Lady Vols - Turnovers and Free Throws Cost Game

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The Lady Vols lost by 2 points all due to either free throws or turnovers. Texas A&M scored 19 points off the LV 16 turnovers. Horston was a "negative" with 6 turnovers. Free throws were not good either...Tamari made only 1 out of 6 free throws...if she had made 3 of those the LV would have won by 1 point.

Reactions: madtownvol
The Lady Vols lost by 2 points all due to either free throws or turnovers. Texas A&M scored 19 points off the LV 16 turnovers. Horston was a "negative" with 6 turnovers. Free throws were not good either...Tamari made only 1 out of 6 free throws...if she had made 3 of those the LV would have won by 1 point.
This game was certainly winnable. Let us look forward to the next 4 games and to next season. I believe we can give SC a run for the money.

Yep even when we play fairly well we find a way to not score enough. In spite of the turnovers if we make 4 free throws out of ten still win.

Watched the last 12 mins of the LV game. They looked tried and just didn't want as bad as A&M. Just got out hustled a few times from what I saw. Hope Kelly can get more out of them in the next few games.

Reactions: fastvol7
Watched the last 12 mins of the LV game. They looked tried and just didn't want as bad as A&M. Just got out hustled a few times from what I saw. Hope Kelly can get more out of them in the next few games.
Yep, and we sub like crazy for fresh legs, but lots of standing around on offense and no timeouts or butt chewing about it either.

I saw a team that was quicker than us. One time a loose ball went into the backcourt with three LVs in hot pursuit. One A&M player a couple steps behind. The A&M player beat them to the ball. Not because they were not trying or hustling, the A&M player was simply faster than our players.

Reactions: glv98
I saw a team that was quicker than us. One time a loose ball went into the backcourt with three LVs in hot pursuit. One A&M player a couple steps behind. The A&M player beat them to the ball. Not because they were not trying or hustling, the A&M player was simply faster than our players.
She was also a post player IIRC. She came in for Johnson.

She was also a post player IIRC. She came in for Johnson.

Are you speaking of the inbounds pass that the A&M player knocked toward the A&M goal? The goal that she was facing? And she, having hit the ball, was turned toward that same goal? While the Tennessee players would have logically been facing the Tennessee goal. In other words the A&M player had what we used to call a “run-a-go.” That particular A&M players, and all their players, as a team, might be quicker than our Ladies, but if that’s the play in question, then a bad example to illustrate the point.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I feel like that’s something they need to get from within. It’s not Kellie’s job to coach heart. You either have it or you don’t.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
I feel like that’s something they need to get from within. It’s not Kellie’s job to coach heart. You either have it or you don’t.

I think Pat could get that out of her players with her stare and her disciplined approach.

I think today's players are so much different, though. If you push them too hard, they just transfer. It is debatable on whether the transfer rule is good or bad for the sport.

Are you speaking of the inbounds pass that the A&M player knocked toward the A&M goal? The goal that she was facing? And she, having hit the ball, was turned toward that same goal? While the Tennessee players would have logically been facing the Tennessee goal. In other words the A&M player had what we used to call a “run-a-go.” That particular A&M players, and all their players, as a team, might be quicker than our Ladies, but if that’s the play in question, then a bad example to illustrate the point.

I've been griping about the in-bounds passing all season to my poor wife (who also gets upset). We don't seem to have the ability to go into a player or juke them and then cut away for open passes. As a result, we resort to the long over-the-head pass which can often be tipped if opponents are alert. And that can make the difference in a game.

I've also griped that our players don't jump and try to tip those same kinds of passes when our opponents do that. They just sort of watch it float overhead. Grrrrrrrr.

We don't seem to have the ability to go into a player or juke them and then cut away for open passes.

Yep. I know that some people can’t see it, but it’s plain as day to me that we are a much slower (overall) team than, well, ANY we’ve faced this season. I have noticed it every single game.

This is an issue that only time and future recruiting for quickness and basketball IQ will take care of.

Besides the missed free throws and turnovers how freakin unlucky is Tennessee this year. Seems like we are catching everyone's career game when we play them. Howard at Kentucky, Carter Texas A&M, Pointer LSU, all played well beyond the way they've played anywhere else. The name Lady Vol still lights a fire under players, but still you would think we could catch an average or below average game from some player just a couple of times. If Howard, Carter, or Pointer have an average game we win all three of those games. They had to play well beyond their usual play for us to lose to them.

Besides the missed free throws and turnovers how freakin unlucky is Tennessee this year. Seems like we are catching everyone's career game when we play them. Howard at Kentucky, Carter Texas A&M, Pointer LSU, all played well beyond the way they've played anywhere else. The name Lady Vol still lights a fire under players, but still you would think we could catch an average or below average game from some player just a couple of times. If Howard, Carter, or Pointer have an average game we win all three of those games. They had to play well beyond their usual play for us to lose to them.
It’s called limiting their best player and see if someone else can beat you. Defend Carter better and see were the chips fall!

It’s called limiting their best player and see if someone else can beat you. Defend Carter better and see were the chips fall!
That wasn't the point I have seen both play numerous times this season and they got the same open shots and missed far more of them. We were double teaming Howard and she was still throwing up shots that were going in.

Wrong....it is the coaches job to get the team / players motivated to play hard for the entire game. That's the way it was when I played the game. Coaches push players to get more out of them than they think they have in them.

Reactions: Memvol44
To tell you the truth, I would really like to see Rennia shooting more.
I would like her to shoot more run more plays for her and she could definitely be more aggressive in taking over the offense. As a junior she needs to demand the ball more and when she gets it she needs to make something happen. I hope she is coming back for her senior year and during the summer totally works on her ball handling and drive to the basket. No reason she can't draw fouls and get to the line as many times as Carter. Maybe she should see if falling down everytime she shoots would work for her like it does Carter.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
Yep. I know that some people can’t see it, but it’s plain as day to me that we are a much slower (overall) team than, well, ANY we’ve faced this season. I have noticed it every single game.

This is an issue that only time and future recruiting for quickness and basketball IQ will take care of.

I agree with your premise! However , people keep talking about speed , in terms of slow and fast ! These terms are readily mentioned in track verses other sports . In basketball the major adjective is quickness ..... quick hands , quick feet , quick jumping for rebounds , etc.
This type athlete (Quick) is the ones that gives us the most trouble! We don’t have a quick player ..... maybe Rae ? Rae is more aggressive than quick .
Some have used the correlation of a water bug or a bug in general that no one can catch . Dangerfield is this type of player that we could not stop because nobody could keep her from getting her shot off ! Or the player that keeps driving right by our defenders because their first step is quicker than we can react to . Arkansas has quick guards that we will have trouble staying in front of and they can shoot the three ! We will not do well with this type of player ? JMO

PS : Quick players is the type of athlete we need to recruit ! Because we don’t have any !

Reactions: Amb3096 and lvocd

It's almost as if the defensive schemes from the coach are ineffective. But it's probably just coincidence...

VN Store

Back