Lady Vols Softball

Mimi#1

Even with the home plate umpire not calling the corners with Ashley Roger's curve ball, she had NO hits until the 5th inning. The obstruction call was bogus. Guilia Koutsoynapolis had the ball several steps before the runner got there, and was not in the base path. Our Lady Vols Softball team are gritty! I love 'em!

Even with the home plate umpire not calling the corners with Ashley Roger's curve ball, she had NO hits until the 5th inning. The obstruction call was bogus. Guilia Koutsoynapolis had the ball several steps before the runner got there, and was not in the base path. Our Lady Vols Softball team are gritty! I love 'em!
@Freak

The Lady Vols Benefitted from a very similar obstruction call at third base a week or two ago. That seems to be the way the rule is written so it's not a bad call; whether it's a bad rule is a whole different discussion.

To make sure I understood the obstruction rule I read the information on the NCAA website. The rule was changed by the NCAA Rules Committee in 2017 to be effective for the 2018 season. Before the rule change a player could block the path of a runner even if they were not in possession of the ball.

The rule change seems to allow for subjectivety concerning clear path to the plate. It appears (to me) the Akansas player had a clear path to score before our catcher caught the ball. Once our catcher had the ball she is allowed to move to tag the runner even if that closes off part of the plate. I think the official in Birmingham made a poor decision, however the rule concerning clear path to the base is ambiguous.

Karen understands the rules concerning softball better than most umpires and I have not seen her ever ejected before. I am glad she stood her ground.

Last edited:
The Lady Vols Benefitted from a very similar obstruction call at third base a week or two ago. That seems to be the way the rule is written so it's not a bad call; whether it's a bad rule is a whole different discussion.

Different scenarios. It’s quite clear you don’t know what the rule is. In that case the runner (Goodloe) started her slide before the 3B got the ball, at least in that case it actually was obstruction by the rule book. Also the 3B had the entire base blocked — the runner couldn’t even make it to the bag. In today’s game, not only did Koutsoyanopolus have the ball before she slid, she also left part of the bag open.

Reactions: Mimi#1

Obstruction is supposed to only be a point of emphasis when the obstruction begins before a player is in possession of the ball. If she has the ball before a player begins her slide, obstruction is not supposed to be called, which seemed to be Karen’s point and why she was ejected. The rule was incorrectly applied by the replay center.

The call at the plate was "safe". The obstruction call came from people who cannot be identified

Reactions: Memvol44

VN Store

Back