Lady Vols Soccer and Volleyball have a busy weekend ahead!

StrangeVol

The Volleyballers kick off the weekend today at 7:00 in Lexington versus #3 Kentucky in the first of a two-game set, TV via SECNetwork. The second game is on Saturday evening at 7:00 with TV via SECNetwork+. A tough way to open the season, on the road against the #3 ranked team. Not sure what to expect, but I'll be watchin'. :)

The action continues Sunday afternoon with Soccer at 5:00, again in Lexington facing winless Kentucky (0-3-1), whose best result was a tie with Georgia in Athens. For comparison, our result from our recent trip to Athens was a one-goal loss. The match will be on ESPNU. It likely will be streamed also. Should be a good match.

Given we play Kentucky in football a noon Saturday here in Knoxvegas, I guess you could say this is Kensucky weekend. Here's hoping for a sweep by all three teams!!! :)

Last edited:
The Volleyballers kick off the weekend today at 7:00 in Lexington versus #3 Kentucky in the first of a two-game set, TV via SECNetwork. The second game is on Saturday evening at 7:00 with TV via SECNetwork+. A tough way to open the season, on the road against the #3 ranked team. Not sure what to expect, but I'll be watchin'. :)

The action continues Sunday afternoon with Soccer at 5:00, again in Lexington facing winless Kentucky (0-3-1), whose best result was a tie with Georgia in Athens. For comparison, our result from our recent trip to Athens was a one-goal loss. The match will be on ESPNU. It likely will be streamed also. Should be a good match.

Given we play Kentucky in football a noon Saturday here in Knoxvegas, I guess you could say this is Kensucky weekend. Here's hoping for a sweep by all three teams!!! :)
What are your thoughts on Eve's coaching and player mgt?

Well...that was ugly...I was worried about starting the season against a VERY good team like Kentucky. They made us look pretty bad. There were some bright spots...I like Rocky Perinar in the middle and Ava Bell showed up after an injury-plagued first season.
Lily didn't seem herself this first match but maybe Kentucky focused their defense on her more than in the past. You lose a hitter as good as Tessa Grubbs and defenses can focus on your second-best hitter from last season which was Lily.

The other thing that I saw that I didn't like was our lack of effective blocking. About half the time Kentucky was just blasting away with no blocks to worry about. Our setting was not very good either. I hope it'll be better tomorrow.

As to Addisyn Rowe, I think I heard the commentators say that she had elected not to play this season. No reason mentioned. I wonder what the story is?

Oh well, maybe we'll be better tomorrow. :)

dtmtn asked above (and I couldn't get the quote to work) What are your thoughts on Eve's coaching and player mgt?

Honestly, I'm really not qualified to comment on those topics beyond what I see on TV. Her coaching during games seems good...she seems to communicate with her team pretty well, but that's all I know is what I see on TV. Do I have questions about why we don't do some things, as well as other teams, do them? I do, but is it coaching or execution? Your guess is at least as good as mine. Player management? Again, I have no idea about that.

Since you asked the question I assume you have some thoughts on those topics. Feel free to share if you wish.

Memvol44,

This is year three of Eve's tenure and if it were a normal year I think we would be in a position to judge her performance over a reasonable time period. I'm getting a bit concerned with our progress and performance but I'll withhold any judgment until at least the end of this split season.

Reactions: Memvol44
Well...that was ugly...I was worried about starting the season against a VERY good team like Kentucky. They made us look pretty bad. There were some bright spots...I like Rocky Perinar in the middle and Ava Bell showed up after an injury-plagued first season.
Lily didn't seem herself this first match but maybe Kentucky focused their defense on her more than in the past. You lose a hitter as good as Tessa Grubbs and defenses can focus on your second-best hitter from last season which was Lily.

The other thing that I saw that I didn't like was our lack of effective blocking. About half the time Kentucky was just blasting away with no blocks to worry about. Our setting was not very good either. I hope it'll be better tomorrow.

As to Addisyn Rowe, I think I heard the commentators say that she had elected not to play this season. No reason mentioned. I wonder what the story is?

Oh well, maybe we'll be better tomorrow. :)[/Q

Oh well, maybe we'll be better tomorrow. :)
Announcers said Addisyn Rowe opted out of playing this season. I assume she didn't want to take the risk of playing during a pandemic. The NCAA gave the athletes in all sports the option of doing this. Whether she is eligible for a red-shirt next season I don't know. I think she was listed as a senior for this season so she may be finished with volleyball.

The energy and enthusiasm seemed to be missing. The program does not appear to be leveling up. I don’t know the toll that CO-VID and quarantine have impacted practice time, but I imagine it would be similar across the conference. I give credit to Brooks and Merrick. I thought those two freshmen brought some bounce and attack. Some of the players (and coaches) just seem listless.

I thought Rackham was standing there penning a sequel to War and Peace.
You'd think they don't have film to look at afterwards,having to write everything down. Little less jotting,little more in your face coaching!

Announcers said Addisyn Rowe opted out of playing this season. I assume she didn't want to take the risk of playing during a pandemic. The NCAA gave the athletes in all sports the option of doing this. Whether she is eligible for a red-shirt next season I don't know. I think she was listed as a senior for this season so she may be finished with volleyball.
I was thinking everyone can recoup this season regardless! I am sure it is difficult to have someone as good as AR to opt out when the head coach has to try to make up for a very good player from a roster of un knowns !

Reactions: StrangeVol
Watched tonight as well and we did show a little bit of fight and could or should have won the first 3 sets but only got one of them. Most everyone looked better and ky jelly did not look as good. I they are the 3rd best team in all the land then the land is down in my thinking.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Well, the second match was much better although we lost 1-3 we made Kentucky work for it today and that's a big improvement. We had 10 blocks tonight and 6 aces and very few (2 I think) service errors which were a constant problem for us last season. Danielle Mahaffey was really good with 17 kills hitting .250 the high for the team. Rocky Perinar, Ava Bell, and Morghan Fingall all had good outings as well. We did have too many attack errors and our setting was not good throughout the match. Our blocking was much improved which was a big plus. We did get spanked this weekend but I think we grew as a team. All things considered, I'm fairly happy. Just don't mention football...grrrrrrr

Reactions: sccshortstop
Watched tonight as well and we did show a little bit of fight and could or should have won the first 3 sets but only got one of them. Most everyone looked better and ky jelly did not look as good. I they are the 3rd best team in all the land then the land is down in my thinking.
Funny you should make this comment. The two best volleyball conferences in the country, the Pac-12 and Big 10 don't start playing until the spring season in January because their respective conferences got a late start on the season because of the pandemic. When these conferences come into play the top ten will look completely different, with the likes of Stanford, Nebraska , Minnesota and Illinois all entering play. None of these powerful teams are listed currently in the top ten simply because they aren't playing. No doubt Kentucky
and Florida's rankings will drop accordingly.

Funny you should make this comment. The two best volleyball conferences in the country, the Pac-12 and Big 10 don't start playing until the spring season in January because their respective conferences got a late start on the season because of the pandemic. When these conferences come into play the top ten will look completely different, with the likes of Stanford, Nebraska , Minnesota and Illinois all entering play. None of these powerful teams are listed currently in the top ten simply because they aren't playing. No doubt Kentucky
Never said they would be the 3rd best next year but as of now that is their rankings! Glad you decided to bless us with your knowledge if you will!

VN Store

Back