Lady Vols - Turnovers and Free Throws Cost Game

I agree with your premise! However , people keep talking about speed , in terms of slow and fast ! These terms are readily mentioned in track verses other sports . In basketball the major adjective is quickness ..... quick hands , quick feet , quick jumping for rebounds , etc.
This type athlete (Quick) is the ones that gives us the most trouble! We don’t have a quick player ..... maybe Rae ? Rae is more aggressive than quick .
Some have used the correlation of a water bug or a bug in general that no one can catch . Dangerfield is this type of player that we could not stop because nobody could keep her from getting her shot off ! Or the player that keeps driving right by our defenders because their first step is quicker than we can react to . Arkansas has quick guards that we will have trouble staying in front of and they can shoot the three ! We will not do well with this type of player ? JMO

PS : Quick players is the type of athlete we need to recruit ! Because we don’t have any !

defense is more than just being quicker. I have seen players who had speed and quickness, but bad technique and no anticipation. Defense is about corralling your quarry when they are quicker than you...ever watch the animal channel a gazelle is quicker than the big cat, but the big cat knows how to quarry the quicker gazelle. How about a house cat versus a scurrying mouse,,,same thing the cat knows how to quarry the tiny prey...

Focus on the hips, stay ahead of the prey, goad them into making mistakes. Use your length to quarry the smaller player.

It can be done, if taught right.
We have the right players, but they don't have the right technique

Wrong....it is the coaches job to get the team / players motivated to play hard for the entire game. That's the way it was when I played the game. Coaches push players to get more out of them than they think they have in them.

You are either a very good coach or have been privy to a very good coach.
Preach on!
It is my job as a coach to get the best out of you!

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
I would like her to shoot more run more plays for her and she could definitely be more aggressive in taking over the offense. As a junior she needs to demand the ball more and when she gets it she needs to make something happen. I hope she is coming back for her senior year and during the summer totally works on her ball handling and drive to the basket. No reason she can't draw fouls and get to the line as many times as Carter. Maybe she should see if falling down everytime she shoots would work for her like it does Carter.
Well, don’t know about that last part, Carter looks like she’s got some cushion to fall on, Rennia not so much. 😊

defense is more than just being quicker. I have seen players who had speed and quickness, but bad technique and no anticipation. Defense is about corralling your quarry when they are quicker than you...ever watch the animal channel a gazelle is quicker than the big cat, but the big cat knows how to quarry the quicker gazelle. How about a house cat versus a scurrying mouse,,,same thing the cat knows how to quarry the tiny prey...

Focus on the hips, stay ahead of the prey, goad them into making mistakes. Use your length to quarry the smaller player.

It can be done, if taught right.
We have the right players, but they don't have the right technique

You are either a very good coach or have been privy to a very good coach.
Preach on!
It is my job as a coach to get the best out of you!
Ever hear of this man ?

Attachments

• Stu Aberdeen-001.jpg
    Stu Aberdeen-001.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
It’s called limiting their best player and see if someone else can beat you. Defend Carter better and see were the chips fall!
There are a lot of players who have a difficult time defending Carter because she creates shots.You guard her face up and she will hit a fall away jumper. You can face guard her with hands extended and she will hit a high arc shot. She has an assortment of shots and a few are unbelievable.She is just one of those special players who can take over a game even when defended well. I believe Davis can be hard to guard, however it only comes in spurts. She can create shots as well.

Reactions: Amb3096
Besides the missed free throws and turnovers how freakin unlucky is Tennessee this year. Seems like we are catching everyone's career game when we play them. Howard at Kentucky, Carter Texas A&M, Pointer LSU, all played well beyond the way they've played anywhere else. The name Lady Vol still lights a fire under players, but still you would think we could catch an average or below average game from some player just a couple of times. If Howard, Carter, or Pointer have an average game we win all three of those games. They had to play well beyond their usual play for us to lose to them.
Instead of giving so much credit to those 3 players for having career games against us maybe we should look at our inept defense.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
There are a lot of players who have a difficult time defending Carter because she creates shots.You guard her face up and she will hit a fall away jumper. You can face guard her with hands extended and she will hit a high arc shot. She has an assortment of shots and a few are unbelievable.She is just one of those special players who can take over a game even when defended well. I believe Davis can be hard to guard, however it only comes in spurts. She can create shots as well.

For once, I agree with the generally less than stellar SEC announcers who compared Chennedy to James Harden. She is very good at selling a foul. There was a crucial play where Rae played perfect defense, and Chennedy takes a terrible 3 but falls down and gets the foul. After the announcers lambasted Rae for not being smarter, they sheepishly acknowledged that "oh, that wasn't a foul" and quickly moved on.

I am not blaming the refs so much as complimenting Chennedy for being highly skilled at draw fouls, even when she initiates the contact or fakes it.

The FT disparity is interesting the LVs a terrible 6 for 16 with TAM 28-33 (and Chennedy going 14-16). Her FTs = the disparity in opporunties

But even with her going off, the LVs held everybody else to 36 and should have scored way more than 73.

You have to conjecture, it is in the box score math. If the LVs had hit just 70% (11 for 16), we are discussing the LVs great bounce back win.

That is what makes this game so frustrating to me. They were not overmatched against a better team, as per USC, nor were they just out hustled as per LSU. The LVs were the better team last night but they gave it away with bad FT shooting; missing some really wide open lay-ups, unforced TO, and really poor clock down the last 3 minutes. That last problem has to fall on Kellie's shoulders but the game should not have come down to those closing moments.

Last edited:
It's almost as if the defensive schemes from the coach are ineffective. But it's probably just coincidence...
Or it could be we don't have anyone talented enough to guard a couple of those players. Pointer we should've been able to prevent getting to the basket. Carter and Howard are a different story you just do the best they can and hope they have a bad shooting game. Our defense ranks close to the top of the SEC offense has been the big problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178
Instead of giving so much credit to those 3 players for having career games against us maybe we should look at our inept defense.
That would be fine if I hadn't seen them have bad games against inept defenses several times this year no where near what they did against us. I didn't think the defense was bad against either player. Carter falls down and gets a foul everytime she misses. Howard was scoring against double teams when we played them. Sometimes even the best defense can't guard them and sometimes they can't score against the worse defense. Hard to discredit our defense so much we rank close to the top of the SEC.

Reactions: StrangeVol
For once, I agree with the generally less than stellar SEC announcers who compared Chennedy to James Harden. She is very good at selling a foul. There was a crucial play where Rae played perfect defense, and Chennedy takes a terrible 3 but falls down and gets the foul. After the announcers lambasted Rae for not being smarter, they sheepishly acknowledged that "oh, that wasn't a foul" and quickly moved on.

I am not blaming the refs so much as complimenting Chennedy for being highly skilled at draw fouls, even when she initiates the contact or fakes it.

The FT disparity is interesting the LVs a terrible 6 for 16 with TAM 28-33 (and Chennedy going 14-16). Her FTs = the disparity in opporunties

But even with her going off, the LVs held everybody else to 36 and should have scored way more than 73.

You have to conjecture, it is in the box score math. If the LVs had hit just 70% (11 for 16), we are discussing the LVs great bounce back win.

That is what makes this game so frustrating to me. They were not overmatched against a better team, as per USC, nor were they just out hustled as per LSU. The LVs were the better team last night but they gave it away with bad FT shooting; missing some really wide open lay-ups, unforced TO, and really poor clock down the last 3 minutes. That last problem has to fall on Kellie's shoulders but the game should not have come down to those closing moments.

I also believe that super stars get calls that none super stars simply do not get. I also believe some coaches coach the flop. If done the right way it is easy to sell flops. That is also another reason it is hard to guard Carter, she “falls” down a lot. However, at the end of the day we lost the game on our own, for the very reasons you stated.

I also believe that super stars get calls that none super stars simply do not get. I also believe some coaches coach the flop. If done the right way it is easy to sell flops. That is also another reason it is hard to guard Carter, she “falls” down a lot. However, at the end of the day we lost the game on our own, for the very reasons you stated.
The flopping served her well. Good player but also a good actress.

No one ever had to coach my heart. I played hard ALWAYS.
The rarest type of athlete to have is one that is self-motivated and self-governing. This follows them through life. Are the kind of workers everybody else wants to hire because he doesn't have to browbeat them to get the best out of them. I'm still trying to figure out if this is an innate quality or taught.. I've seen kids with worthless parents whose work ethic was tremendous and I've seen the opposite. But I understand what you're saying. I was the same way. When I played baseball and I pitched I would find the balls that were hit out of bounds after games were over and take them home and once I had a bucket I would throw them against a fence with duct tape making a strike zone and throw them just all day long. At one point my dad hammered and two by four into the ground and placed a can on top of it and challenge me and my brother to pitch and Nick the can without knocking it off. I've only had a few girls in my lifetime that were that way. The kind of girl / player who would miss a foul shot and then plowed to the ground and do 10 push-ups and then get back up and shoot another foul shot without being told to do so

Reactions: stlvolsfan

VN Store

Back