Lady Vol Basketball Hosts Carson Newman on Thursday in Exhibition

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
The 2008-09 Tennessee Lady Vols open the year against the Carson-Newman Lady Eagles in an exhibition contest for the fifth straight campaign.

More...

got a lot of team work to work on. but for a bunch of freshman looking good

I have no doubt the chemistry will come. Once it does, this team could be scary. I know I'm biased, but this bunch could surprise this season.

think they will be working on the 3pt shot in the 2nd half? seem weak with out
bjorkand (sp)

Six players scored in double figures tonight:

Glory Johnson 33 points and 14 rebounds
Alicia Manning 19 points and 6 rebounds
Kelley Cain 18 points and 9 rebounds
Shekinna Stricklen 17 points and 6 rebounds
Amber Gray 16 points and 5 rebounds
Alyssia Brewer 14 points and 13 rebounds

UNC beat Carson-Newman 114-64 earlier this week. Last year the Lady Vols beat Carson-Newman 91-30.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make their usual run....deep into the NCAA tourney

The four freshman look awesome tonight against Carson Newman Lady Vols. Glory Johnson had 33 points against Lady Eagles tonight.

Some of the post game quotes:

Head Coach Pat Summitt:

(on the performance of freshman Glory Johnson):
"Glory is one of the best athletes that we've ever had in our program. I would compare her to Tamika Catchings with her speed and aggressiveness. She shot the ball well tonight, considering that we haven't spent a lot of time on her face-up game. She has a lot of pride in her game and comes ready play. She changes the way we play and makes us quicker on the defensive end."
(on the performance of redshirt freshman Kelley Cain):
"I thought Kelley moved well up and down the court. I told her that has to be a priority. She has to be the first post down the court. She's getting better. Heather (Mason) has done a great job of convincing her to do that. We will challenge Kelley to do that on a daily basis."
(on the performance of freshman Alicia Manning):
"Alicia is a very active player. She has guard skills, but she's not afraid to attack the basket. She creates for others. She's a tough, hard-nosed player. She makes good things happen."
(on Tennessee's freshmen):
"I'm really excited. It's a new challenge, having six true freshmen and a redshirt freshman. It's been fun. I've demanded a lot of them, and I'll demand a lot more. I see the potential for them to be very competitive. I think a lot of people think this is the time to get us, but we don't want to let that happen."
Carson-Newman: Head Coach Dean Walsh:
(on this year's team compared to year's past):
"The athleticism is a lot greater with this group. You've got more than one athletic, lanky player and not just Candace Parker. Pat has got three or four players that can play several positions and create several mismatches. This team seemed more relentless on the boards than teams in the past at several positions.
(on Glory Johnson):
"She was what I expected. I've watched Glory since she was a little girl. High octane. Full of energy. She's going to rebound. She's going to slash. Once she develops an outside jumper, she is going to be one of the best players in the country."
TENNESSEE vs. CARSON-NEWMAN Post-Game Quotes

VN Store

Back