2 TO) Jordan defended well=Forced
2:14 TURNOVER 10 Jessie Rennie TURNOVER (1 TO) Jesse bad pass to KK=Unforced
2:50 TURNOVER 21 Lou Brown TURNOVER (1 TO) Lou bad entry pass to KK=Unforced
3:23TURNOVER 13 Jazmine Massengill TURNOVER (1 TO) Lou defended well on rebound=Forced
5:32TURNOVER12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (3 TO) Jordan bad pass to Burrell=Unforced
5:57TURNOVER12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (2 TO) Burrell loses dribble on forced entry=Unforced
8:54TURNOVER15 Jaiden McCoy TURNOVER (1 TO) McCoy hip check on screen=Unforced
Q1
1:17TURNOVER25 Jordan Horston TURNOVER (1 TO) Jordan bad inbound pass=Unforced
3:32TURNOVER12 Rae Burrell TURNOVER (1 TO) Burrell charge=Unforced
4:57TURNOVERTennessee TURNOVER (1 TO)Jazz over-dribbles shotclock violation=Unforced

Reactions: kamoshika and lvocd

VN Store

Back