Lady Vols offense

The Gapper

Still amazed and disgusted at the offense of our women. They still refuse to feed the ball inside and continue taking wild jump shots from outside. I thought Coach Harper would have corrected this.

I personally like the patience they showed yesterday at not feeding the ball inside when there was no one to feed it to or that it would've been a very dangerous pass. If teams want to slump in a zone and double post players the perimeter players will need to learn to hit open shots and drive for shots in the paint. Our post players were not doing very well in getting in position for the pass. On the very first play of the game Key missed a pass that was perfectly thrown by Horston because she wasn't paying attention. If anything should be disgusting about the game at all since it was a win and hard to be disgusted. I would say missing 11 free throw attempts and allowing 23 offensive rebounds would top the list.

I personally like the patience they showed yesterday at not feeding the ball inside when there was no one to feed it to or that it would've been a very dangerous pass. If teams want to slump in a zone and double post players the perimeter players will need to learn to hit open shots and drive for shots in the paint. Our post players were not doing very well in getting in position for the pass. On the very first play of the game Key missed a pass that was perfectly thrown by Horston because she wasn't paying attention. If anything should be disgusting about the game at all since it was a win and hard to be disgusted. I would say missing 11 free throw attempts and allowing 23 offensive rebounds would top the list.
Agree so much!
it was VERY evident that LSU game plan was to push out our post and they did that with the zone. Rarely did our post post up on the rim. They were posting up about 6-10 feet away from basket.
2) Key is undersized (bulk wise). she struggles against bulkier post. Key is tall and long just not built that way (bulk). Kasi on the other hand is and is able to push back more but she didn’t get the minutes. McCoy was very flexible in the post and showed some really good signs
3) Kellie and team adjusted to the zone with running Davis on the baseline and having the post (key/McCoy) screen for her. It obviously worked because she got to the line 8 times and scored 30 points for us.
4) rebounding was atrocious

To the original poster. Sometimes you have to take what the defense is giving us. They played a sunken zone on us. I thought our game plan of not trying to post up and sink hook shots over a double team was a smart idea.

Still amazed and disgusted at the offense of our women. They still refuse to feed the ball inside and continue taking wild jump shots from outside. I thought Coach Harper would have corrected this.
Kellie just got here. She's trying to break them of bad habits with passing the ball. They're also working on movement and spacing to get posts open under the basket.

I wonder how much EFFORT is put in practicing free throws. It doesn't appear like very much.

Reactions: djtee
I wonder how much EFFORT is put in practicing free throws. It doesn't appear like very much.
Actually a lot of effort which is all bad because they are practicing with some players using bad form. Their form needs to be corrected probably need a coach to correct their form and then do it numerous times from there.

I really don’t know how much time in season they have to practice shooting free throws but it is something they definitely need to work on during the off season.

I really don’t know how much time in season they have to practice shooting free throws but it is something they definitely need to work on during the off season.
Coach said the other day interview that they take an hour to allow player just to shoot. The problem with that is developing shooting form. You can shoot all you want to and if the form is bad the percentage is going to be low.

Coach said the other day interview that they take an hour to allow player just to shoot. The problem with that is developing shooting form. You can shoot all you want to and if the form is bad the percentage is going to be low.
I wonder if that is like pregame where they just shoot around warming up or like you mentioned if someone is working with them on their form.
As I understand it, players are limited to 20 hours each week to practice/game. Each game counts as three hours, and no more than 4 hours in a day.

Probably not much - Kellie probably got tired and just wanted to go home and put her feet up.

This is total sarcasm - I swear I thought football boards were bad, but the Lady Vols section actually wins the "hate everything award". I am SO pleased to see our team progress this year and every week they are getting better - yes, yesterday free throw percentage was bad and I was screaming at TV, but never ONCE did I think it was lack of EFFORT - they are playing their tails off and you can tell they are enjoying themselves this year - such a welcome change.

Probably not much - Kellie probably got tired and just wanted to go home and put her feet up.

This is total sarcasm - I swear I thought football boards were bad, but the Lady Vols section actually wins the "hate everything award". I am SO pleased to see our team progress this year and every week they are getting better - yes, yesterday free throw percentage was bad and I was screaming at TV, but never ONCE did I think it was lack of EFFORT - they are playing their tails off and you can tell they are enjoying themselves this year - such a welcome change.
Welcome to the fray! I spend alot of keyboard strokes fighting the frankly dumbass assertion that bad play is the result of laziness, lack of comprehension, and/or intentional naughty behavior, all of which could be easily cured if the coach would only be mean, adopt the Pat stare, make em run til they drop, etc.

I think we're just looking for easy fixes which is our option as fans. Understandable. But my argument is that even if these kids didn't give a fig about the Tennessee Lady Vols, they sure as heck personally don't want to go out in front of 10.000 fans and a tv audience and look bad. Pretty sure ample athlete ego is involved to prevent that.

Fortunately, actual coaches figured all this out long ago. They know the fix is the long haul, teaching, training, rinse, repeat. Not all kids will make it, some just aren't skilled enough. But it's not because they're naughty little brats.

No doubt, the enjoyment level, both theirs and mine, has skyrocketed this year. A major accomplishment for the new staff.

I wonder if that is like pregame where they just shoot around warming up or like you mentioned if someone is working with them on their form.
As I understand it, players are limited to 20 hours each week to practice/game. Each game counts as three hours, and no more than 4 hours in a day.
That i do not know but she says they shorten practice by an hour and just have shooting the ball. I hope they are practicing form as well as volume shooting. From what I saw yesterday they are not. Rennia should be the teacher over 80 percent for the season.

Reactions: Raebo
Trying to force the ball inside is what LSU did several times late in the game. The result was turnovers by LSU and the security of a Lady Vols win. Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives. Honestly, it seems to me that UT doesn't have the best hands amongst their girls with height.

Reactions: VolBall09
Trying to force the ball inside is what LSU did several times late in the game. The result was turnovers by LSU and the security of a Lady Vols win. Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives. Honestly, it seems to me that UT doesn't have the best hands amongst their girls with height.
It is also what Holly tried, unsuccessfully, to do all the time. We miss our injured player a lot.

Makes no sense to force the ball inside to someone who isn’t ready to receive it. Our interior game has a long way to go before we can play inside out like we’d like to.

That i do not know but she says they shorten practice by an hour and just have shooting the ball. I hope they are practicing form as well as volume shooting. From what I saw yesterday they are not. Rennia should be the teacher over 80 percent for the season.

well considering they are 6-1 in the sec and currently 2nd place, this seems like a good place for the team to be considering they were predicted to finish 6th. the turnovers, and inconsistent offense seem to be the biggest hurdles holding this team back. they could have built a sizable lead against uconn in the first half and possible held off their big second half defensive adjustment if not for all those unforced turnovers in the 1st half.

this team seems to still be trending in the right direction. obviously the sec will come down to how well they play against usc, state and a and m, but they are still in the drivers seat and can win the sec

3 intense emotional games in one week. Not a deep team in terms of who is ready to play these types of games while all the while still correcting bad habits. There was a reason we were not ranked preseason. Great job Ladies great job coaching staff in such a tough week.

You have to consider how the Lady Vols are being defended. LSU used a collapsing defense to control the paint. When two players are defending the post it is difficult to consistently get points in the paint. When that happens you have to take shots from the elbow, or further out. You also have to dribble drive in hopes that the collapsing defense come out and try to defend the dribble drive. When that happens the driving player has several options, continue to drive toward the basket, feed the ball to the post or to another player in the clear. Now, if you have the luxury whereby the other team’s post players are in foul trouble then you have more of a chance of exploiting their post defense. Just because you are the taller team, does not necessarily mean that you can beat the other team by constantly feeding your post. The thing I like about this team’s offense is the Lady Vols have a better outside shooting game than they have had.

You have to consider how the Lady Vols are being defended. LSU used a collapsing defense to control the paint. When two players are defending the post it is difficult to consistently get points in the paint. When that happens you have to take shots from the elbow, or further out. You also have to dribble drive in hopes that the collapsing defense come out and try to defend the dribble drive. When that happens the driving player has several options, continue to drive toward the basket, feed the ball to the post or to another player in the clear. Now, if you have the luxury whereby the other team’s post players are in foul trouble then you have more of a chance of exploiting their post defense. Just because you are the taller team, does not necessarily mean that you can beat the other team by constantly feeding your post. The thing I like about this team’s offense is the Lady Vols have a better outside shooting game than they have had.
I agree. The way you soften up a zone is by hitting outside and mid range jump shots, drive and dish or kick back out and sharp crisp passes, not so much by dribbling.

Reactions: madtownvol
I agree. The way you soften up a zone is by hitting outside and mid range jump shots, drive and dish or kick back out and sharp crisp passes, not so much by dribbling.

you've been paying attention to the right influences.
During warmups I saw TK shooting one step out from the low block.

There are three areas that I train my kids to attack when against a 3-2
  1. Cutting to the logo section of the mid-high paint and stopping for a catch>pivot>shoot or pass
  2. One step out from the low block (We practice shooting the "Dominique Wilkin's bank-shot from here)
  3. the arc
The reason, is that those three areas of the zone,, the defense has think about who's spot is it?
When you get in the middle you create confusion of who's man, because you are everybody's man
when you're at the one-step out area you could be any of 3 of the defender's responsibilities
and the arc extends the defense so they can't pack the zone

Well if they were playing their tails off with all those turnovers then someone is not doing their job. Trying to freeze the ball with almost 4 minutes resulting in 3 deep three's that never come close and a charge. That is not going to work most of the time

you've been paying attention to the right influences.
During warmups I saw TK shooting one step out from the low block.

There are three areas that I train my kids to attack when against a 3-2
  1. Cutting to the logo section of the mid-high paint and stopping for a catch>pivot>shoot or pass
  2. One step out from the low block (We practice shooting the "Dominique Wilkin's bank-shot from here)
  3. the arc
The reason, is that those three areas of the zone,, the defense has think about who's spot is it?
When you get in the middle you create confusion of who's man, because you are everybody's man
when you're at the one-step out area you could be any of 3 of the defender's responsibilities
and the arc extends the defense so they can't pack the zone
Indeed I have. Mainly my old high school coach from many years ago.

Spinning the ball to alter trajectory to targeted receiving area away from tight post defender is a useful art. Of course the post must be alert and turn to the ball. Just takes a little practice.

VN Store

Back