LaDarrell McNeil injured (neck)

Do other programs just not let this stuff out or something. I work with a ton of GA and Bama fans and none of them have mentioned any injuries. I'm sure they've had some but it's not something that any of them are talking about. And here we are talking about it every day.

They dont practice as hard as UT does. Notice how UT knocks other teams.players out?

They dont practice as hard as UT does. Notice how UT knocks other teams.players out?

Idk if you're joking or not, but maybe butch's practices really are a little too intense. He might want to see if any minor changes can be made to preserve the health of our players. I want the players to practice hard but not at the expense of so many preseason injuries. It's def gotten kinda rediculous this year.

And my prayers go out to McNeil. Any neck/spinal injury is a big deal.

Ridiculous. Bad News of the day. Sorry for McNeil. I've always liked him.

Good thing we have Berry, TKjr. Probably the best position to lose someone at as bad as that sounds.

So who's taking the spot Berry or TKJ?

I feel both are more athletic and should do better in pass coverage. Will be intresting to see who starts.

Hate like hell to hear this. LaDarrell, we'll be praying for a positive prognosis and full recovery. Hoping you can get back on the field. You are a Vol for life, and we're proud to have you as one.

Reactions: 2 people
So who's taking the spot Berry or TKJ?

I feel both are more athletic and should do better in pass coverage. Will be intresting to see who starts.
Probably Stephen Griffen will be in rotation for back up Id say TK starts

Really hate losing this kid. He has been a fixture in our secondary for what seems like forever.

Any word on what kind of neck injury it is? I just got here so excuse the ignorance.

Todd Kelly Jr. is better in coverage than McNeil so he would've played more against Oklahoma anyways.

McNeil's loss though sad is not significant. TKJ was already better in pass coverage. Hard hitting run stuffing safeties like McNeil are becoming an endangered species now in college football anyways with the rise of spread offenses. McNeil would've been critical for us in the one or two games we play teams like Arkansas and Alabama that like to pound the running game. Against everyone else TKJ will be more than adequate. IMO TKJ will be an UPGRADE.

McNeil was solid and will be missed. The coaches will play certain players in correspondence to the opponents personal.

So against bama, arky, Oklahoma, Georgia, and teams who run the ball consistently, he will certainly be missed and so will his hard hitting.

Starting to think you're "Nationdom" with just a different username.

Really hate losing this kid. He has been a fixture in our secondary for what seems like forever.

Yep, McNeil started 31 out of last 32 games (22 in a row). There are good players behind him to step up, but we'll miss his seniority and leadership.

Reactions: 2 people
Idk if you're joking or not, but maybe butch's practices really are a little too intense. He might want to see if any minor changes can be made to preserve the health of our players. I want the players to practice hard but not at the expense of so many preseason injuries. It's def gotten kinda rediculous this year.

And my prayers go out to McNeil. Any neck/spinal injury is a big deal.

He's not kidding and he is correct.

I agree with you that Jones needs to calculate for a little more balance... but IMO there is a noticeable difference in the number of opponents' players who get hurt (not injured but rattled) when they play UT. IOW's, UT is definitely hitting harder than in the past.

OTOH, some of these injuries have been non-contact. I know that the NFL has done studies on those and prevention measures. There's a good chance that some of the do occur because of the "pace" of UT's practices.

This is the result of constant training in the weight room or punishment on the field. If a team plays a bowl game, they get a total
Of what...1 of 12 months worth of time in between the bowl game and the "optional" spring workout with the S&C coach?

It doesn't matter what kind of facilities or body fat % or genetics you have, you need rest.

*its the exact same thing baseball is facing but with elbows/arms/shoulders. Teens now are playing ball, then camps, then showcases, then spring ball, then practices, then games, repeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
This is the result of constant training in the weight room or punishment on the field. If a team plays a bowl game, they get a total
Of what...1 of 12 months worth of time in between the bowl game and the "optional" spring workout with the S&C coach?

It doesn't matter what kind of facilities or body fat % or genetics you have, you need rest.
I tend to agree but, I also remember a lot of injuries on Dooley's watch and he didn't do s&!@ at practice. But the hygiene was top notch!

*its the exact same thing baseball is facing but with elbows/arms/shoulders. Teens now are playing ball, then camps, then showcases, then spring ball, then practices, then games, repeat.

Hence the sleep studies.

Does anyone have information on how severe his injury is? Is it just a season ending injury or a career ending injury? Wonder if he will redshirt to play next year. He might lose his starting spot to those talented sophomore behind him if they show out like I think they will.

What does "Neck Instability" mean exactly? From the way Butch talked it sounded like not only his season but possibly the kids career could been over.

I think they are focusing to much on strength training and less on stretching type exercises. When you bulk up to much ligaments and tendons contract making it easier to tear something i know ive been down that road.

The human body is amazing--but it was NOT conceived to be slammed at high speed into other, muscular bodies. That is especially true of the head and neck area. This is why many if not most NFL players have serious physical and health problems as they age. I fear for a great Vol like Al Wilson, who spent a decade+ in the NFL slamming his head and upper body into offensive linemen, backs and receivers--and retired from the NFL because of neck issues. Not sure how he feels now, but he's likely to experience some serious pain for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back