Lady Vols - Ball Security

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The LV had only 11 turnovers in the SC game with SC scoring 15 points from those turnovers. As often this season, the LV had one bad quarter. With the SC game it was the third quarter with the LV only scoring 15%. The SC post player scored often....she was probably the difference in the game score.

Reactions: dapeak and Only1COJ
SC was/is just better. They out scored us in every quarter, even the 1st quarter when we shot almost 60%.

I agree, and I’m ok accepting that. They are an incredibly talented and deep team this year. Going to take something weird for them not to win it all.

I do think if we somehow meet them in the tournament we could beat them. It’s especially difficult to beat the same team 3 times.

I agree, and I’m ok accepting that. They are an incredibly talented and deep team this year. Going to take something weird for them not to win it all.

I do think if we somehow meet them in the tournament we could beat them. It’s especially difficult to beat the same team 3 times.

That saying was formed in the NFL, since then a study has been done,,,the results:

Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, there have now been 24 occasions of teams meeting for the third time in the postseason after one team won the first two matchups.

In those 24 playoff games, including Saturday’s San Francisco win over Seattle, the “sweeping” team is 15-9, a solid. 625 winning percentage.

It actually favors a team to play a team they've beaten twice before

further, in college BB:

According to STATS LLC., there have been 981 similar matchups across Division I college basketball over the past 10 seasons. The teams entering the third game 2-0 are a combined 710-271 (.724 winning percentage) in the third meeting.

That is unless you are one of the best college teams ever. As is this group...

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Can TN beat SC sure they can but here is the reason it will be a tall order to do so. Only Jackson and Horston and maybe Jillian, I think if TN would to meet SC again KJH must make a change to the lineup. I would move 6-0 Wynn into the lineup, I know she is a liability on offense but will bring defense and rebounding. Let's call it for what it is and how we see it 6-1 Darby is just over matched against a team like SC

Reactions: 007Racer
Can TN beat SC sure they can but here is the reason it will be a tall order to do so. Only Jackson and Horston and maybe Jillian, I think if TN would to meet SC again KJH must make a change to the lineup. I would move 6-0 Wynn into the lineup, I know she is a liability on offense but will bring defense and rebounding. Let's call it for what it is and how we see it 6-1 Darby is just over matched against a team like SC

The main reason I think we could best them truly is the 3rd game issue. For a team that’s beaten another time twice they often come out flat thinking they’ll just do it again.

We have enough talent but would need to play only our best 6 players for the entire game. That would be our starters plus Jill. Get any deeper than that and we cannot guard South Carolina.

Reactions: djtee
The reason we lost yesterday was not because Tess can't defend them, tho she can't. It was because we couldn't score. SC is too good defensively for Horston and Jackson to beat them alone as they can many other teams. Trading defense for offense against SC would only have made it worse.

The reason we lost yesterday was not because Tess can't defend them, tho she can't. It was because we couldn't score. SC is too good defensively for Horston and Jackson to beat them alone as they can many other teams. Trading defense for offense against SC would only have made it worse.

Yep. The other player on our roster that could legitimately provide a scoring punch against South Carolina is Puckett, but she’s so out of it lately she is a liability instead of an asset.

Just no reason she shouldn’t have been giving us 10-12 a game off the bench. She’s too talented for the lack of production she showed this season.

Reactions: djtee
Yep. The other player on our roster that could legitimately provide a scoring punch against South Carolina is Puckett, but she’s so out of it lately she is a liability instead of an asset.
Sara did play some of Tess' mins and I thought it was a good idea. If Tess isn't going to score, Sara is stronger and better around the basket and might accidentally hit a 3. She did score I believe.

For free throws, we made 10 of 11, SC made 20 of 24. How did Rickea not get fouled at all during the entire game, not even 1 attempted foul shot. Her excellent free throw shooting was a large factor in our previous wins.

To be fair she plays faced up way more against SC. She had 3 threes yesterday which has been a rarity for her all season. Mostly played the mid range. Would have liked to see her attack Boston off the dribble more but she’s not that confident with her handle and Aliyah is an elite defender.

Rickea’s handle is probably the only reason she isn’t the top draft pick imo. As far as next level potential I truly think she is the best player in the country. Yes, even better than Clark, Boston, Bueckers etc.

Rickea’s game is going to translate beautifully at the wnba level.

The main reason I think we could best them truly is the 3rd game issue. For a team that’s beaten another time twice they often come out flat thinking they’ll just do it again.

We have enough talent but would need to play only our best 6 players for the entire game. That would be our starters plus Jill. Get any deeper than that and we cannot guard South Carolina.

Here is the problem if Darby is one of 6 in a game against a team like SC TN is in trouble. You can't have her go other there a score 0 and play 35-40 minutes just not gonna cut it. Striplin can hit the 3 but she also is over matched in the post at times.

Reactions: VolBall09
Here is the problem if Darby is one of 6 in a game against a team like SC TN is in trouble. You can't have her go other there a score 0 and play 35-40 minutes just not gonna cut it. Striplin can hit the 3 but she also is over matched in the post at times.

Against SC I wouldn’t be mad at the lineup of Walker, Horston, Jackson, Striplin and Hollingshed for the majority of the game.

Hollingshed moves really, really well for her size and will get down in a stance and guard somebody. I’m not sure why we haven’t utilized that more.

In that lineup I’d still have Karo bang with the 5 but have Jill guard their 3 player which is usually Beal. Jill can keep her in front no problem and has the length and physicality advantage. Let Jackson guard Saxton/Amihere. She matches up with them, especially Amihere and Saxton just isn’t a scoring threat except for oboards.

We lose Darbys 3 point shooting ability but Jackson and Striplin can both face up and have a nice shot. Strip showed that in the first SC matchup.

I’m not sure why we haven’t utilized that more. In that lineup I
BC no outside shooting. But once we've established Tess isn't going to be able to score, I like that lineup also. Striplin can hit 3s as well as anyone on a Tess-less night.

If they want to beat USC they will need a different game plan. Playing them straight up is a mismatch. The guards need to slash to the rim and force contact. They are not strong enough to keep Boston from getting the ball deep in the paint so game over. They need to get her in foul trouble and limit her minutes at all costs. If her minutes are cut in half they have a 50-50 chance.

BC no outside shooting. But once we've established Tess isn't going to be able to score, I like that lineup also. Striplin can hit 3s as well as anyone on a Tess-less night.

Yeah that’s what I just mentioned. I think Karo and Jackson can make up for that if you green light them from deep. Wouldn’t be mad to see them each take 4-5 3s against SC. Force their posts to come out and guard them and then let Horston and Jackson go to work off the bounce.

See if you can run Tess in situationally where they might lose her and get her a couple open looks. When we play Tess that many minute against them they have her spotted at all times. If we snuck her in they might forget and all Tess needs is a tiny bit of daylight. They weren’t giving her ANY yesterday. Teams know her 3 point shot is truly our x-factor.

Her 3s against LSU and that one she was fouled on in particular were very timely.

Also, if you’re gonna beat this SC team is not gonna be with your offense. You’re going to have to beat them with your defense and it would have to be a game in the 50s.

Reactions: travis929 and djtee
Yeah that’s what I just mentioned. I think Karo and Jackson can make up for that if you green light them from deep. Wouldn’t be mad to see them each take 4-5 3s against SC. Force their posts to come out and guard them and then let Horston and Jackson go to work off the bounce.

See if you can run Tess in situationally where they might lose her and get her a couple open looks. When we play Tess that many minute against them they have her spotted at all times. If we snuck her in they might forget and all Tess needs is a tiny bit of daylight. They weren’t giving her ANY yesterday. Teams know her 3 point shot is truly our x-factor.

Her 3s against LSU and that one she was fouled on in particular were very timely.

Spot on about Darby but i just don't see KJH taking her out of the lineup just not gonna happen.

Reactions: VolBall09
Spot on about Darby but i just don't see KJH taking her out of the lineup just not gonna happen.

I agree, she’s far too rigid in that capacity for me. Sometimes you’ve got to mix things up based on who you’re playing. Especially against a team you have almost no chance of beating.

Tess is a star in my eyes though. Truly. Think of all the top talented ladies who have gone through this program over the years. But Tess, a sorority girl from little ole Greenfield Tennessee has a legit chance to go down in history as the best 3 point shooter to ever play in Tennessee orange.

I won’t be one but shocked if she leaves Tennessee as the all time leader in 3s made and career %. Every time she lets one go you think it’s going in. She’s supremely confident in her shot now. It looks like a dang layup to her. She torched Kentucky until they were forced to waste one whole defender to stand next to her lol. She’s so good for our spacing even when she doesn’t shoot which is why I know Kellie likes her out there even when she doesn’t score. You can’t not guard her or she’ll make you pay.

The thing about Tess though, she is the leader in the huddle. I believe she represents Kellie on the floor. After rewatching the LSU game, she and Rickea were keeping Horston focused. Didn’t rewatch the SC game.

Yes. Tess always has such good energy and body language. Part of what makes her such a dynamite shooter too. You never see her drop her shoulders after a miss. She just splashes the next one in your eye.

Not happening. This Lady Vols team lack so much in guard play. And next year is scary to think about.

Reactions: Dansky

VN Store

Back