Lady Vols Ball Security (Turnovers)

Spook1

Ancient Vol
Alabama had only 6 turnovers for the game while the LV had 20 turnovers. Alabama scored 11 points off the LV turnovers. This LV team constantly lacks "ball security". Horston had 6 turnovers which equaled the amount for the whole Alabama team. The LV escaped with a 2-point win, but turnovers came close to costing them the game. Surely Coach Harper is going to have to address this problem...Warlick never addressed it either.

Alabama had only 6 turnovers for the game while the LV had 20 turnovers. Alabama scored 11 points off the LV turnovers. This LV team constantly lacks "ball security". Horston had 6 turnovers which equaled the amount for the whole Alabama team. The LV escaped with a 2-point win, but turnovers came close to costing them the game. Surely Coach Harper is going to have to address this problem...Warlick never addressed it either.

TO's are a problem...it's as much mental as anything else...how do you fix that...:D

PS. keep winning...it will fix itself...;)

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Got to play smart.

Turnovers will happen, but got to eliminate or cut down AMAP these bad mistakes:

Three seconds.
Reaching in.
Fouling as shot clock runs out.
Long passes in traffic.
Forcing into heavily-guarded post who hasn't established position.
Automatically following passing pattern despite presence of opponent beside pass receiver.

Lack of ball movement on the outside is the main cause of turnovers. Last night they would come down and everyone just stands in their position waiting for the big to get open. Can't get it inside pass to the right or left and try again. Very one dimensional. They were waiting on it of course and ended up being a turnover. Speed things up a little, pass and move no one should be standing still ever.

Surely is not the coach, Harper is the coach. It has been a major issue the entire season and not likely to change this season!

TO's are a problem...it's as much mental as anything else...how do you fix that...:D

PS. keep winning...it will fix itself...;)

GO LADY VOLS!
Yeah, it's mental all right. Called mental laziness. I have said before it was youth, not team yet, conditioning, etc. But after watching the game last night, I now think it is just laziness. Laziness in attitude, laziness in desire on every play. This bunch will become a really good team if Kellie's inter "Pat" turns loose on them. That is if "Pat's Way" can work with the youngsters of today.

Reactions: StrangeVol
I’m just a fan not a technician at all but I wonder how much their diamond and one impacted the turnover number.
Kellie, in her postgame comments, seemed unhappy with the ball and player movement and talked almost like our kids were thrown off by this defensive alignment. I’m sure we will see it again so glad we got the win and something else to work on.

This team is turning down way too many open looks inside the 3 point line. I can't count the number of times a player received a pass inside the 3 point line and instead of shooting the ball decided to dribble towards the basket into a mass of Alabama players and either got trapped and lost the ball or got her shot blocked. I understand sharing the ball but this failure to take open shots is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Lack of ball movement on the outside is the main cause of turnovers. Last night they would come down and everyone just stands in their position waiting for the big to get open. Can't get it inside pass to the right or left and try again. Very one dimensional. They were waiting on it of course and ended up being a turnover. Speed things up a little, pass and move no one should be standing still ever.
Playing flat without much movement when they should be playing sharp and crisp with more movement. It's not just one player either. I saw very bad passing last night and told myself they're gonna give this game away and they almost did. If KJH is going to coach here some players should be getting some pep in their step because everybody saw it. A lot of room for improvement,imo.

I’m just a fan not a technician at all but I wonder how much their diamond and one impacted the turnover number.
Kellie, in her postgame comments, seemed unhappy with the ball and player movement and talked almost like our kids were thrown off by this defensive alignment. I’m sure we will see it again so glad we got the win and something else to work on.

After watching the game again this morning, the diamond and one contributed to a lot of their turnovers. When Alabama was in this particular defense, we pressed too much on offense and over passed the ball. Every time they switch out of the defense we would score or get a great look. The good thing is now they have seen the diamond and one so they will prepared for it going forward.

Reactions: Lucy

Good point.....Our girls did not move a lot on offense by cutting through the lanes as in past games...And the guards seemed to telegraph their passes between themselves...

For much of the game, it did look like the dreaded Warlick offense had unfortunately returned. Passing the ball around the perimeter, trying to force the ball inside had been our losing brand for so long...

UConn will be jumping the passing lanes and trying to steal the ball for some easy buckets....

In a lot of game turnovers haven't meant as much as they did last night because we were close to forcing as many as we were committing. In SEC play we are now consistently giving up more shots than we are getting a bad place to be with the best teams coming up. Last night only 6 bama turnovers to our 20 resulted in 69 shots for them and only 55 for us. Even though we shot 47 percent to their 36 because of all the turnovers and all the additional shots they got the game turned in to what happened. This sadly has become the main concern giving up more shots than they are attempting on offense. We don't seem to be very good at forcing turnovers thus when we commit so many it allows the other team way to many shot attempts over what we get. You turn that around they get 55 and we get 69 we win this game by 20 points or more. That is how much the turnovers and allowing extra shots meant in this game. Almost got us beat needed a miracle shot to save us.

As much of a deep relief I sighed after Rennia's shot (that I watched live while physically attending the Maryland game which got boring after a while) I'm glad Kellie didn't look too pleased in her post game presser. Light a fire under their butts for Thursday, Kellie!

This game was a regression in terms of ball security. But, Alabama's defensive set had a lot to do with it, rather than character flaws in the players.

On a number of TO, the LVs looked perplexed and a bit panicked under pressure and did not see a Bama lurking in the passing lanes.

Bama played excellent defense. In the second half in particular, Rennia ran a half marathon trying to find an opening and a Bama player always tracked her movement. Bama was very quick to switch to a double team the second a LV picked up her dribble. And sometimes, the LVs made their life harder by dribbling into double coverage. Rae really struggled with that in the first half.

[But without Rae's late game scoring run and rebounding, LVs would have not bee in position for Rennia to hit a game winner].

This team is turning down way too many open looks inside the 3 point line. I can't count the number of times a player recieved a pass inside the 3 point line and instead of shooting the ball decided to dribble towards the basket into a mass of Alabama players and either got trapped and lost the ball or got her shot blocked. I understand sharing the ball but this failure to take open shots is getting ridiculous.
Agreed! I would rather take a shot within reasonable range and crash the boards than ram it in the teeth of the defense or force it inside.

After considerable thought, I'm going to break my own rule and take an individual player to task. I don't do ths lightly but it's been eating at me for a couple of weeks now. So here goes.

I have formed a love/hate relationship with Jordan Horston. When she is good she is so very very good. When she is bad she is a turnover looking for a place to happen. To me, the worst part is that it appears many of her turnovers are the result of inattention, laziness, or massive brain farts. It's inexplicable...and inexcusable, in my opinion. I've lost count of the times she has driven headlong into a mass of players in a seemingly heroic attempt to score while failing to look for and identify an open player with a much better opportunity to score. Is this a heroic or a very selfish act? I think it's selfish "hero ball." Your mileage may vary.

I'm to the point that I think she needs some bench time to get her head in the game. Maybe that would help? Maybe not.

*rant off*

The discussion of our weaknesses is on point and fair criticism and coming from true fans who support our team while desiring to see us get better. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, it's healthy. Some of us, including myself, had grown pretty apathetic in recent years.

We know that Kellie and staff can see the same things we see and are working to fix things. We also know that our athletes are responding to the staff and want to do tgeir best.

Next nine games are going to be interesting. And potentially nervewracking.

Reactions: GameTime
Re: Jordan...she does make a lot of freshman mistakes to go along with her standout moments, but it doesn't look like selfishness. She racks up too many assists for that.

Last night, she passed up a wide-open 5-footer in front of the basket to pass to a covered teammate on the right side of the basket who couldn't get a clean shot. So it's a combination of things.

As Coach J pointed out, look how Jaz has improved. Jordan will get there.

Reactions: lvocd and LVsinceJV
Strange, you are so correct....Jordan will suddenly just drive into the defense for no reason.....Either pull up and shoot, or pass the ball...It is maddening.

The discussion of our weaknesses is on point and fair criticism and coming from true fans who support our team while desiring to see us get better. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, it's healthy. Some of us, including myself, had grown pretty apathetic in recent years.

We know that Kellie and staff can see the same things we see and are working to fix things. We also know that our athletes are responding to the staff and want to do tgeir best.

Next nine games are going to be interesting. And potentially nervewracking.

Creek, if these turnovers aren't fixed, forget about it.

Reactions: creekdipper
Shouldn't that be, "Fuggedaboudit"?

But...point taken.

The passes to phantom teammates last night had me reaching for the Maalox.

Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back