Lady Vols - Ball Security

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The 3rd quarter just ended and as usual the Lady Vols have no ball security. The LV have had 13 turnovers and SC has scored 18 points off those turnovers. Its the same old story game after game on the lack of ball security. Those 18 points are basically the difference in the score. Thank goodness softball and baseball season is here. The LV will be worse next year when Davis gone.

Reactions: Hbg
You can’t fix a turnover problem in March. Taking care of the basketball has not been a priority all year.

I totally agree with you and worse yet it was the same old story last year too. Coach Harper needs to apply the Rick Barnes method on turnovers. In practice if there is a turnover by a mens basketball player, the player has to run from the playing floor to the top of the arena and back. With a few such trips, the player is more careful on ball security.

The 3rd quarter just ended and as usual the Lady Vols have no ball security. The LV have had 13 turnovers and SC has scored 18 points off those turnovers. Its the same old story game after game on the lack of ball security. Those 18 points are basically the difference in the score. Thank goodness softball and baseball season is here. The LV will be worse next year when Davis gone.
I said last night that if the lady vols has turnovers like they did against ole miss that they would get blown out. I was told that it wouldnt happen again. Well it did.

I totally agree with you and worse yet it was the same old story last year too. Coach Harper needs to apply the Rick Barnes method on turnovers. In practice if there is a turnover by a mens basketball player, the player has to run from the playing floor to the top of the arena and back. With a few such trips, the player is more careful on ball security.
I certainly agree with you. Most of our loses this year have been from that reason and her questionable substitution . This is the third game in a row that she has pulled Key from the game without her being in foul trouble. I realize she has to rest but she was on the bench most of the second quarter when they pulled ahead to stay. She did the same thing in the 3rd quarter when we could have made a move to close the gap. The other big girl is not even close in rebounding or shot blocking. Then she had Saunders and Suarez in the game at the same time at that was a complete disaster. I fail to see what she sees in Suarez, she can't guard because she is to slow, and she certainly can't rebound inside where she spends the most of her time. I am certainly glad that I can see improvement, but she was certainly out coached tonight. The biggest thing that I see is that she does not require them to value the basketball, and that has and will continue to lose a lot of games for us

I cant believe that a player who played under the greatest basketball coach I have ever witnessed doesnt have the same desire to have her players quit tuening it over so much.

Reactions: krichunaka
I cant believe that a player who played under the greatest basketball coach I have ever witnessed doesnt have the same desire to have her players quit tuening it over so much.
Having the desire and being able to get them to stop turning it over are two different things. I can 100% guarantee she doesn't want them to turn it over.

Lady Vols would do just as good if Walker played the post! Mostly Key and the other Big are of very limited value on the floor. Suskitwah is too slow, too clumsy and couldn't catch the ball if her life depended on it. Key is tall (6.5) and that's it. Either can't or won't try to jump. Extremely clumsy and has no idea of how to guard or power her way to the basket. She needs to drill and drill or just leave the team. More concerned about her hair than playing! Harper needs to defend her team on the floor with the refs. Sometimes a coach getting a technical in defense of their team is a positive for all. Vols need to seriously work at recruiting some players that will work at learning to play the post.

Lady Vols would do just as good if Walker played the post! Mostly Key and the other Big are of very limited value on the floor. Suskitwah is too slow, too clumsy and couldn't catch the ball if her life depended on it. Key is tall (6.5) and that's it. Either can't or won't try to jump. Extremely clumsy and has no idea of how to guard or power her way to the basket. She needs to drill and drill or just leave the team. More concerned about her hair than playing! Harper needs to defend her team on the floor with the refs. Sometimes a coach getting a technical in defense of their team is a positive for all. Vols need to seriously work at recruiting some players that will work at learning to play the post.

That’s a lie. Tamari has and could do a great job if these refs would just let her play. Kasi has limitations but is effective and makes a difference.

Can't you coach your team not to lazily lob it in to the post...or coach post player to move toward the ball if it is? I don't buy for a second that it isn't a coachable issue. No way Pat tolerates that nonsense no less let it continue. We all know Kelly is no Pat Summit but come on.

Well I'll admit I forgot about the game but it looks like I didn't miss anything. 18 TOs to 8 assists, whipped on rebounds, and shot 14% on 3s. I imagine it was hard to watch.

Well, I know not everyone reads my posts (and I wouldn't expect them to), but I've posted a couple of times (with numbers to back it up) on Kellie's coaching history: generally below average shooting and below average ball security (and sometimes poor on either category). For it to be so consistent means it's systemic (in the real sense of the word). It's her coaching style and the kind of players she recruits. We're not suddenly going to be great at either shooting or ball security: so we have to defend better and rebound better. When we do, we're very good; when we don't we're mediocre.

Well, I know not everyone reads my posts (and I wouldn't expect them to), but I've posted a couple of times (with numbers to back it up) on Kellie's coaching history: generally below average shooting and below average ball security (and sometimes poor on either category). For it to be so consistent means it's systemic (in the real sense of the word). It's her coaching style and the kind of players she recruits. We're not suddenly going to be great at either shooting or ball security: so we have to defend better and rebound better. When we do, we're very good; when we don't we're mediocre.
Our shooting and turnover woes predate KJH. It was totally Holly's coaching history as well. Maybe we can't expect to improve under KJH due to her history, but she did not bring it with her here.

I don't see how the two phrases (Lady Vols and ball security) are in the same sentence without burning a hole in the internet. They simply don't exist in the same space-time continuum.

Our shooting and turnover woes predate KJH. It was totally Holly's coaching history as well. Maybe we can't expect to improve under KJH due to her history, but she did not bring it with her here.
First of all, I was being charitable. With the exception of three years, her teams have been near the bottom of the heap in turnovers. 212th, which is where we stand at present, is exactly what I would expect. Secondly, if you're going to bring Holly into this: all of our best players were recruited by her. This incoming class is the one that will tell the tale for Kellie; and I'm desperately hoping that one of those guards can get us into the top 150 in turnovers. History says no, but I'm still hoping.

Reactions: glv98
Holly has a coaching history but it's not one to remember? She was a good recruiter I giver her that but there was no semblance of coaching there. When your media response after games is "I don't know' your in trouble. You would think Kelly would address TO's when they are directly responsible for most of your losses but she seems not to make it a priority for some reason.

You would think Kelly would address TO's when they are directly responsible for most of your losses but she seems not to make it a priority for some reason.
C'mon, you don't really think KJH does not address TOs and make them a priority do you? Did you think by her emphasizing ball security it would magically happen? Probably also think punishment - throw em out of the lockerroom! run em til they puke! - will be a magic potion.

Unfortunately, its more complicated than that. T.O problems happen for lots of reasons - the transfer of our low turnover starting point guard, the still-spotty flow of our offensive game, the struggles of a highly rated recruit (by Holly) that so far has not panned out, and many other causes. Both Re and Rae are also, and probably always will be, high t.o. players by nature.

I guess you could criticize KJH for not curing the problem, though she hasn't had that long and the problem was already a crisis when she got here. But its nonsensical to imagine she's not trying.

Unless, of course, KJH is part of the vast conspiracy to wound the U of T at every turn. Kellie's a deep state SEC operative along with the refs. Hey, maybe that's why she doesn't "work" the refs or call timeouts when board coaches think she should!

1997 Lady Vols beat Old Dominion for Ncaa championship. Holdsclaw and Jolly had 15 turnovers between them. 9 by Kelly. 26 team turnovers. Pat must not have the desire I guess.

1997 Lady Vols beat Old Dominion for Ncaa championship. Holdsclaw and Jolly had 15 turnovers between them. 9 by Kelly. 26 team turnovers. Pat must not have the desire I guess.
Great post (the second one). Pat Summitt was great enough that we don't have to view her thru comically orange tinted glasses. In fact, that's a bit of an insult to her legacy. The truth about her will do just fine, thank you.

Once again, the notion that KJH has no desire to fix the problem is ridiculous. Can't (yet) is way different from won't. I assure you its being worked on. Both in practice and in recruiting.

Reactions: madtownvol
I never said she didn't have the desire. Just implying there seems to be no effort to do anymore than talk about them. When high TO's per game goes on for 2 seasons in a row makes one wonder what type of corrective coaching is being used. Maybe nothing can be done. I don't think Pat's methods would work with today's players.

Lord have mercy, finally someone on here can see and admit the truth, it’s been awful to watch, I’m a fan and love UT but the truth is the truth

VN Store

Back