Lady Vols Turnovers

The LV had 17 turnovers in the game, worst yet is that Georgia scored 24 points off those 17 turnovers. Against good teams this will result in a loss. Hope Coach Harper will address this issue soon.

Mickey commented during the game that Kellie has shortened practices to allow time for the players to practice shooting. He was saying this has really paid off in the shooting percentage, which is probably true, but it means the players must not be getting in the gym on their own, and they're losing coaching time on things like turnovers.

Reactions: madtownvol
Spook this is obviously a major for you as most games have you start a similar thread.
Georgia had nine steals (TOs) Rae committed a charge (TO) on her behind the back pass and she was taken out. Three seconds - (when called is a TO) traveling several every game, example remember Massengale's skip step when she hesitated shooting and belated pass (TO) . Horston dribbled off her foot against Miss. Most obvious are transition passes too high or too long (three or four per game IMO) . KJH acknowledged in postgame comments that the TO that needed correcting were those that the player attempted to do that which "wasn't there."

Read this please not as criticism but given the many types of TOs that occur in a game, which are the weaknesses most important to correct through better coaching.

Oddly enough the least amount of turnovers was in game they blew out at Stanford ...they had 11. .. they have had over 20 TO 's in about 4 games .. they have had double digit in all ...they dont handle ball well and it will be issue all year .. its womens basketball people .. they cant pass, they cant dribble , they cant see , they can't jump , they cant anticipate ... etc etc .. get used to it .

Reactions: savannahfan
Spook this is obviously a major for you as most games have you start a similar thread.
Georgia had nine steals (TOs) Rae committed a charge (TO) on her behind the back pass and she was taken out. Three seconds - (when called is a TO) traveling several every game, example remember Massengale's skip step when she hesitated shooting and belated pass (TO) . Horston dribbled off her foot against Miss. Most obvious are transition passes too high or too long (three or four per game IMO) . KJH acknowledged in postgame comments that the TO that needed correcting were those that the player attempted to do that which "wasn't there."

Read this please not as criticism but given the many types of TOs that occur in a game, which are the weaknesses most important to correct through better coaching.

Thank you for explaining this...you are exactly right

The one thing losing the turnover over battle does and we have lost it almost every game this season is allow the other team to get up more shots at the basket than you do. It wasn't to bad in the Georgia game and we did get four more free throws but ideally you want to create a game where you are the team getting up the maximum number of the shots the more the better. When you shoot like we did today really doesn't become a factor, but in a close game when you and the other team are shooting close to identical percentages then the extra shot attempts become the factor between winning and losing. The Kentucky game was a prime example of that as they got 70 shots to our 61. The Texas game the shots were about equal we lost because they shot 36 percent and we shot 30. The only time it is acceptable to have fewer shots than you opponent is when you getting to the foul like numerous times more than they are. Hopefully in most of the games coming up we'll win the shots attempted stat as well as the trips to the free throw line. A lot easier to win a game when you are getting 10 to 15 shots more than the opponent even if they shoot a slightly higher percentage. Winning the turnover battle and getting on the boards for offensive rebounds plus one shot allowed defensive rebounds are the three keys to making that happen.

understand the TO deal...it's disturbing, no doubt, but when you make up for it in other areas, it evens out with most teams...agree though, it will/could be a larger factor playing better teams than Georgia...don't think it will be fixed anytime soon...I just hope we can try to limit them...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: Volfan2012
The LV had 17 turnovers in the game, worst yet is that Georgia scored 24 points off those 17 turnovers. Against good teams this will result in a loss. Hope Coach Harper will address this issue soon.
And Georgia lost by 17. When you push the ball up court, you have more turn overs. Not many of our turn overs were our players just throwing the ball to the defense in half court as we did for the last 5-6 years.

And Georgia lost by 17. When you push the ball up court, you have more turn overs. Not many of our turn overs were our players just throwing the ball to the defense in half court as we did for the last 5-6 years.
The turnover differential was only two 15 for them and 17 for us. We got four more free throws they got five more shots at the basket so not to much consequence in the turnovers in this game. I didn't like the fact that they got 10 offensive rebounds to our 8 considering our size but since we shot lights out in this game none of it matters today.

understand the TO deal...it's disturbing, no doubt, but when you make up for it in other areas, it evens out with most teams...agree though, it will/could be a larger factor playing better teams than Georgia...don't think it will be fixed anytime soon...I just hope we can try to limit them...:D

GO LADY VOLS!
If your gonna shoot 50 percent not a worry almost all the time it becomes a worry when you shoot 35 percent and they are shooting the ball more than you are and shooting the same percentage.

Oddly enough the least amount of turnovers was in game they blew out at Stanford ...they had 11. .. they have had over 20 TO 's in about 4 games .. they have had double digit in all ...they dont handle ball well and it will be issue all year .. its womens basketball people .. they cant pass, they cant dribble , they cant see , they can't jump , they cant anticipate ... etc etc .. get used to it .
Please don't say all can't jump many I bet can out jump you. The majority can definitely handle and dribble the ball. The majority are excellent passers. Anticipation is a majority of the players. Of course they are women weaker and smaller than men but the skill level is quite high in women's basketball based on their physical ability.

Reactions: ruvol
Mickey commented during the game that Kellie has shortened practices to allow time for the players to practice shooting. He was saying this has really paid off in the shooting percentage, which is probably true, but it means the players must not be getting in the gym on their own, and they're losing coaching time on things like turnovers.

These girl seem to me to be sluggish. Not very strong and mentally lazy. (when passing ball, no snap - not able to think ahead of a situation - and trying to make easy plays with bad passes rather than toughing out a possession) Could be a lot of youth and inexperience causing most of this. But from what you say, they just don't understand "what it takes" to be a big time player. I expect many of them have not had to "really put out" at the high school level and the "big time" is a shock to them..

These girl seem to me to be sluggish. Not very strong and mentally lazy. (when passing ball, no snap - not able to think ahead of a situation - and trying to make easy plays with bad passes rather than toughing out a possession) Could be a lot of youth and inexperience causing most of this. But from what you say, they just don't understand "what it takes" to be a big time player. I expect many of them have not had to "really put out" at the high school level and the "big time" is a shock to them..

No offense, but all those quotes made me feel that I was reading Jack Kirby dialogue.

The one thing losing the turnover over battle does and we have lost it almost every game this season is allow the other team to get up more shots at the basket than you do. It wasn't to bad in the Georgia game and we did get four more free throws but ideally you want to create a game where you are the team getting up the maximum number of the shots the more the better. When you shoot like we did today really doesn't become a factor, but in a close game when you and the other team are shooting close to identical percentages then the extra shot attempts become the factor between winning and losing. The Kentucky game was a prime example of that as they got 70 shots to our 61. The Texas game the shots were about equal we lost because they shot 36 percent and we shot 30. The only time it is acceptable to have fewer shots than you opponent is when you getting to the foul like numerous times more than they are. Hopefully in most of the games coming up we'll win the shots attempted stat as well as the trips to the free throw line. A lot easier to win a game when you are getting 10 to 15 shots more than the opponent even if they shoot a slightly higher percentage. Winning the turnover battle and getting on the boards for offensive rebounds plus one shot allowed defensive rebounds are the three keys to making that happen.

Kinda long winded (as I am most of the time), but what you say tells me we are first lazy, not playing together (very well) yet and just not use to needing to get offensive rebounds. As to rebounds these girls seem to just watch a shot in the air and have no idea of where it might fall if missed. They don't seem to have the instinct a good baseball outfielder has to anticipate where a hit ball may be going "before" it is hit.

Sorry, don't know whether to be please or have my feelings hurt, as I have no damned idea who Jack Kirby is.:confused:

You don't know the King!?!!

Aaarggggghhhh!!!!!! :mad:o_O:mad::eek::mad:

(Seriously, co-creator of Captain America, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Hulk, Sgt. Fury, Avengers, Black Panther, and numerous other world-famous comics characters over a career spanning five decades.

Generally acknowledged as one of the top 5 talents (if not THE greatest or most important single contributor to that industry) whose creative genius still has an impact long after his death.

"King" Kirby was the artist responsible for so many iconic character and costume designs but didn't get the credit for the ingenious plots until later in his career. His partnerships with first Joe Simon and then later with Stan Lee were some of the most innovative and prolific periods in pop culture. On his own, he did have a penchant for using quotation marks quite liberally even when the needwasn't apparent, although his many fans likely found this quirk to be endearing. It kind of grew on me.

Hey, trust me...any comparison to Jack Kirby is an honor.

Last edited:
You don't know the King!?!!

Aaarggggghhhh!!!!!! :mad:o_O:mad::eek::mad:

(Seriously, co-creator of Captain America, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Hulk, Sgt. Fury, Avengers, Black Panther, and numerous other world-famous comics characters over a career spanning five decades.

Generally acknowledged as one of the top 5 talents (if not THE greatest or most important single contributor to that industry) whose creative genius still has an impact long after his death.

"King" Kirby was the artist responsible for so many iconic character and costume designs but didn't get the credit for the ingenious plots until later in his career. His partnerships with first Joe Simon and then later with Stan Lee were some of the most innovative and prolific periods in pop culture. On his own, he did have a penchant for using quotation marks quite liberally even when the needwasn't apparent, although his many fans likely found this quirk to be endearing. It kind of grew on me.

Hey, trust me...any comparison to Jack Kirby is an honor.

Well, fine thank you..... I have actually never watched any of these shows or movies or what ever. I guess I have led a sheltered life.:rolleyes:

I can remember only buying one superhero comic book...The Hulk
To this day I quote the Hulk

"The more Hulk fights, the stronger Hulk gets"
To this day, it is my mantra
The phrse later became
“The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets.”
It could still be my mantra

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back