Lady Vols Turnaround

Right, if your team has a shortage of players perhaps that was a failure of the coach to plan or recruit effectively.
You can only play 5 at a time and they've had an entire week of rest. If we win this I don't want to hear any "qualifications".

I would go at them from the tip with RJ, she's really good at drawing fouls. And if you are trying not to foul, she will eat you alive.
Start RJ!

No excuses. You got out to win every game with what you have. This is big time basketball, big time salaries paid, big time results are expected, and if we don't get big time results we change coaches and players til we do. I am convinced Kelly can get it done. I know as well as anybody who has played or coached sports at vey competitive levels you focus on what it takes to win and not go through a checklist of how you can lose. Everybody that takes the court for UCONN or any other team we face will show up with players that have 2 arms and 2 legs just like us. Just get it done or take it down I-75.

Not only is the SEC not good, but the first half of Tennessee's conference schedule happened to be frontloaded with the bottom half of the league this season. Of their 8 SEC games, only two teams -- Alabama and MSU -- have winning conference records (both are still unranked). Fans are frustrated the Lady Vols still aren't ranked despite an undefeated conference record, but this is why. They've beaten nobody.

The last half of the conference schedule includes South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, trips to Arkansas and MSU -- it's about to get real...
All true ... and yet, I would still say that the Lady Vols are playing better now than they were in November and early December. I still don't think Tennessee will get past the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament, but at least they should be there. That was looking iffy for a while.

All true ... and yet, I would still say that the Lady Vols are playing better now than they were in November and early December. I still don't think Tennessee will get past the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament, but at least they should be there. That was looking iffy for a while.
Brackets will change of course, but look at this current model for instance….very favorable for UT imo. They would face Creighton then likely ND (who just lost their starting PG for the season btw) who is not formidable. Win those two games and then likely face Utah, another team UT matches well against. Then it would likely be a rematch with OSU, except I think the LV’s would be better positioned now to win that game. The bracket placements this season are so important to many teams.

Women's Bracketology: Iowa jumps to 2-seed, Indiana climbs to No. 2 overall

I agree that they're playing somewhat better, but it's hard to say by how much given the drop off in the caliber of teams they're playing. UConn/LSU in the next week will answer that question.

IMO, the keys for this team are:

1) can UT maintain defensive intensity/effort for a full game
2) partly as a corollary to point 1, can we avoid bad stretches/bad quarters. You aren't always
going to have good quarters but you can't have bad ones relative to the opponent--especially against
good teams. You lose a quarter by, say, 8 or more points to a good team, it's hard to win.
3) Can the guards play well--ball movement, assists, good passing, few turnovers.
4) finally, can we get more and better shooting from the 3-line. We shoot 31/32% from the 3-line;
UConn, to name one example, shoots 40% from the 3-line. That can easily be the difference between
winning and losing. Virginia Tech average 8 3's a game, at 33%. That's double the number of 3s we make, on average.
Winning margin. Indiana makes 7 3's a game, on average, at 35%. OSU makes 8 3's a game at 34%.

2) partly as a corollary to point 1, can we avoid bad stretches/bad quarters. You aren't always
going to have good quarters but you can't have bad ones relative to the opponent--especially against
good teams. You lose a quarter by, say, 8 or more points to a good team, it's hard to win.
3) Can the guards play well--ball movement, assists, good passing, few turnovers.
4) finally, can we get more and better shooting from the 3-line. We shoot 31/32% from the 3-line;
UConn, to name one example, shoots 40% from the 3-line. That can easily be the difference between
winning and losing. Virginia Tech average 8 3's a game, at 33%. That's double the number of 3s we make, on average.
Winning margin. Indiana makes 7 3's a game, on average, at 35%. OSU makes 8 3's a game at 34%.
Let that ball fly!

Jordan and Rickea need to play at least 30 mins each

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Brackets will change of course, but look at this current model for instance….very favorable for UT imo. They would face Creighton then likely ND (who just lost their starting PG for the season btw) who is not formidable. Win those two games and then likely face Utah, another team UT matches well against. Then it would likely be a rematch with OSU, except I think the LV’s would be better positioned now to win that game. The bracket placements this season are so important to many teams.

Women's Bracketology: Iowa jumps to 2-seed, Indiana climbs to No. 2 overall
Ohio State is a team that I do not want to meet in the Tournament unless it is the Final 4. Not to say we can't beat them, because we can, but their press will gives us fits again if we play them again. I don't buy the we have better athletes than them logic because they have very good experienced basketball players who are winners. Rather play almost anyone other than them

yeah...9-0, and they should be looking at who they beat. i know this isn't the forum for this question, but has anyone even considered what the Lady Vols will look like next year? :eek:

1674606106104.png

yeah...9-0, and they should be looking at who they beat. i know this isn't the forum for this question, but has anyone even considered what the Lady Vols will look like next year? :eek:

View attachment 532755
This thread is fine to draw into question the quality of the teams they’ve beat during the win streak, as well as to ask what they’ll look like next year. This isn’t the BY, complete with thread nazis.

Last edited:
Reactions: volnationnj

View attachment 532755
Let’s wait until the season ends to discuss the latter.
I kinda don’t want to think about us having to rely so heavily on the portal right now.

View attachment 532755

Yup, I have... I have looked at them with the players that can return and without them. But right now enjoying this 9-0 run and don't matter who they put in front of them you gotta beat them 😎

PS let's not tell Kim and the Tigers who are 20-0 and ranked in the top 4 about looking at who they played.... Also our SOS is still top 3 i do believe 😏

VN Store

Back