Lady Vol Trivia Questions

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
Many sports forums have threads devoted to trivia.

Forty years ago the United States boycotted the Olympics being held in Russia. (even before they interferred in our election but interesting similarities)
PHS was the assistant coach that year and three of the members of that team were LVs. two with an * because they were transfers.

In 84 PHS was the coach and only one LV was on the team and she was Pat's point guard. The star of the LVs however did not make the team although she more than held her own during the selection camp. Another gritty guard on that team evolved into quite a gritty coach some years later.

I offer this story as another way to keep our board lively as many of you might have stories/trivia to share and or educate.

Not fair to Google. Not sure of the LV players but pretty sure the gritty guard future gritty coach was Kim Mulkey.

Holly Warlick and Jill Rankin made the ‘80 Moscow Olympics that were boycotted.

Lea Henry and Cindy Noble joined Pat to win the ‘84 Olympics in LA.

Pat played on the ‘76 Olympic team in Montreal with Trish Roberts and Cindy Brogdon, whom she would later coach.

Last edited:
Holly Warlick and Jill Rankin made the ‘80 Moscow Olympics that were boycotted.

Lea Henry and Cindy Noble joined Pat to win the ‘84 Olympics in LA.
Okay, did you know this stuff or did you look it up?

I did not know the answer....

Was the 3 point ball in play in college ball that year? Seems it took some time to become part of the national landscape...

I've always liked the demon shot...It is so demoralizing to the opponent when it pops the net.

and the LV who did not make the team was Mary O and she was definitely disappointed, as a center perceived as two inches too short. (my favorite early player, also the best left-hander).

Which is high praise since Ostrowski’s teammate/classmate/bookend lefty forward Tanya Haave could fill it up, too.

Edited to add that Mary O came to mind frequently this year after hearing that Coach Barnes was exhorting Fulkerson to take more shot attempts (for the good of the team, of course). Similarly, Ostrowski was so efficient—yet so unselfish— that Summitt resorted to setting conditions that if Mary didn’t attempt x number of shots in the game, she had to pay up at practice. 🥵

Last edited:

VN Store

Back