Lady Vols Soccer and Volleyball get ready for the beginning of SEC play

StrangeVol

The Soccer Vols plunge into the SEC wars this Sunday at Vanderbilt, a formidable opponent. The match is at 5:00 p.m. with TV coverage by SECnetwork+ I imagine. Prior to that, we have a quality tune-up match tomorrow (Wed) with UC Davis at 7:00 p.m. within the friendly confines of Regal Soccer Stadium. The TV coverage is again with SECNetwork+. It's really great to be back on TV where many of us can watch the team perform. :)

Volleyball Has a very full slate this weekend with an invitational tournament featuring in addition to the Lady Vols, teams from ETSU, Georgia Southern and North Dakota State. The first match with ETSU gets underway Friday at 6:30 p.m. On Saturday there are matches between the Lady Vols and Georgia Southern at 12:30 p.m. and at 7:30 we take on N Dakota State. So pretty much Volleyball all evening Friday and all day Saturday. :) There is no word about TV coverage for the matches but I imagine there will be some coverage of the Lady Vols matches at least.

A week from this coming Friday the Lady Vols travel to Ole Miss to kick off their SEC season.

I find it interesting that football, Soccer, and Volleyball all open their SEC seasons on the road. Makes one wonder a bit about scheduling bias especially since both Soccer and Volleyball both finished last season near the top of the SEC. I thought doing well in your respective sport earned you some consideration. Apparently not. :(

The Soccer Vols plunge into the SEC wars this Sunday at Vanderbilt, a formidable opponent. The match is at 5:00 p.m. with TV coverage by SECnetwork+ I imagine. Prior to that, we have a quality tune-up match tomorrow (Wed) with UC Davis at 7:00 p.m. within the friendly confines of Regal Soccer Stadium. The TV coverage is again with SECNetwork+. It's really great to be back on TV where many of us can watch the team perform. :)

Volleyball Has a very full slate this weekend with an invitational tournament featuring in addition to the Lady Vols, teams from ETSU, Georgia Southern and North Dakota State. The first match with ETSU gets underway Friday at 6:30 p.m. On Saturday there are matches between the Lady Vols and Georgia Southern at 12:30 p.m. and at 7:30 we take on N Dakota State. So pretty much Volleyball all evening Friday and all day Saturday. :) There is no word about TV coverage for the matches but I imagine there will be some coverage of the Lady Vols matches at least.

A week from this coming Friday the Lady Vols travel to Ole Miss to kick off their SEC season.

I find it interesting that football, Soccer, and Volleyball all open their SEC seasons on the road. Makes one wonder a bit about scheduling bias especially since both Soccer and Volleyball both finished last season near the top of the SEC. I thought doing well in your respective sport earned you some consideration. Apparently not. :(
Is the SEC schedules not set in advance?

Is the SEC schedules not set in advance?

to be honest, I don't know for sure but I am under the impression that they are put together during the off-season for the year following. I know football is different, but then football is football...

Oh...and congratulations to the football team for winning over UTC!

well, guess it's about time to start playing our best...shake up the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MAD and StrangeVol
Lady Vols win 1 - nil, in a pretty lackluster performance. Credit to UC Davis and their new head coach. , They played very effective defense for the first 84 minutes until MA Vignola hit a left-footed goal from just outside the 18-yard box. I was out with friends for dinner so I missed the first half, but what I saw during the second half leads me to believe the Lady Vols are not all on the same page offensively. The biggest problem area that I could see was at midfield as it appeared to me that our midfielders were not working together very effectively. That aspect of our offense needs to improve dramatically before we hit Nashville on Sunday.

Reactions: MAD
Lady Vols win 1 - nil, in a pretty lackluster performance. Credit to UC Davis and their new head coach. , They played very effective defense for the first 84 minutes until MA Vignola hit a left-footed goal from just outside the 18-yard box. I was out with friends for dinner so I missed the first half, but what I saw during the second half leads me to believe the Lady Vols are not all on the same page offensively. The biggest problem area that I could see was at midfield as it appeared to me that our midfielders were not working together very effectively. That aspect of our offense needs to improve dramatically before we hit Nashville on Sunday.
I watched the game and you are right on!! UCD was giving us all we wanted and more the whole game. We still are not smooth with the ball and on the offensive end a cluster****. Crazy shots with no chance of scoring and many others that we should have scored on. We need to get better for Vandy or it will be a long sunday. JMHO as always! SCCSS

Reactions: StrangeVol and MAD
I watched the game and you are right on!! UCD was giving us all we wanted and more the whole game. We still are not smooth with the ball and on the offensive end a cluster****. Crazy shots with no chance of scoring and many others that we should have scored on. We need to get better for Vandy or it will be a long sunday. JMHO as always! SCCSS

I think the shots you referenced are in many cases born of frustration. No other players in position for a pass so what else is there but to give it the boot. I think we lack a leader that demands everyone get to their spots and make themselves available for a pass. Last year Bunny gave us that. We don't have that this year even though MA is trying desperately to get goals, sometimes she overdoes her heroics and shoots when she should pass or play to improve her position for a shot. Can't really blame her as she is not getting much help. Our girls need to take it upon themselves to play "connected" Soccer and cut way down on the freelancing, imo.

I think the shots you referenced are in many cases born of frustration. No other players in position for a pass so what else is there but to give it the boot. I think we lack a leader that demands everyone get to their spots and make themselves available for a pass. Last year Bunny gave us that. We don't have that this year even though MA is trying desperately to get goals, sometimes she overdoes her heroics and shoots when she should pass or play to improve her position for a shot. Can't really blame her as she is not getting much help. Our girls need to take it upon themselves to play "connected" Soccer and cut way down on the freelancing, imo.
Yep and I guess if you strike enough it finally will go in but last night was the exception. MA hit a bullet that goalkeeper had no chance in getting. I see now that she is a multi foot shooter even though the left is more lethal I think. Young team and we will struggle with the biggies. It seems that the red shirt goalie has taken over unless the freshman is hurt. I am surprised at that if it is for real because I like a taller goal keeper if all else is equal.

VN Store

Back