Lady Vols' Last 4 Years Under Holly Warlick

10cpride

Everything Orange
This is a trend that can not be ignored. In the last four years, our Lady Vols basketball teams are losing more games in SEC play than we have ever lost since the 1980s (just check the stats). Many "negative" records have
been made in the last two years. Now we all know the ratings of our recruiting classes during this four year stretch so it can not be the talent within the rosters. The common denominator that stands out is our coaches are unable to develop and coach these young ladies to play at the next higher level, that being NCAA Div 1 basketball. This Program use to be on top of all women's basketball, not just in the SEC. This distention took years to build and maintain and then to see our "powers to be" unwillingly to take the positive action necessary to save it from a total rebuild is not acceptable.

A change in coaching is needed more now than ever.

2018-19 Season (So far)
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick
Record: 17-9 (6-7 SEC)

2017-18 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick
Record: 25-8 (11-5 SEC)

2016-17 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick
Record: 20-12 (10-6 SEC)

2015-16 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick
Record: 22-14 (8-8 SEC)

Last edited:
This is a trend that can not be ignored. In the last four years, our Lady Vols basketball teams are losing more games in SEC play than we have ever lost since the 1980s (just check the stats). Many "negative" records have
been made in the last two years. Now we all know the ratings of our recruiting classes during this four year stretch so it can not be the talent within the rosters. The common denominator that stands out is our coaches are unable to develop and coach these young ladies to play at the next higher level, that being NCAA Div 1 basketball. This Program use to be on top of all women's basketball, not just in the SEC. This distention took years to build and maintain and then to see our "powers to be" unwillingly to take the positive action necessary to save it from a total rebuild is not acceptable.

2018-19 Season (So far)
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

2017-18 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

2016-17 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

2015-16 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

Coaching not the talent is the issue and this is just another example of why this assessment is correct. Anyone watching a Lady Volunteers game quickly comes to the conclusion that Holly and staff do not have a offensive or defensive plan that they stay with - it's pathetic and you don't have to be a basketball expert to see it.
I've wondered for a number of years now why Pat would select Holly as her replacement? Pat's illness came on quickly to the public eye but I believe she was having issues long before we as fans were aware of it and then after it was announced she deteriorated rather quickly. After her announcement it became apparent that she was struggling and Holly was a big help to her, having said that I believe that as her health failed that it became much easier for Holly to convince Pat and the decision makers to let her assume Pats role as head coach....BIG MISTAKE!
I watched Pat Summit over her entire career, it is my opinion that Pat knew several things including the fact it would be hard on anyone to replace her and also she knew exactly what kind of coach Holly actually was and that she had no chance of being the coach that Tennessee needed or would require to maintain the high standards that had be established in her long and outstanding career, there's no way that Pat in good health would have thought Holly was the right replacement for her. Right or wrong Holly has had her shot it's time now for Fulmer and the other decision makers to provide a Holly a honorable way out as head coach, she has given her all to forTennessee for a long time and I would hope she would have a position with the department that would be a well earned reward for her contributions. She was a hell of player, a big help to Coach Summit and a very loyal supporter of the University but truth is she not the person for the Head Coaching position and never will be, I would be shocked if let go that she would have any offers to be a Head Coach for another university. One more time: Holly couldn't coach her way out of a paper bag......it's time to go. Right?

You won’t get the Holly apologists to display anything even remotely open minded. She is a VFL and recruits well. Nothing else matters in their minds, especially results.

Reactions: vettefool
Coaching not the talent is the issue and this is just another example of why this assessment is correct. Anyone watching a Lady Volunteers game quickly comes to the conclusion that Holly and staff do not have a offensive or defensive plan that they stay with - it's pathetic and you don't have to be a basketball expert to see it.
I've wondered for a number of years now why Pat would select Holly as her replacement? Pat's illness came on quickly to the public eye but I believe she was having issues long before we as fans were aware of it and then after it was announced she deteriorated rather quickly. After her announcement it became apparent that she was struggling and Holly was a big help to her, having said that I believe that as her health failed that it became much easier for Holly to convince Pat and the decision makers to let her assume Pats role as head coach....BIG MISTAKE!
I watched Pat Summit over her entire career, it is my opinion that Pat knew several things including the fact it would be hard on anyone to replace her and also she knew exactly what kind of coach Holly actually was and that she had no chance of being the coach that Tennessee needed or would require to maintain the high standards that had be established in her long and outstanding career, there's no way that Pat in good health would have thought Holly was the right replacement for her. Right or wrong Holly has had her shot it's time now for Fulmer and the other decision makers to provide a Holly a honorable way out as head coach, she has given her all to forTennessee for a long time and I would hope she would have a position with the department that would be a well earned reward for her contributions. She was a hell of player, a big help to Coach Summit and a very loyal supporter of the University but truth is she not the person for the Head Coaching position and never will be, I would be shocked if let go that she would have any offers to be a Head Coach for another university. One more time: Holly couldn't coach her way out of a paper bag......it's time to go. Right?

Pat would was a fierce competitor
It would be hard on anyone to "take her place"
Someone has already replaced her
Now we need someone who has the nerve to displace her

Respectfully, balderdash. The least surprising decision in history was Holly to replace Pat. The shock would be if anyone else was chosen IMO. Let's see, the Knoxville native, former LV great, and lifelong loyal wingman. Captain Obvious.

Pat loved Holly and certainly loved the program she created and never in a million years would have put either in a position to fall this hard and fast. I think she had every reason to think Holly would succeed, as did we all. How do you get better prepared than Holly seemed to be?

Unfortunately, IMO the things that have brought Holly down are coaching intangibles that no one could have foreseen. Until she ran her own program, no one could have known she was utterly incapable of controlling her teams' headspace, incapable of having them focused and locked in to a game plan, and incapable of stemming the tide of oncourt meltdowns.

Yeah there's the Ms. Nice Guy stuff, we all knew that was her role, but I don't think anyone could have imagined the unfortunate series of events and personalities that have caused this sad and sorry mess.

Last edited:
Respectfully, balderdash. The least surprising decision in history was Holly to replace Pat. The shock would be if anyone else was chosen IMO. Let's see, the Knoxville native, former LV great, and lifelong loyal wingman. Captain Obvious.

Pat loved Holly and certainly loved the program she created and never in a million years would have put either in a position to fall this hard and fast. I think she had every reason to think Holly would succeed, as did we all. How do you get better prepared than Holly seemed to be?

Unfortunately, IMO the things that have brought Holly down are coaching intangibles that no one could have foreseen. Until she ran her own program, no one could have known she was utterly incapable of controlling her teams' headspace, incapable of having them focused and locked in to a game plan, and incapable of stemming the tide of oncourt meltdowns.

Yeah there's the Ms. Nice Guy stuff, we all knew that was her role, but I don't think anyone could have imagined the unfortunate series of events and personalities that have caused this sad and sorry mess.
SPOT ON, thx!

Reactions: spoton

Holly was always a terrible assistant and poor choice. LV politics is all that secured the position for her. Anyone with sense could see she was always weak.

Reactions: spoton and jim43
warlick could be the Lady Vols head coach for 20-30 years and never win a national championship.

even ray charles could see that. if that is ok with the UT admin then keep her for that long.

If Pat Summitt was the AD, What would Pat Do?

She would have found a way to show her the door about 4 years ago. Let her keep her dignity before it got to this.

Holly would have gotten her chance and it would have been on a little bit longer rope but no more than 5 years.

Again, we have never had to deal with this type of craziness all at the same time or since Dickey departed. Football, basketball men's and women's and baseball coaches resulted in a lot of chaos in the AD.

2018-19 Season (So far)
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

2017-18 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

2016-17 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

2015-16 Season
Head Coach:
Holly Warlick

"We can tell"

First time poster here. I got booted off another message board because the posters did not like what I was posting. But I want to be clear: Pat did not choose Holly. Dave Hart chose Holly. In a meeting with Hart, he fired Pat, pure and simple. Pat was devastated because she requested one more year so that she could have one year with Tyler by her side as a grad assistant. It had always been their dream to one day coach together. The plan was for him to be the grad assistant and then go on to another university as an assistant and learn the craft. Hart denied her request and told her that Holly would be the new coach.

Hart knew that Holly would come very cheap (and remember the financial woes at that time) and he knew that Pat could not object to her loyal long-time assistant and the fan base would embrace Holly, thinking that she was Pat's choice.

The reality is in 2008 I had a lengthy conversation with a relative of Pat's and one of her best friends while we were at the tournament. We were having dinner and the family member told me that Pat was not in good health. He was not referring to dementia--at that time no one had any idea that she would have that horrible disease--but he was referring to her horrible rheumatoid arthritis. He told me that she knew she had limited years left to coach because the pain was horrible and flying exacerbated the pain. She was therefore making plans for her future retirement. I was told that she wanted to coach at least until Tyler could be a grad assistant so that they could coach together. She had definite ideas about whom she wanted to succeed her and it was not Holly. She did want Holly to be able to continue to be an assistant if at all possible, but Holly was not her choice to succeed her--at least in 2008. I did not want at that time to even dare to think that Pat would retire any time soon, but her family member told me to accept the fact that Pat's health would dictate an earlier retirement than what she wanted. At that time she still felt she could win ten national championships and turn the program over to the next coach. Of course, at that time no one knew that she would get this horrible disease.

At the end of the season and after winning her last national championship, Pat encouraged Caldwell to take the head coaching position at UCLA and to get much needed experience as a head coach. Unfortunately for Pat, she then turned over recruiting to Holly entirely. Caldwell had been her chief recruiter and evaluator of talent, but Pat had also been involved. Now because of her illness and reluctance to fly more than she had done previously, Holly had the reigns. One of the knocks on Holly from former lady vols who have spoken to me is that Holly is terrible at evaluating talent. They told me that UT missed out on some great prospects because Holly did not think that they were good enough. Instead, I do not think that Holly chose wisely and we all know that Pat did not get to another final four. Some of this may have been her dementia that probably was in effect long before the diagnosis, but others have maintained that Pat did not have the right players in her latter years.

I have had the honor to know many former Lady Vols and to know Pat's good friends. I know that as a new poster I have little credibility here, but I think it is important to set the record straight about Holly. In 2008 Holly was not Pat's choice. She loved Holly, but if you ask any former player, she will tell you in crunch time, she did not turn to Holly for answers. In fact, several lady vols were aghast that Holly was going to be the coach who succeeded Pat. They loved her but they recognized her limitations. I honestly felt that she deserved the opportunity, but I was wrong. This program is on the decline for sure and Holly does not have a clue on how to right the ship.

And for the record, Holly was not a good recruiter. The reason she has recruited well now is her assistant who replaced Kyra Elzy. Even so, I question that Holly has chosen well.

Wow, thanks alot for the info. We've been told about the Hart episode before but never in this detail. Well hell, this makes it even worse! If it was a cluster from the get go why the hell are we STILL doing it, almost a decade later!

I think it comforted alot of us to think this was Pat's choice. Damn Hart firing her and denying her the way she wanted to go out is too infuriating to even process. Can the Lady Vols current story get much sadder?

One thing I wonder about though, if Holly is misevaluating talent so must the rating services be because she's getting, on paper, great classes. Don't ask me to explain it, but top ranked kids are continuing to come here, hello Horston. (Of course what happens to them after they get here is another story but don't tell JH}. Is it Elzy's replacement who's snagging them, in spite of HW's misevals?

Reactions: BreatheUT and VFL17
We get it as fans, but the AD and Tennessee people with power seem to have no clue. It gives you the total impression that they care little about Tennessee Lady Vol basketball. Actually it is obvious or they would've reacted and made a change way before now.

We get it as fans, but the AD and Tennessee people with power seem to have no clue. It gives you the total impression that they care little about Tennessee Lady Vol basketball. Actually it is obvious or they would've reacted and made a change way before now.
Quite opposite. They are appeasing the Lady Vol mafia.

One thing I wonder about though, if Holly is misevaluating talent so must the rating services be because she's getting, on paper, great classes. Don't ask me to explain it, but top ranked kids are continuing to come here, hello Horston. (Of course what happens to them after they get here is another story but don't tell JH}. Is it Elzy's replacement who's snagging them, in spite of HW's misevals?

They are great high school players that would likely become great college players under a capable coach's tutelage. It's not that Holly or the recruiting services got it wrong with their evaluation. But it's clear that they will not develop under Holly's coaching.

Horston will not be a difference maker, unless she's so good that she's already at a WBCA All American level before she steps on campus.

Staunch Holly supporters couldn't see it because of blind loyalty. I saw it the year Holly coached with Pat still on the bench. Holly was the head coach that year regardless if we want to give her the benefit of the doubt of being a 7 year head coach instead of an 8 year head coach. Many who supported the decision to hire her thought she would improve and her mistakes had more to do with being a freshman head coach. Personally, I saw a coach who was petty and let pettiness affect her decision making. She is nice but doesn't have it between the ears. Maybe she thinks the players on the court can't adjust to in game plan adjustments. I don't know.

Holly has risen to the level of her incompetence. IMO there should be no shame in that. In a perfect world, one void of pride, I would love to retain Holly as an assistant.

In the real world, a clean break is what is needed. We need a new HC and completely new staff to get the culture where it needs to be.

After this game it will be mathematically impossible for this team to finish better than .500 in the SEC. That’s just astounding ineptitude.

After this game it will be mathematically impossible for this team to finish better than .500 in the SEC. That’s just astounding ineptitude.
Not in the regular season, but I do believe conference tournament results are included in overall conference record.

Even if they do lose, they can't lose track of the prize against Vandy (looked good vs
MSST aside from the TOs) and/or Ole Miss.

VN Store

Back