Lady Vols Go Into South Bend and Beat ND

Glad to see well-coached teams in all phases of Tennessee Athletics again. I finally feel good about where the Men's and Women's basketball programs as well as the Football program is heading.

Still too early to tell but they seemed to play like a team, played hard on defense and looked like the Lady Vols should look. The coach looked and acted like a female head coach. Her pressers are informative, she seems to know what she is trying to do, and more importantly, why they are trying to do it. Thanks to all involved for the switch.

Last edited:
This from Rennia Davis
"We take the defensive end seriously this year"....

Just my opinion, Andy tried to set her up for a controversial response. ........Course my opinion of him has never been high, so maybe I misinterpreted his intent. TO and I both gulped and yelped when he worded it. Naaaaah. Don’t think I misinterpreted his intent.

”What’s the difference between this team and last year’s team?” (Hmmmm. No. We’re not dissing last year, players or coaches. “...we take the defensive end seriously...”)
“What’s this about out here the flex, what was this a drum role, what were you doing out here after you scored...” (No. I wasn’t being a bad sport. “I was just heart felt the whole time...”)

Last edited:
It was a pleasure to watch that game.....It was nice to see a coach coaching from the sidelines again....Each girl, coming out of the game for a breather, got some personal coaching on the sidelines via coach Kellie.

Massengil, to my pleasant surprise, did a good job running the point...When she becomes a scorer, mama mia.

Davis became the beast we all hoped she would become....

Horston moves like fast moving water .....She's unlimited.

Key played extra big inside....She is the key to a big season.

Inside out ball movement was on display last night, for all the basketball world to acknowledge, Kellie is coaching offense....Thank Goodness!!

Lou Brown is a warrior...Played a ton of minutes on a knee still healing...Hell of a girl.

Even Green was court side, with her injured knee, to cheer and help all she could...She even shook ND players hands after the win....Hell of a girl.

It was a great night to be a Lady Vol fan...

This was my biggest reservation as well. We won’t be able to count on Rennia every night for a performance like that. I truly believe she can be a consistent 20pt a night player but she needs help.

I’m hopeful that as Lou’s knee improves she can become an 8-10 pt. player. She’s a real calming force out there and I anticipate her 3s will start falling as that knee gets better and she has more lift. Same for Rae, she could be the x-factor off the bench this season.

I was impressed with the mid range jumpers that Kamara hit. In past seasons, you would not expect points from her but now she should be able to chip in a few. Key, as season goes on, will become more and more of a post threat.

Defensively, all the signs are that the LVs are going to be much better than last season. They will help keep them in games but wins will require hitting some 3s. IF Rennia can be a consistent outside threat, that is huge plus but Brown and Burrell are going to help out behind the arc.

Horston has a nice stroke so can become another outside threat.

Rennie is kind of an unknown. She has some work to do. I think this game showed which players are really ready for the "test" right now.

Hopefully, she will fast track and become another shooter, that Kellie can keep on the floor.

From the small stretches I have seen, she has potential.

Also, I was critical of KK in earlier post but she did a nice job last nice. If she can build on that effort, that is another plus.

Just my opinion, Andy tried to set her up for a controversial response. ........Course my opinion of him has never been high, so maybe I misinterpreted his intent. TO and I both gulped and yelped when he worded it. Naaaaah. Don’t think I misinterpreted his intent.

I was impressed that Rennia did not pass out from the alcohol fumes pouring out of Lander's mouth. His question about what was Rennia doing when she was celebrating the game sealing basket (uh, Andy, I was celebrating the game sealing basket), is in some respects a genious drunk parody of an actual sports interview.

I feel bad for Lobo. She is competent. Find her a comparable partner.

There are going to be some bumps along this year's ride, but man last night was a good feeling. No feeling sorry for themselves or making excuses for losing Zaay, just hard nosed, tough, competitive, and disciplined ball - I have SO missed this !

Prayers for a quick recovery for Zaay - last night she was a big part of this win. I saw at one point she was getting onto players on the court after a few turnovers. She was definitely in the game which says a lot about her character.

He most definitely did, but Re is way too smart and way too classy for that. I was so proud of her last night and I loved seeing how free and happy she played. She is going to be all that we knew she could be. ☺️🧡

Coach Kellie's statements are intentional "to be the best we can be" "I peaked from the tunnel before the game to watch my son warming up" " I really wanted the team to get the win - for them." so refreshing to hear a bright human being (woman) being interviewed and responding as a human being and also a coach. Seldom observed, at least by me, in sports, politics or entertainment.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The improvement from game 1 is tremendous. I have now bought in. I am so proud of them. ND was a young team but to beat them there and the way the Lady Vols did it deserves a big shout out. I just wish they would use the back board more especially on the side shots where depth is hard to see.
Key is going to be great.....finally a mobile center. Coach should now begin to turn a few recruits eyes as THE LADY VOLS ARE BACK.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Coach should now begin to turn a few recruits eyes as THE LADY VOLS ARE BACK.
beating a ranked team on the road in only her third game as the Lady Vols coach was huge for the team and for Coach K, and as encouraged and excited as the fans are, lets try not to get ahead of ourselves here.
to say the "Lady Vols are back" would be better when we win the SEC and go deep in the NCAA tournament. THEN we can say that and I'm sure Kellie would agree.

Tennessee lost 9 of their top-10 players from last years team either to graduation, injury, or transfer. They had just six players who were recruited. That is simply ridiculous. With that said, great win.

How about Massengill running the offense. I’ll take 9 assists and 3 turnovers from her any day, and she had 13 boards. That was awesome. She just needs to develop her offensive game and man will she be a great player.

Call me out if you want but it sells for me....We have the prettiest coach in all of basketball and it will make me tune in anytime I can! Great hire CPF!

Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back