Lady Vols Soccer: Where do we go from here?

StrangeVol

As of Thursday night (10/19), we stand 7th in the SEC. At this point, we look as though we are likely going to Orange Beach for the SEC tournament and perhaps beyond, depending. Depending, in this case, is a mighty big word and our girls know it, too!

We have two matches remaining against the best team in the league, Arkansas (On Halloween) and one of the weaker teams in Mississippi State this Sunday 10/27. Let's deal with Arkansas first.

The good news is we get Arkansas at Regal, where we don't often lose and are 8-1 at home for the season. The bad news is Arkansas just wins. Home or road it's all the same to them, they just win. I think it pretty unlikely that we'll beat them even at Regal...but a tie isn't out of the question. Our defense has been awfully good this season and even with the loss of one of our defenders (Wrenn French I think) to a nasty looking knee problem, with MA Vignola moving to the backline we'll be even more solid on defense but our offense will suffer greatly. Coach Pensky may go another route and keep MA forward looking to score and them move her to the back to defend a lead or tie. Hard to say what's the right move. I guess that's why Pensky gets the big bucks.

Now to Mississippi State. We go on the road to face them in Starkville where they really don't have an advantage as they are just 4-5-1 on their home pitch. Sounds like a good situation and it is...until you realize that we are just 1-4-2 on the road although I'll quickly point out that one of those two ties was at South Carolina when they were leading the league.

So, what needs to happen? Obviously we need to win both matches. I also need to have Santa bring me a Porche. Sadly, that ain't gonna happen either. :(

So what would insure us a trip to the beach? Win at MSU and we are a lock. It doesn't much matter what happens against Arkansas. Lose or tie at MSU and we are on the bubble big time and only a win against Arkansas will save us. Which brings us back to the Santa/Porche conundrum. Obviously, there are a bunch of different outcomes of other SEC matches which will/can have an effect on us, but assuming the remaining matches go pretty much to form, we just need a win at Mississippi State. There is a bit more good news. MSU is 1-3-1 in their last five matches. We, in comparison, are 3-1-1, so one might think we have an edge.

I do too. :)

GO LADY VOLS!!!!

As of Thursday night (10/19), we stand 7th in the SEC. At this point, we look as though we are likely going to Orange Beach for the SEC tournament and perhaps beyond, depending. Depending, in this case, is a mighty big word and our girls know it, too!

We have two matches remaining against the best team in the league, Arkansas (On Halloween) and one of the weaker teams in Mississippi State this Sunday 10/27. Let's deal with Arkansas first.

The good news is we get Arkansas at Regal, where we don't often lose and are 8-1 at home for the season. The bad news is Arkansas just wins. Home or road it's all the same to them, they just win. I think it pretty unlikely that we'll beat them even at Regal...but a tie isn't out of the question. Our defense has been awfully good this season and even with the loss of one of our defenders (Wrenn French I think) to a nasty looking knee problem, with MA Vignola moving to the backline we'll be even more solid on defense but our offense will suffer greatly. Coach Pensky may go another route and keep MA forward looking to score and them move her to the back to defend a lead or tie. Hard to say what's the right move. I guess that's why Pensky gets the big bucks.

I look for us to play them according to the results of the MSU game. Win at MSU and we can play them hard and maybe let MA help with scoring the ball. BIG IF, we can get out with a score do the same as we did with the Gators!
How did the hogs get so good?

Now to Mississippi State. We go on the road to face them in Starkville where they really don't have an advantage as they are just 4-5-1 on their home pitch. Sounds like a good situation and it is...until you realize that we are just 1-4-2 on the road although I'll quickly point out that one of those two ties was at South Carolina when they were leading the league.

That was a fluke just like us giving the commodedores a gift goal with under a minute to go !

So, what needs to happen? Obviously we need to win both matches. I also need to have Santa bring me a Porche. Sadly, that ain't gonna happen either. :(

Play like we did the last game and the last half agains the cocks and It may be done!

So what would insure us a trip to the beach? Win at MSU and we are a lock. It doesn't much matter what happens against Arkansas. Lose or tie at MSU and we are on the bubble big time and only a win against Arkansas will save us. Which brings us back to the Santa/Porche conundrum. Obviously, there are a bunch of different outcomes of other SEC matches which will/can have an effect on us, but assuming the remaining matches go pretty much to form, we just need a win at Mississippi State. There is a bit more good news. MSU is 1-3-1 in their last five matches. We, in comparison, are 3-1-1, so one might think we have an edge. YEP!

Take Myas shovel and cover up the past and dig us a new one!!

GO LADY VOLS!!!!
s of Thursday night (10/19), we stand 7th in the SEC. At this point, we look as though we are likely going to Orange Beach for the SEC tournament and perhaps beyond, depending. Depending, in this case, is a mighty big word and our girls know it, too!

So what would insure us a trip to the beach? Win at MSU and we are a lock. It doesn't much matter what happens against Arkansas. Lose or tie at MSU and we are on the bubble big time and only a win against Arkansas will save us. Which brings us back to the Santa/Porche conundrum. Obviously, there are a bunch of different outcomes of other SEC matches which will/can have an effect on us, but assuming the remaining matches go pretty much to form, we just need a win at Mississippi State. There is a bit more good news. MSU is 1-3-1 in their last five matches. We, in comparison, are 3-1-1, so one might think we have an edge.

GO LADY VOLS!!!!

thanks SV...more good stuff...I could be wrong but I thought the injury was to #4, Maria Nelson, but I've seen nothing on who it was exactly...hey Willis, what you mean we may not win both...:D

GO LADY VOLS...WIN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks SV...more good stuff...I could be wrong but I thought the injury was to #4, Maria Nelson, but I've seen nothing on who it was exactly...hey Willis, what you mean we may not win both...:D

GO LADY VOLS...WIN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are probably right on the injury...I was guessing based on who played that position a lot. Really I shouldn't have even guessed about an injury. My bad. :(

Reactions: RollerVol
Watched first half of soccer match with MS. Not as sharp today but still 0-0 . MA played defense and I would hope move up to help us score a goal or two. I tried to watch the VB match but could not get much interest and 2-0 sets but I understand the ladies won set 3. I am not sure I despise a group or coaches from the AD on down to the badminton coach more than the Gators. Seems that spurrier is teaching his technique to all the programs!!

Ladies came out of halftime and promptly gave up a goal. No sense of urgency today looks like even can clinch a trip to the beach but rather beat the pigs next match is guess.
Not going to score without MA and next year we may not score at all!

We don't seem to have any "spark" in this match...non-aggressive play for the most part. Not having MA up front really limits our scoring possibilities.

Reactions: RollerVol and MAD
2OT shortly. Played the first one in from of Romig in goal. We are being outplayed top to bottom by a team that looks faster and better than we are. I am to the point I would take a tie. LOL

Well...we got away with a tie...which may be enough to get us to the beach....but that almost seems pointless with our anemic offense...we won't get very far in the tournament or the NCAAs is we are so fortunate as to get a bid.

Ahhh well...there's always next year.

Well...we got away with a tie...which may be enough to get us to the beach....but that almost seems pointless with our anemic offense...we won't get very far in the tournament or the NCAAs is we are so fortunate as to get a bid.

Ahhh well...there's always next year.
Yep and without a scorer next year seems pointless!

Reactions: RollerVol
Yep and without a scorer next year seems pointless!

Ummm I'm not ready to throw in the towel for next year as I see some potential scorers in George, Sallon, Cook and don't forget we should get Erin Gilroy back all rehabbed and ready to go. This has been a season where we had some young talent, a sprinkling of upper-class talent and several people not available due to injury. Not saying they will but things could be better next year, at least I hope so. :)

Ummm I'm not ready to throw in the towel for next year as I see some potential scorers in George, Sallon, Cook and don't forget we should get Erin Gilroy back all rehabbed and ready to go. This has been a season where we had some young talent, a sprinkling of upper-class talent and several people not available due to injury. Not saying they will but things could be better next year, at least I hope so. :)
Not to argue the point at all but filling the spots of Katie, MA, Myia and I am sure I am missing someone else seems far fetched ! Ready for some BB and SB!!

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
I am ready for some BB and SB too, but I'm still gonna keep an eye on the Lady Soccer Vols...sometimes weird things can happen very unexpectedly...good or bad...you just never know for sure in tournaments...:D

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ready for some BB and SB too, but I'm still gonna keep an eye on the Lady Soccer Vols...sometimes weird things can happen very unexpectedly...good or bad...you just never know for sure in tournaments...:D

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will as well!!! Give the pigs hello in the next match on senior night and win one or two on the beach will cure some ailments!! JMHO as always! SS

Reactions: MAD and StrangeVol
As of this morning, we stand 10th (at the bottom) in points used to determine the seeding for Orange Beach. So it looks doubtful we'll be going to the tournament. Our only remaining match is against Arkansas, the top team in the SEC, at home on Halloween. Maybe the goblins will score a goal or two for us but barring that, I don't see us winning this one. Even a tie would be asking a lot. Given that Mississippi State has a remaining game against Missouri in Columbia, also on Halloween, that they should win or tie they would leap over us and grab the last spot in the seeding order. *sigh* Things are not looking good. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
As of this morning, we stand 10th (at the bottom) in points used to determine the seeding for Orange Beach. So it looks doubtful we'll be going to the tournament. Our only remaining match is against Arkansas, the top team in the SEC, at home on Halloween. Maybe the goblins will score a goal or two for us but barring that, I don't see us winning this one. Even a tie would be asking a lot. Given that Mississippi State has a remaining game against Missouri in Columbia, also on Halloween, that they should win or tie they would leap over us and grab the last spot in the seeding order. *sigh* Things are not looking good. :(
I was impressed with the size and speed of MSU last night. Surprised they have not won more games. We had our chance to go to the tourney but flat stunk up the joint and this was not the first time. I know we have key injuries but I would think every team has also. In VB and Soccer I do not blame the girls as much as some head scratching coaching and I will say this also: The coaches know way more than any of us on this board so I guess and hope they know what they are doing!

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back