Lady Vols Go Into South Bend and Beat ND

teacherdean

The Lady Vols looked strong against the Lady Irish. Davis absolutely went off. However, the big surprise was the way Harris played. She looks like a much better player than she was in her previous three years. It appears that KJH and her staff know a little bit about developing players. The Irish are down this years, but, so was the expectation for the Lady Vols. For the most part, the Lady Vols played tough and were very aggressive. Two things the Lady Vols need to work on is, silly turnovers and working the clock when they have a nice lead. I am very proud of the Lady Vols.

Last edited:
The Lady Vols looked strong against the Lady Irish. Davis absolutely went off. However, the big surprise was the way Harris played. She looks like a much better player than she was in her previous three years. It appears that KJR and her staff know a little bit about developing players. The Irish are down this years, but, so was the expectation for the Lady Vols. For the most part, the Lady Vols played tough and were very aggressive. Two things the Lady Vols need to work on is, silly turnovers and working the clock when they have a nice lead. I am very proud of the Lady Vols.

Who is KJR? I have seen this more than once

I'll gladly eat my crow on this one. I didn't think Tennessee would win WITH Zay, in one of the toughest environments in the country, versus one of the best coaches in the game, against a program that's pretty much owned the Lady Vols for the better part of a decade. Then you add the Zay news just before the matchup and the team's mental psyche dealing with a sudden loss of a key player like that, and they really had no business winning the game IMO.

I've been a vocal skeptic of Harper, but I have to give her full credit. This was definitely a HUGE step in the right direction. Zay's injury still sucks, but they just proved they have the potential to be a pretty good team even without her. Hopefully recruits are starting to notice too...

I'll gladly eat my crow on this one. I didn't think Tennessee would win WITH Zay, in one of the toughest environments in the country, versus one of the best coaches in the game, against a program that's pretty much owned the Lady Vols for the better part of a decade. Then you add the Zay news just before the matchup and the team's mental psyche dealing with a sudden loss of a key player like that, and they really had no business winning the game IMO.

I've been a vocal skeptic of Harper, but I have to give her full credit. This was definitely a HUGE step in the right direction. Zay's injury still sucks, but they just proved they have the potential to be a pretty good team even without her. Hopefully recruits are starting to notice too...

So do you love me now? Have a cupcake on me. ;)

So do you love me now? Have a cupcake on me. ;)

2cit8h.jpg

The Lady Vols looked strong against the Lady Irish. Davis absolutely went off. However, the big surprise was the way Harris played. She looks like a much better player than she was in her previous three years. It appears that KJR and her staff know a little bit about developing players. The Irish are down this years, but, so was the expectation for the Lady Vols. For the most part, the Lady Vols played tough and were very aggressive. Two things the Lady Vols need to work on is, silly turnovers and working the clock when they have a nice lead. I am very proud of the Lady Vols.
What a fun game to watch! The Lady Vols have a lot to work on, but they have talent and KJH has them playing as a team!!! A great early season, road win. Go LV’s

Glad to see it click for Harris. Some around the program weren't sure she'd stick it out to see the season. Happy for her.

I agree with you. There is one thing that I don't understand and that is why you sit on timeouts, I thought that was a time to coach and correct mistakes. We had 5 turnovers in less than three minutes and never used any of our timeouts while they were gaining ground. Last season we lost to so many teams that had much less talent than than we did, so this is a big plus. We lost our top scorer for the season, but we seem to have plenty of firepower, as we get better and better.

I was not optimistic and turned pessimistic when the news dropped on Zaay.

I know the word that ND ain't what they used to be (last season) but that was still a quality squad that the LVs defensively stifled.

The test will be if they can keep it going over the course of the season. Right now, they are riding the wave of new coach euphoria but the level of defensive intensity was much different than in previous seasons; it was rare that they gave up the baseline; they closed out on shooters and got their hands to get blocks and deflection and they hustled back on transition defense.

This game, if it is not fluke, looks like Kellie had instituted a massive culture change in very little time.

I was not optimistic and turned pessimistic when the news dropped on Zaay.

I know the word that ND ain't what they used to be (last season) but that was still a quality squad that the LVs defensively stifled.

The test will be if they can keep it going over the course of the season. Right now, they are riding the wave of new coach euphoria but the level of defensive intensity was much different than in previous seasons; it was rare that they gave up the baseline; they closed out on shooters and got their hands to get blocks and deflection and they hustled back on transition defense.

This game, if it is not fluke, looks like Kellie had instituted a massive culture change in very little time.
Speaking of culture change, even just observing demeanor during huddles on the floor, high fives on the sideline during big plays--you can see why Kellie spoke so much about teaching the little things, the non-basketball things, because all of that really does matter.

I agree with you. There is one thing that I don't understand and that is why you sit on timeouts, I thought that was a time to coach and correct mistakes. We had 5 turnovers in less than three minutes and never used any of our timeouts while they were gaining ground. Last season we lost to so many teams that had much less talent than than we did, so this is a big plus. We lost our top scorer for the season, but we seem to have plenty of firepower, as we get better and better.

That is the worry though. There will be nights when Rennia does not deliver 33. With Zaay, we had another big time scorer to fall back on. That puts a lot of pressure on Horston (who looks just fine with it) and the role players.

Rae will need to find her game and become a 10 pt a night scorer.

Someone, in another post I read, pointed out that the change in the rules several years ago that allowed advancing the ball to half court during the final minutes of the game placed a premium on having timeouts available late in the game, especially when your team is in a tight game or trailing by a not insurmountable number of points. This is something that I had not given particular thought to as I was yelling at the tv screen both in this game and for the last several seasons - use your time outs!

But, I read this and thought about two things. First, Coach Harper made her choice not to use her time outs work against Notre Dame. Maybe she knows something about her team and players to which we, as fans, are not exactly privy. Second, I have noticed, particularly in the first three games of the season, that Coach Harper frequently takes the time to talk to a player as they come out of the game. I suspect that these are teaching moments that didn't happen with the previous staff and may, while not taking the place of a time out, lessen the absolute need for one. Following the game thread, I noticed several posts calling for the use of a time out. In several of those instances, I found myself saying internally, "No, this is a little too early. Let's see if the ladies get this turned around with the next play or two." And, in each instance, they did. I say this not to suggest that I am a much more magnificent armchair coach than most on here, but to simply suggest that there may be a method to Coach Harper's madness, and perhaps we shouldn't let our blood pressure rise to unhealthy levels watching these early in the season games until we see how she reacts in a true pressure situation! Remember, I think we can all agree that this is not the same coaching staff we have observed over the last several seasons!

Jim

Someone, in another post I read, pointed out that the change in the rules several years ago that allowed advancing the ball to half court during the final minutes of the game placed a premium on having timeouts available late in the game, especially when your team is in a tight game or trailing by a not insurmountable number of points. This is something that I had not given particular thought to as I was yelling at the tv screen both in this game and for the last several seasons - use your time outs!

But, I read this and thought about two things. First, Coach Harper made her choice not to use her time outs work against Notre Dame. Maybe she knows something about her team and players to which we, as fans, are not exactly privy. Second, I have noticed, particularly in the first three games of the season, that Coach Harper frequently takes the time to talk to a player as they come out of the game. I suspect that these are teaching moments that didn't happen with the previous staff and may, while not taking the place of a time out, lessen the absolute need for one. Following the game thread, I noticed several posts calling for the use of a time out. In several of those instances, I found myself saying internally, "No, this is a little too early. Let's see if the ladies get this turned around with the next play or two." And, in each instance, they did. I say this not to suggest that I am a much more magnificent armchair coach than most on here, but to simply suggest that there may be a method to Coach Harper's madness, and perhaps we shouldn't let our blood pressure rise to unhealthy levels watching these early in the season games until we see how she reacts in a true pressure situation! Remember, I think we can all agree that this is not the same coaching staff we have observed over the last several seasons!

Jim
I agree. Maybe Kellie liked the defensive instensity and trusted that her players could get control back (which they did just about every time ND made a run).

I think there is a balance between letting players play through a tough stretch and breaking up the momentum of the opponent. Kellie took some timeouts (one I remember when ND had cut the lead to under 10) where the team was looking discombobulated. I think she has a good sense of when to use a timeout. Given the result, it is hard to argue that she have done anything different.

To the poster you were responding to, well, just because you have a TO does not mean you should always use it.

Well hot damn! The brutal sojourn through the fun desert is over at long last! It was so fun I just want to enjoy, not analyze for a change. And without Zay, who I'm so very sorry about, would never have believed it. My particular crow to eat is that I said based on how ragged they looked the first few games, they would never just suddenly click at ND. They did.

ND ain't what they used to be, but that wouldn't have mattered in previous years. This win was absolutely monumental, congrats Coach Harper and all involved.

Side dish of crow, Massengill actually looked like an SEC caliber player for the first time ever Also the development of Harris is mega encouraging. What a confidence booster!

On the timeouts issue:

If the coach always calls a timeout instead of letting the players struggle, adjust, and find their way out of a bad series...
neither the coach nor the team will discover what the players have actually learned, who the floor leaders are, and how teammates respond to pressure or discouragement.

Timeouts not called early in the season are an investment in May.

I’ll be honest, it’s been a while since watching the Lady’s. Holly drained the fun for me. I watched the game last night with the wife and it rejuvenated me. However, if anyone can help me out, what is up with the shorts? Playing in High school, (yeah I’m awesome) we couldn’t get our shorts long enough! Now I’m seeing some with their shorts down, some rolled up. Are we eventually going to look like the Lady Vols Volleyball team? 😆
Glad to be back.
Great job last night Ladies! Great job CKH!

VN Store

Back