Lady Vols 24 "Turnovers" - 3 Quarters

Yeah that will really help... 14 points in the second half. Yeah don't work on shooting any at all.

I think the point is that if you can't get close enough to get a shot off, it doesn't matter how well you can shoot.

Players can get extra shots up on their own. They can't learn to pass, set screens, communicate, move in patterns, run plays, post up, receive passes, etc. on their own.

Outsider here.

okay, 24 turnovers is not good, but how many were forced and how many were unforced?

You guys were playing UCONN. Geno stresses very tight defense. They force a bunch of turnovers by everybody. I have watched them make our offense look stupid for the past five years - and we have had some very good teams in that stretch. You simply can't force a pass through tight windows against them.

Of course, I notice in this thread that y'all had 20 turnovers vs. Bama. That would be troubling. Is this a young team for y'all? If so, they still have time to learn better ball security before the dance.

Vast majority were unforced/careless from what I recall. Lots of post players struggling to catch entry passes or handling the ball far out on the perimeter, Horston making unnecessary passes, Burrell just playing out of control, etc. Complete mental breakdown in 3rd quarter and UCONN got a huge lift from Griffin.

UCONN is a good defensive team but they're usually a squad that plays really tough half court defense and forces you to take low percentage shots rather than a squad that forces a ton of turnovers. I think South Carolina is going to be the heavy favorite to win the matchup with UCONN as long as Boston stays on the court. ONO has a tendency to commit fouls (had 4 last night and somehow didn't get called for another one when she literally jumped on Horston's back to where her feet were completely off the ground for a good 2-3 seconds) and I don't think anyone else UCONN has can compete with her inside.

Reactions: jim43
Terrible ball handling and terrible post play. I understand the freshman but KK is not I repeat NOT very good, I expected to see improvement not regression during the season
Long Time Lady Vols fan , first post. I don't want to blame one particular player for the sad second half dispirited effort against UConn but…. First of all we were blessed to be leading at the half, if not for lucky shots and un UConn like basketball .Horston acts like she is playing street ball with all those turnovers and weak out of control drives to the basket with no real shot of going in and passes to who knows where, unless she's lucky. And I hate her defensive stance, a sure blow by waiting to happen. TK is a freshman but there is a disconnect with her brain and body in the post. She looked like she has never played organized basketball with all the reaching over the back of smaller defenders. And what's with the attitude after committing a silly foul? Offensively I watched her shot and its just not there. When you are wide open and turn and "heave" the ball at the backboard and not the rim it just cant be nerves. I would blame the coaches on not having someone teach her post moves They need to reach out to Candace or Izzy to work with her if they can. You can tell she's a very passive person. They need to recruit a guard like Dangerfield because while they are tall (Horston, Massengill and Burrell) they are stiff and none are point guards in the true sense. Don't tell me they are "rare," (Miss. St, Alabama, South Carolina, etc.) all seem to have a surplus of 5'8, 5'9 point guards so I know that Harper can recruit a floor general. Also I thought that Coach should have gone small with UConn putting Brown at the 5 spot instead of playing KK, she is not mobile enough to come out the paint and Jesus those hands! My two cents.

Coach Kellie needs to dedicate every practice to turnover drills and ball security.....This is beyond a minor problem, it is THE PROBLEM!

From her post game presser it kinda sounds like they already are. Could be a situation where they are talking about it TOO much. Getting in their head.

I think some of our younger players are hitting the wall a bit as well. Just about February is always tough for Freshmen. Generally they come back around by SEC tourney time.

ONO has a tendency to commit fouls (had 4 last night and somehow didn't get called for another one when she literally jumped on Horston's back to where her feet were completely off the ground for a good 2-3 seconds

That is not exactly how that play went. I just watched the replay a few times of that play.

Horston had great inside position. However, Nelson-Ododa didn't jump on her back. She was close to straight up with her leap, and the majority of the contact was Horston backup into Nelson-Ododa. If there was a foul to be called it was on ONO, but she didn't jump on Horston's back.

Go watch the play.

It was similar to this play, and I believe no foul was called here either.

SFBG2O7BCBGS7D5SMR2XHCCCGY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo
Turnovers as I saw them
PS ...I may have gotten one or two wrong, as I have a tv and a digital recorder,,,so please keep this in mind....I don;t have Al Brown's equipment to do this

Q1
8:54TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside right,...,a forced error on the entry pass from out of bounds forced
8:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside left,...,a defended pass from Jordan to Lou Brown forced
5:12TENT-Travel Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside righ,...,tRay Burrell dribbles into the paint with no options unforced
4:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,bad pass from KK to Burrell Over Burrell's head unforced
2:34TENT-3sec Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,3 second call on kk unforced
0:33TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan Bad Pass to Jazmine unforced
0:00TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the outside left,...,Jordan with time running out has the Hoist up a shot being double teamed forced
Q2
7:55TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine under the basket,...,Jazmine dribbles and pushes off defender unforced
7:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside left,...,Lou Brown bed entry pass to key in the paint unforced
5:31TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou in the backcourt,...,Lou Brown tried to throw the ball off the leg of the defender and the defender got the ball unforced
3:48TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside right,...,Lou bad pass to KK unforced
3:23CHELDBALLKK and ONO get tied up, jump ball forced
3:10TENT-Shotclock Turnover by TEN at the inside righ,...,tshot clock running down Burrell receives the past at the arc elbow extended and does not take the shot unforced
1:28TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside right,...,Rae dribbles into a double team and tries to flip the ball over to KK unforced
1:08TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae in the backcourt,...,Burrelloutlet, overthrows Davis unforced
0:00TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,3.9 seconds left and the length of the car to go Lou inbounds the past 2 Davis who is immediately double-teamed forced
Q3
9:09TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the backcourt,...,JH bad handoff to Davis unforced
6:43TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #20 Key, Tamari at the inside left,...,Jazmine open for 3 but passes to key who was expecting the shot unforced
5:38TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,KK receive the entry pass in the paint is double-teamed and tries to pass it out forced
5:26TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,Burrell outlet to Davis passes defended forced
4:58TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan gets in trouble tries to pass passes deflected tries to pass again forced
4:27TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera in the backcourt,...,KK from the top of the arc passes to an open Harris at the Baseline Arc unforced
4:15TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna at the outside center,...,Jordan get tied up on a rebound forced
3:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the paint,...,Jordan attacking paint , defended well forced
2:00TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera under the basket,...,offensive foul called against Jordan 4 going through a pic forced
Q4
9:16TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #10 Rennie, Jessie at the outside center,...,Jesse bad pass off the leg of her defender unforced
5:19TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside center,...,Davis throws the ball over Burrell in an undefended unforced
3:35CHELDBALL0 unforced
:24TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine in the paint,...,Jazmine dribbles towards the Baseline has to pass the ball bc she's jumping out of bounds unforced

Reactions: sgacock
Good work coach.....

I remember so many of those mistakes.....I should have kept the game film, but I just didn't want to look at it again......Now, oh well.....

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Good work coach.....

I remember so many of those mistakes.....I should have kept the game film, but I just didn't want to look at it again......Now, oh well.....

Thanks GT,,,I just hope Al Brown is as critical as I am

With 3 quarters finished, the LV have 24 "turnovers" and absolutely no ball security. The LV are capable of beating most NCAA womens basketball teams if they could only control ball security and turnovers.
Poor coaching year after year.

That is not exactly how that play went. I just watched the replay a few times of that play.

Horston had great inside position. However, Nelson-Ododa didn't jump on her back. She was close to straight up with her leap, and the majority of the contact was Horston backup into Nelson-Ododa. If there was a foul to be called it was on ONO, but she didn't jump on Horston's back.

Go watch the play.

It was similar to this play, and I believe no foul was called here either.

SFBG2O7BCBGS7D5SMR2XHCCCGY.jpg
I also thought Horston was backing up trying to block out Ono. Glad I wasn’t the only one that saw it that way.

Turnovers as I saw them
PS ...I may have gotten one or two wrong, as I have a tv and a digital recorder,,,so please keep this in mind....I don;t have Al Brown's equipment to do this

Q1
8:54TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside right,...,a forced error on the entry pass from out of bounds forced
8:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside left,...,a defended pass from Jordan to Lou Brown forced
5:12TENT-Travel Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside righ,...,tRay Burrell dribbles into the paint with no options unforced
4:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,bad pass from KK to Burrell Over Burrell's head unforced
2:34TENT-3sec Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,3 second call on kk unforced
0:33TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan Bad Pass to Jazmine unforced
0:00TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the outside left,...,Jordan with time running out has the Hoist up a shot being double teamed forced
Q2
7:55TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine under the basket,...,Jazmine dribbles and pushes off defender unforced
7:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside left,...,Lou Brown bed entry pass to key in the paint unforced
5:31TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou in the backcourt,...,Lou Brown tried to throw the ball off the leg of the defender and the defender got the ball unforced
3:48TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside right,...,Lou bad pass to KK unforced
3:23CHELDBALLKK and ONO get tied up, jump ball forced
3:10TENT-Shotclock Turnover by TEN at the inside righ,...,tshot clock running down Burrell receives the past at the arc elbow extended and does not take the shot unforced
1:28TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside right,...,Rae dribbles into a double team and tries to flip the ball over to KK unforced
1:08TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae in the backcourt,...,Burrelloutlet, overthrows Davis unforced
0:00TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,3.9 seconds left and the length of the car to go Lou inbounds the past 2 Davis who is immediately double-teamed forced
Q3
9:09TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the backcourt,...,JH bad handoff to Davis unforced
6:43TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #20 Key, Tamari at the inside left,...,Jazmine open for 3 but passes to key who was expecting the shot unforced
5:38TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,KK receive the entry pass in the paint is double-teamed and tries to pass it out forced
5:26TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,Burrell outlet to Davis passes defended forced
4:58TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan gets in trouble tries to pass passes deflected tries to pass again forced
4:27TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera in the backcourt,...,KK from the top of the arc passes to an open Harris at the Baseline Arc unforced
4:15TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna at the outside center,...,Jordan get tied up on a rebound forced
3:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the paint,...,Jordan attacking paint , defended well forced
2:00TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera under the basket,...,offensive foul called against Jordan 4 going through a pic forced
Q4
9:16TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #10 Rennie, Jessie at the outside center,...,Jesse bad pass off the leg of her defender unforced
5:19TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside center,...,Davis throws the ball over Burrell in an undefended unforced
3:35CHELDBALL0 unforced
:24TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine in the paint,...,Jazmine dribbles towards the Baseline has to pass the ball bc she's jumping out of bounds unforced

Great work! Thanks.

Here's what I take from it.

You guys were in it at the half. Then, UCONN forced 6 turnover in the third quarter to break your backs. Your three unforced turnovers also contributed to the back-breaking, but the six they forced were the big deal. The 4 unforced in the 4th quarter were signs of a beaten team making bad passes.

Coming out after a close halftime and forcing turnovers is classic Geno-ball. But your total 18 (if I counted correctly) unforced TOs is very bad.

College baseball and women's basketball are the two sports where coaches have to be teachers. You can be successful if you can teach fundamentals. Of course, you only get to the top if you can recruit AND teach.

Reactions: glv98

VN Store

Back