Lady Vols aren't popular anymore...

This is sort of what I was thinking. Phil is looking pretty good right now. The better CJP makes our upside look this recruiting class, SP, and season gives him more clout w fanbase and admins to make the necessary move. LVBB has already been tanked according to our standards. But this season is looking like a possible tank in "normal programs" terms.

The more that happens, coupled w more clout for the AD, then the more chance we have that we finally get an actual coach search. The good news is CHW has recruited pretty well. Plus she's taken the post-legend hit. An elite coach can come in without so much "Pat didn't do it that way" from the blue hairs. That and a stocked cupboard should make this a dream job for a handful of elite coaches.
You don't need an elite coach ...You need a coach who can get the best out of Elite basketball players. I've been in this game for a long time and whether it be high school, College, AAU or the pros you need a coach in the mix with more personality than the players. That's why I say you don't necessarily need an elite coach you need a coach who can read the players somewhere in the mix

You don't need an elite coach ...You need a coach who can get the best out of Elite basketball players. I've been in this game for a long time and whether it be high school, College, AAU or the pros you need a coach in the mix with more personality than the players. That's why I say you don't necessarily need an elite coach you need a coach who can read the players somewhere in the mix

Yes CJ thank you.... elite coach is not mandatory.... we want one who can teach, motivate and command respect

LOL, you poor folks in Tennessee have the exact opposite problem we have here at Baylor. Ya'll have a men's team that's running with the best and a womens team destined for mediocrity. And our men's coach who loses 4 out of every ten he plays has a job that can't be touched. It's as secure as the rock of gilbraltor.
There's still a little room left to jump on the men's bandwagon on their way to the National Championship.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Phil, you made a bold move in football hiring a coach with no HC experience, now it's time you make a move in Lady Vols program!!!
He's already said he's going to fix football before turning his attention to anything else, which makes sense because outside of Men's basketball all other supports rely on Football revenue. Maybe Holly will embarrass herself enough the season and step down but I doubt it.

TMI !!!

Well, at least that activity should prove to be more entertaining than watching the games right now.
LOL we gotta have some fun right? But seriously, that's such a big part of the problem, lack of fun on all levels of a LV game. Kids used to fight over the tickets and now I can't bribe anyone to go. Its not just the losses, its the atmosphere around the whole program which is total Struggle Bus. No one is having a bit of fun anymore and the games are torture, not entertainment.

That does give me a small ray of hope though that Holly might reach some agreement to give up the head coaching reigns after this season. Its easy to see she is having least fun of anyone. She's at least relatively smart, got plenty of money, doubtless loves the Lady Vols and cannot be unaware of the decline that's happened on her watch. This has got to be exceedingly painful for her and I cannot imagine she would want to continue to go thru this. Give her recruiting coordinator job or something to keep her active until full retirement and for the love of all things Lady Vol put her out of her underachieving misery.

The last two games, home games I might add, were an absolute joke. The product that is put on the court speaks for itself. Zero heart, zero hustle, zero effort, and zero concern from the players.

The last two games, home games I might add, were an absolute joke. The product that is put on the court speaks for itself. Zero heart, zero hustle, zero effort, and zero concern from the players.
JMHO but I don't see lack of effort in this group at all, and that makes it even worse. They do seem to me to be working hard, which is why they come back as opposed to laying down in these bad losses. Its just that the effort is wildly unfocused, unorganized and mis-managed. Proving that the current staff doesn't know how to handle either situation, slackers or wild ponies who badly need to be tamed.

There was a time when the announcers sounded like they respected the program. Now they are just another program. These aren't shocking upsets anymore.

Easy to see, if you watch them play. They lost several rebounds last night against Kentucky just b/c no one would pick the ball up. Out of control on the offensive end half the time.

Last edited:
I'm just going to follow the special season we are having on the men's side from this point forward and forget about Holly and the Lady Vols. Nothing is going to change any time soon, so why get yourself worked up over it?

This is true, since they agreed to an extension this year.

Reactions: Momto2
With Coach Rick Barnes, the men's team will overshadow the women's. In fact, it may be this way until RB retires.

This is sort of what I was thinking. Phil is looking pretty good right now. The better CJP makes our upside look this recruiting class, SP, and season gives him more clout w fanbase and admins to make the necessary move. LVBB has already been tanked according to our standards. But this season is looking like a possible tank in "normal programs" terms.

The more that happens, coupled w more clout for the AD, then the more chance we have that we finally get an actual coach search. The good news is CHW has recruited pretty well. Plus she's taken the post-legend hit. An elite coach can come in without so much "Pat didn't do it that way" from the blue hairs. That and a stocked cupboard should make this a dream job for a handful of elite coaches.

The blue hairs aren't going away until they die off. Its a huge negative to this job if it ever comes open.

Reactions: BreatheUT
JMHO but I don't see lack of effort in this group at all, and that makes it even worse. They do seem to me to be working hard, which is why they come back as opposed to laying down in these bad losses. Its just that the effort is wildly unfocused, unorganized and mis-managed. Proving that the current staff doesn't know how to handle either situation, slackers or wild ponies who badly need to be tamed.
Green has been with this team for over 2 years C green, and all you have to do is look at her foul shot release to know fundamentals are not being taught. She pushes the ball on release and then flips her hand backwards you know you have to follow through and that follow through has to be at a 45 degree angle. Otherwise a flight of the ball is going to be affected. Fundamentals.

The other thing I saw in that game was I scared bunch of kids to shoot the ball. I think instead of correct in the atmosphere somebody said quit shooting the damn ball or you going to get in trouble or you are you going to get benched and that affected our Shooters. Our Shooters have to have their free mentality to shoot

This same thing happened last year. We came out shooting the lights out and then all the sudden they couldn't put it in an ocean

Thank goodness for Rick Barnes otherwise all of our programs would be completely irrelevant. Our AD seems to be committed to mediocrity

I watched MSST spank UK in the game before tonight's, and watching MSST do the same vs. UG tonight. Two things come to mind. First, Tennessee is nowhere in their league, and that game will be ugly. Second, despite the fact that they are getting thumped, UGA is no joke. I don't think those offensive rebounds will be there for Tennessee, and they have guards that can shoot and attack off the dribble. They need to bring g their A+ game, because UGA will be hungry for a win and knows Tennessee is vulnerable.

Along the lines of your post: I watched Belmont and Morehead State before this "game" and had the same though line you have. I feel the LadyVols would fit in really well at the level of Belmont and Morehaed. (still feel they would lose some) This bunch of girls look sluggish, slow, little intensity and have very little clue how to play as a team. Gonna be a long season from here on. I just wonder if Holly will make it to the end. Personally I hope not. Don't let this ineptitude fester and ruin what seem to be the makings of a good team if properly handled.

I watched them earlier in the year and saw the writing on the wall. The top three players on the bench and we are still embarrased
It is really tough to express how embarrassing the last to efforts, or lack thereof, really are. This is too great of a program to let it die. We look a lot like Duke’s women’s basketball. Remember how they were once a top ten program, getting top recruits that McCallie did squat with. Look at that program now, unranked, 0 and 2 in conference and haven’t been ranked since Lassie was a pup. We are slipping and sliding the same way. We are getting top recruits and doing zero with them. It appears, like Duke’s program, administration is okay with the mediocre performance of its women’s program. That is so unfair to the memory of what Pat built. A stored program like the Lady Vols should not be allowed to head in the direction it is going.

Reactions: alaVOL
Until Phil is sure Pruitt has all the pieces in place he needs for the rebuild of the football program. Then he will look at other problems.
By that time, the LV’s could be in a hole they can’t climb out of, obviously they have been digging this hole for a few years. What is going on with the Lady Vols is not new,it has been headed this direction for sometime. If old Phil can only handle one problem program at a time, we are in deep crap.

Reactions: T.J. and vettefool

Agreed.

:(

VN Store

Back