Lady Vols #1 High School Recruits

vols_86

I am wondering if someone could tell me if the Lady Vols has ever signed the top #1 High School Recruit before?

If they have, could you tell me the name and year?

Thanks

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I was having a hard time myself finding any individual recruit that was ranked the overall #1 top recruit other than Mercedes Russell that signed with the Lady Vols.

Rankings are somewhat new and evolved over the years in female sports. Candace won the major awards in her time that would have put her as the #1 ranked player. USA Today (twice POY), Naismith POY, and Gatorade POY.

From my research I can’t find anything that shows she(Candace Parker) was the #1 overall recruit in the nation in 03. She was the #1 recruit in the nation for her position but that’s all I can factually find. Tennessee signed 3 players from that recruiting class that were ranked #1 for their position. That’s what makes it tough.

From my research I can’t find anything that shows she(Candace Parker) was the #1 overall recruit in the nation in 03. She was the #1 recruit in the nation for her position but that’s all I can factually find. Tennessee signed 3 players from that recruiting class that were ranked #1 for their position. That’s what makes it tough.
I don't remember or can find if Hoopgurlz even had ratings back then, I know that Jerry Gatewood had the All-star girls ratings and he rated Candace number five and Sade Wiley Gatewood as the number one player. I think that was a little biased of a ranking. She left Tennessee and went to Maryland.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Lisa Harrison was PARADE‘s co-Player of the year (along with Annette Babers) in 1989.

Vonda Ward and Michelle Marciniak were PARADE’s co-Players of the Year in 1991. (Of course, Marciniak chose ND to begin her college career.)

In 1997 Semeka Randall shared PARADE‘s POY honor (with Nicole Teasley).

Wiley-Gatewood was PARADE’s POY (just ahead of Parker) in 2004.

Ostrowski was generally regarded as the No. 1 recruit coming out of high school back in 1980.

Before current recruiting services, we relied mostly on PARADE and USA Today’s postseason recognition. Lady Vols earning USA Today Player of the Year honors (fairly prestigious and relied upon back then due to lack of notoriety that the recruiting services would eventually remedy) were:
Lisa Harrison,1989
Tiffany Woosley, 1991
Semeka Randall, 1997
Shyra Ely, 2001
Candace Parker, 2003, 2004
Diamond DeShields, 2013

I don't remember or can find if Hoopgurlz even had ratings back then, I know that Jerry Gatewood had the All-star girls ratings and he rated Candace number five and Sade Wiley Gatewood as the number one player. I think that was a little biased of a ranking. She left Tennessee and went to Maryland.
Candace, Alexis and S'ade were all ranked #1 by different recruiting services (ASGr, Blue star, Scout?). Hoopgurlz didn't have rankings back then, but the guy who did them for years previously came from I think Scout...who did do rankings.

Catchings was #1 on Blue star and probably others as well. Ashley Robinson was also #1 (over Taurasi) with at least one recruiting ranking service). Kara Lawson was Naismith POY...may have been #1 somewhere.

VN Store

Back