Lady Vols Recruiting Info

I think the recruiting is really falling off for Tennessee. We used to get top five players every year and they were all committed and signed by November. Recruiting is always a coaches downfall and Holly seems to be heading down the hill the wrong way. Looking at 2015 we don't have any post players looking at us very hard so it looks like if we lose DeShields and Cooper were heading close to the end of the top ten. SC, UConn, UCLA, Texas, Notre Dame, and Duke are out recruiting us. I think we have to look as some different Assistant's that can get top players if were gonna remain a top team. After next season we have Russell and Graves in the post. I know we can still get Brown and others but were quickly getting shutout in the 2015 class.

Blue Star Basketball » Class of 2014….. College Recruiting Class Rankings

Number ten in 2014 we needed to rebound with a top three class just isn't happening unless we get transfer DeShields.

Last edited:
The 2015 class is also starting to thin out. With #1 Samuelson's commitment to UConn that leaves just 4 top 10 players uncommitted.

I think Durr is the only one of the top 10 left with Tennessee on her list of schools. UConn may be on their way to their greatest recruiting class in years. They are also in the hunt for Durr although I doubt she will choose them.

The 2015 class is also starting to thin out. With #1 Samuelson's commitment to UConn that leaves just 4 top 10 players uncommitted.

I think Durr is the only one of the top 10 left with Tennessee on her list of schools. UConn may be on their way to their greatest recruiting class in years. They are also in the hunt for Durr although I doubt she will choose them.

Durr, Cooper, and Brown are all consensus Top 10 recruits, and are all very high on Tennessee. ESPN is the only service, that I've seen, that doesn't have Cooper in their Top 5.

Reactions: 3 people
This isn't a great class for post players. However, to say Pat always got top 5 players is incorrect. She made good players into great players a lot of the time. I don't think Holly came to Tennessee to play basketball originally and she ended up an All American. What I am surprised at is this staff isn't better recruiters. Also, Muffet doesn't apparently recruit as well as Luigi but she beats him pretty regularly.

We could really use Brown. Also, I think Nared is much better than her ratings. I think she is a one or two. She really impressed me in All-Star game. Very fluid and effortless player.

Last edited:
This isn't a great class for post players. However, to say Pat always got top 5 players is incorrect. She made good players into great players a lot of the time. I don't think Holly came to Tennessee to play basketball originally and she ended up an All American. What I am surprised at is this staff isn't better recruiters. Also, Muffet doesn't apparently recruit as well as Luigi but she beats him pretty regularly.

She proved she was an excellent coach by winning a LOT with decent but not great talent--including a national title. Now, as a serious contender, she seems to be getting good talent consistently--certainly better talent than ND had, say, eight years ago.

As for Warlick, I think she has recruited fairly well, all things considered. I think the staff recruits pretty well. I think the issue with this staff is coaching.

But here's the thing: UT has been pushing its luck. Recruiting ultimately is about winning--and about showing the top recruits that you are a big dog who contends for national titles. We haven't been a big dog for a while, haven't been to the Final Four in, what, six or more years--seven? The current generation of young players aged, say, 10 to 17 does not know UT as a great program. I felt like really needed to get to the Final Four two years ago and/or last year. Couldn't do it (had an easy road two years ago). Now we are getting up against it: Time out of the spotlight has been slowly eating away at our stature. We should have a formidable team this year, and Warlick badly needs to show the nation this year that we remain a premier program. Recruiting depends on it.

I was talking about in the last 30 years when we won most of our titles. She got Holdsclaw certainly the number one player of that era and Catchings 1a and won three titles. Then there was the best player of another era Parker and two titles. I realize that Holly signed a number one player in Russell but she didn't really use her right last season and hopefully she will show a lot more this season after getting stronger and having the playing experience of last season.

I do admit that other than ESPN rankings Me Me Jackson is a top ten player. I think were alright on the perimeter we need more post players. If in the next class I see Robinson, Diamond, Durr, Cooper, and Brown I would definitely feel a lot better. I think with that group and who we have now we could play with anybody in the nation.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually UCLA won 2014 but it looks like UConn wins 2015. If we get Diamond in a transfer and Asia Durr, Cooper,Robinson, and Brown that would be equal to what UConn has coming in that year.

Durr is number one player on Blue Star, Samuelson is number two, the tiebreaker is Prospects Nation with Durr being number one again. Seems a lot rides on Tennessee getting Durr, Cooper, and DeShields.

She proved she was an excellent coach by winning a LOT with decent but not great talent--including a national title. Now, as a serious contender, she seems to be getting good talent consistently--certainly better talent than ND had, say, eight years ago.

As for Warlick, I think she has recruited fairly well, all things considered. I think the staff recruits pretty well. I think the issue with this staff is coaching.

But here's the thing: UT has been pushing its luck. Recruiting ultimately is about winning--and about showing the top recruits that you are a big dog who contends for national titles. We haven't been a big dog for a while, haven't been to the Final Four in, what, six or more years--seven? The current generation of young players aged, say, 10 to 17 does not know UT as a great program. I felt like really needed to get to the Final Four two years ago and/or last year. Couldn't do it (had an easy road two years ago). Now we are getting up against it: Time out of the spotlight has been slowly eating away at our stature. We should have a formidable team this year, and Warlick badly needs to show the nation this year that we remain a premier program. Recruiting depends on it.

Holly has to prove she can coach without riding on Pat's coat tails. It was somewhat inevitable that we drop out of the top tier with Pat retiring. It's up to Holly to get us back there. Every coach has to coach their way into the big dogs' circle.

Durr is number one player on Blue Star, Samuelson is number two, the tiebreaker is Prospects Nation with Durr being number one again. Seems a lot rides on Tennessee getting Durr, Cooper, and DeShields.

I think your last sentence is dead on. By transferring DeShields became the biggest potential opportunity, yet the biggest nightmare for Holly.

This may be dramatic but if DeShields chooses South Carolina you can go ahead and forget about it until 2019 and Tennessee should prepare for the post-Holly Warlick era. She is that much better a player than anybody in the SEC right now.

I thought Holly did a really good job coaching right up through the SEC tournament this year. After that sec tournament win the team had a big psychological let down. Great coaches manage their team psychology well. Holly hasn't figured that out yet.

I think your last sentence is dead on. By transferring DeShields became the biggest potential opportunity, yet the biggest nightmare for Holly.

This may be dramatic but if DeShields chooses South Carolina you can go ahead and forget about it until 2019 and Tennessee should prepare for the post-Holly Warlick era. She is that much better a player than anybody in the SEC right now.

With Coates, White, Wilson, DeShields, Cuevas and (presumably, if DD goes there) Cooper, they could potentially be as good if not better than UConn.

I'll say it again the coaches stopped looking at player rankings...they now recruit players who have heart, guts, and hate losing!! They got tired of trying to instill that into a team you either have it or you don't!

I'll say it again the coaches stopped looking at player rankings...they now recruit players who have heart, guts, and hate losing!! They got tired of trying to instill that into a team you either have it or you don't!

When did that start?

UConn is out recruiting everyone, and it's not even close.
Yea, but im talking about about what a 5 year maybe more period you look at their recruiting and look at ours and it doesn't even come close, yes we struck gold last year or what not and hauled in the class we did, UCLA is hauling in a good class, dook doing fairly well,, Texas etc, but look at our recruiting now and what UConn has done and keep doing. Only team i say that comes nearly close to UConn is Notre Dame. Our fan bases may not like hearing it as well as the other teams fans, but it is time to call them out and hit the recruiting trail a little more harder, im not a recruiter nor an expert , but im tired of seeing every recruit commit to UConn. If they are hitting it hard we need to hit it hard as well.

VN Store

Back