Lady Vol Defense and Rebounding Expectations 2021-2022

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
We know the standard - defense and rebounding wins close games. Last year's team had defensive weaknesses. Who will be the player who can stay with the the top point guards? How well have the bigs learned to rebound and pass without offering it up to the smaller defenders? who can protect the baseline drives? We all know the cliches, expections and weaknesses. I would be interested in a positive discussion of strengths for the team and the individual players.

And there has never been a high school player who was rated in the top-ten in her class because of the defense she exhibited. (potential perhaps yes - defense is learned in college.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Our best defender is Key. I suspect Dye will be the best rebounder (tho it should be Key). Our strongest backcourt defender is Horston (mostly due to her height). Hoping the freshmen guards can step up and help but perimeter defense will probably be a weakness all season.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Our best defender is Key. I suspect Dye will be the best rebounder (tho it should be Key). Our strongest backcourt defender is Horston (mostly due to her height). Hoping the freshmen guards can step up and help but perimeter defense will probably be a weakness all season.
Rae did a great job on Howard last year! Hope she brings that same intensity in every game we play this season!

From the 5 - Key gave us 5.6 RPG last season. She's capable of twice that. She played rim protector and shot blocker last season, and I expect that and more this season. She'll help stop the baseline drives.

From the 4 - I'm expecting better defense from the 4 position because of increased athleticism and mobility, whether it be Green, Dye, or Striplin. That's not a knock on Kassie - she was not a natural 4. But she was a decent rebounder, and we may not exceed the 6 per game she gave us last season with whoever plays there this season. But I think we have a shot at it, and it will be a needed increase.

From the 3 - Not sure who will play the three, but we are probably not going to get the defense and rebounding that Davis gave us last season. She was the top rebounder by far at 8.8. That's why Key and the 4 must increase production and then some. If it's Burrell, she'll play good D and likely increase her 4.6 RPG from last season. If it's Horston (with Burrell at the two) we don't quite know what we'll get, though I would expect good D and increased rebounding from her. She's such a terrific athlete. Same thing if it's Dye. There's a lot of choices at the three when you consider Marta and Puckett also are candidates

From the 2 - who will be the two? Burrell is my choice, as she is best outside shooter and has size to dominate her counterpart defensively. That would likely put Horston at the three. Burrell gave us 4.6 RPG last season. I expect Darby and Wynn to get some time at the two.

From the 1 - most think Walker will be the one. She didn't impress last season on defense, but she was handicapped in her movements. She also rebounded very well, averaging 4.5 per game. However, if she can't cut it defensively this season, I wouldn't be in favor of her being the starting one. The inability to defend the quick pg's of the opposition was a major weakness for us. I think one of the keys for the season is to better defend the opponents Pg's. If Walker can't do it well, the Horston is my choice for starting PG.

The coaches will have their hands full trying to sort out the myriad options available for lineups and rotations. There will be many combinations they can use to try and maintain balance between ballhandling, shooting, rebounding, and defense on the court at all times. One thing seems to be there: the depth for each player to go full effort all the time they are on the court, even if they play full court press and fast break the entire game.

Rae did a great job on Howard last year! Hope she brings that same intensity in every game we play this season!
Rae will always play hard, IK have never seen her take any plays off even as a freshman, that is what have gotten her to where she is now by hard work and playing hard. And she has grown leaps and bounds defensively from freshman season til now..

Wynn is the best athlete on the team. As a freshman she will have her bull in china shop moments but I expect some highlight reel steals from her.
Anyone else remember Semeka Randall preseason as an incoming freshman asking Pat if she could press the ball all the way down the court? Wynn can do that.

Wynn is the best athlete on the team. As a freshman she will have her bull in china shop moments but I expect some highlight reel steals from her.
Anyone else remember Semeka Randall preseason as an incoming freshman asking Pat if she could press the ball all the way down the court? Wynn can do that.

Wynn is my diamond in the rough,,,she will make some highlight plays early, like Burrell early,,then as she matures, she will be phenominal

We know the standard - defense and rebounding wins close games. Last year's team had defensive weaknesses. Who will be the player who can stay with the the top point guards? How well have the bigs learned to rebound and pass without offering it up to the smaller defenders? who can protect the baseline drives? We all know the cliches, expections and weaknesses. I would be interested in a positive discussion of strengths for the team and the individual players.

And there has never been a high school player who was rated in the top-ten in her class because of the defense she exhibited. (potential perhaps yes - defense is learned in college.

Last years team lacked overall quickness. I do not believe we will have that issue this year.

We were a very good rebounding team last season and looks like we'll be able to again rebound this season and be one of the best teams in the league in both defensive and offensive rebounding. The weakness of perimeter defense has been somewhat addressed with the addition of speed players Wynn and Miles. We'll have to see what they can do to stop the dribble drive and also close out on the quicker guards in the league shooting the three. We had quite a bit of difficulty defending smaller guards last season. Inside Key is a dynamic defender, but the worry is what happens when she gets in foul trouble. KK was a big body that clogged up the inside all the players taking her minutes this season will be smaller unless Emily can advance and effectively take up some of those minutes. Overall I think our rebounding will be about the same and our overall defense better on the perimeter and somewhat less effective inside unless freshmen and Emily can step up and cover what KK did in there.

They have to completely buy in to rebounding. When I played, I went after every ball after it left the rim. My one goal was to set to get the ball. It’s really clear why all players want to lead the team in rebounds.

We were a very good rebounding team last season and looks like we'll be able to again rebound this season and be one of the best teams in the league in both defensive and offensive rebounding. The weakness of perimeter defense has been somewhat addressed with the addition of speed players Wynn and Miles. We'll have to see what they can do to stop the dribble drive and also close out on the quicker guards in the league shooting the three. We had quite a bit of difficulty defending smaller guards last season. Inside Key is a dynamic defender, but the worry is what happens when she gets in foul trouble. KK was a big body that clogged up the inside all the players taking her minutes this season will be smaller unless Emily can advance and effectively take up some of those minutes. Overall I think our rebounding will be about the same and our overall defense better on the perimeter and somewhat less effective inside unless freshmen and Emily can step up and cover what KK did in there.
TK and Emily need the mindset that the ball belongs to them. They can work on quickness. It won’t magically turn them into players who are much much quicker, but along with mobility, knowing where the opposition is and what they can do from their positions, drills can help them improve quickness.

From the 5 - Key gave us 5.6 RPG last season. She's capable of twice that. She played rim protector and shot blocker last season, and I expect that and more this season. She'll help stop the baseline drives.

From the 4 - I'm expecting better defense from the 4 position because of increased athleticism and mobility, whether it be Green, Dye, or Striplin. That's not a knock on Kassie - she was not a natural 4. But she was a decent rebounder, and we may not exceed the 6 per game she gave us last season with whoever plays there this season. But I think we have a shot at it, and it will be a needed increase.

From the 3 - Not sure who will play the three, but we are probably not going to get the defense and rebounding that Davis gave us last season. She was the top rebounder by far at 8.8. That's why Key and the 4 must increase production and then some. If it's Burrell, she'll play good D and likely increase her 4.6 RPG from last season. If it's Horston (with Burrell at the two) we don't quite know what we'll get, though I would expect good D and increased rebounding from her. She's such a terrific athlete. Same thing if it's Dye. There's a lot of choices at the three when you consider Marta and Puckett also are candidates

From the 2 - who will be the two? Burrell is my choice, as she is best outside shooter and has size to dominate her counterpart defensively. That would likely put Horston at the three. Burrell gave us 4.6 RPG last season. I expect Darby and Wynn to get some time at the two.

From the 1 - most think Walker will be the one. She didn't impress last season on defense, but she was handicapped in her movements. She also rebounded very well, averaging 4.5 per game. However, if she can't cut it defensively this season, I wouldn't be in favor of her being the starting one. The inability to defend the quick pg's of the opposition was a major weakness for us. I think one of the keys for the season is to better defend the opponents Pg's. If Walker can't do it well, the Horston is my choice for starting PG.
I’m of the opinion that you start the players who start best. They aren’t necessarily the best players on the team always.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Your deep man has to release to be first down on defense,. So you really have four of the five who can rebound,,,

unless you're sneaky, like Jordan Walker,,,she is crafty on rebound-timing,,,amazing numbers for a speed-guard (Which she was before her injury) and can maybe,, be the right influence on Miles

We'll see

Your deep man has to release to be first down on defense,. So you really have four of the five who can rebound,,,

unless you're sneaky, like Jordan Walker,,,she is crafty on rebound-timing,,,amazing numbers for a speed-guard (Which she was before her injury) and can maybe,, be the right influence on Miles

We'll see

Yes, Walker's rebounding -- even though she likely never felt 100% while wearing that brace -- was, for me, the most unexpected stat highlight of last season. If Tamari and Rae come into this season with Walker's nose for going after rebounds, Tennessee will be winning some of the types of games they lost last season. I fully expect the senior Rae to be a better rebounder this season because I'm sure she's being counseled to be able to add "excellent rebounder" to her resume before the WNBA draft. And Alexus Dye will want to continue to be known as an excellent rebounder.

This is going to be a fun season.

VN Store

Back