Lady Vols' turnover stats over the past 5 seasons...

Not a pretty sight, especially the turnover margin (dead last in the SEC 3 years running). We haven't just been bad about giving up the ball, we've been even worse when it comes to forcing other teams to give it back.
View attachment 512378

Maybe the most maddening part of Kellie's teams. I thought getting a true point guard would help this season, but at this point I'm giving up hope the problem will ever get rectified...

Sad thing is I thought the point guard issue was solved. But last night I'm actually not sure that the issue was point guard play. I think the fact that she played so many players in multiple situations that the continuity of this team hasn't jelled yet.
What's scary is that she had three players in her starting lineup with PG skills and experience - Walker, Powell, and Horston. And they still had no chance and no idea of how to break that press. She later brought lighting fast PG Miles in and that did no good, either.

What's scary is that she had three players in her starting lineup with PG skills and experience - Walker, Powell, and Horston. And they still had no chance and no idea of how to break that press. She later brought lighting fast PG Miles in and that did no good, either.

We apparently never work on spacing, coming to the ball, screening defenders to receive a pass, cutting sharply, passing crisply or using a taller player to throw over the press or be a pressure outlet. You have a 6' 7" player. You should use her. She can see the court unimpeded, and if she puts the ball over her head their guards aren't going to get it until someone comes open to throw it to.

Another thing no one has mentioned is that Ohio State had as many open looks at the 3 as they wanted. They just weren't going down for them last night. That is probably the second worst thing we do after turnovers --- allow open looks from the 3.

We apparently never work on spacing, coming to the ball, screening defenders to receive a pass, cutting sharply, passing crisply or using a taller player to throw over the press or be a pressure outlet. You have a 6' 7" player. You should use her. She can see the court unimpeded, and if she puts the ball over her head their guards aren't going to get it until someone comes open to throw it to.

Another thing no one has mentioned is that Ohio State had as many open looks at the 3 as they wanted. They just weren't going down for them last night. That is probably the second worst thing we do after turnovers --- allow open looks from the 3.
All good points.

Reactions: Jeff Clark

VN Store

Back