Lack of spring practice could benefit Vols vs Oklahoma

Funny how no one assumes H Bailey would endure the same struggles if we started him from day 1
It's a a good point. Not having spring practice definitely hurts HB the most and I think he could definitely struggle if thrown to the wolves that early without the benefit of a spring practice. On the other hand, our OL could be good enough that all of our QBs might be successful giving the amount of time they'll have to throw. Having an experienced QB available is a plus for teams like Tn, Fl, USCjrs, Auburn and A&M if spring is cancelled for all.

On the downer side, they lost very few seniors and starters from last season (unless they had a lot of transfers).

We too need some serious practice time at QB for all QBs.

On the plus side, we only had 4 EEs this year. So if a school like Ok or Uga or Fl had a boatload of EEs that would have been a huge disadvantage.
We're somewhat of a veteran team. If we come back in shape after a cancelled spring I think our experience at key positions will be an advantage early in the season.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
We need to be spending this time getting leadership reps in. A lotta 5 star hearts out there, but they need to train.

It's a a good point. Not having spring practice definitely hurts HB the most and I think he could definitely struggle if thrown to the wolves that early without the benefit of a spring practice. On the other hand, our OL could be good enough that all of our QBs might be successful giving the amount of time they'll have to throw. Having an experienced QB available is a plus for teams like Tn, Fl, USCjrs, Auburn and A&M if spring is cancelled for all.

Even in March it’s not hard to figure out what’s going to be the keys to the game. Our quarterback play has to be at a high level no matter who is taking the snaps. We have to hit some over the top because they know we want to run the ball and control the clock, they are gonna stack the box with 8 guys a lot. I think those deep shots will be open. Do we have the guys to make that throw and to get downfield? We’ll see. If we do have some big hitters i think it will be a 4 Quarter game.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Those going to Norman might want to bring several rolls of TP with them, there appears to be no end to the buying panic!!!

If spring camp is totally taken away, it almost assures JG to be the unquestioned starter from day 1.

Maybe that will start some discussion today.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If all of the teams are forced to miss spring practice I think that will be a plus for us vs Oklahoma. It could be that their young new QB struggles early. I also think we'll have a big advantage with Taylor and Thompson vs their young WR core that early in the season. If we can stop the run and control the ball a bit I believe we'll have a good chance at a big upset in Norman. We're going to have one of the best passing defenses in the country and I believe it'll play a big factor in this game.
They return most of their two deep if I remember correctly. It is the team lower on their development curve that suffers more from lost reps. That is definitely UT.

If spring camp is totally taken away, it almost assures JG to be the unquestioned starter from day 1.

Maybe that will start some discussion today.
He won't be the "unquestioned" starter with or without spring. He didn't play well enough to justify that. His last two games definitely weren't good enough to justify that.

Reactions: Remy
Except for bringing back Rambo and Haselwood, I might agree. Both are poised for a breakout year.

I don’t expect you to honestly and furthermore in that offense it’s hard for WR not to have big years. It was more a compliment than a knock

Oklahoma has been on a downward spiral since Mayfield left. Their defense sucks and they lost their best defense player to the draft, their offense took a big hit bc of the draft. When they play someone of national championship caliber they get destroyed. Their conference that has two maybe three good teams just props them up every year. Oklahoma is very beatable it will simply come down to us having good QB play. The rest will fall into place.

We're a better team the OU going into 2020.
They're playing at home, but I think we score a bunch on that defense.

42-21 Vols
U got a point. I haven't even thought about the fact that OU refuses to play defense. Im kinda caught up in our own struggles on offense. The best way to fix a struggling offense is to play a horrible defense. With that being said 250 yards rushing should be the over/under for a victory. Im hoping for a straight dawg fight from us. Simply line up and punch them in the mouth until the dam breaks.

I don’t expect you to honestly and furthermore in that offense it’s hard for WR not to have big years. It was more a compliment than a knock
There always seems to be a receiver that becomes "the guy" in that offense that wasn't particularly on the radar. Cede was last year, Brown the year before, Westbrook before that, so on and so forth. QBs have their favorite targets that they bond with in spring practice and summer camp and I have this feeling it's going to be either Rambo or Haselwood this year.

I didn't take it as a knock, but there are some that will say "the Sooners are going to suck because so and so graduated or got drafted". There are always backups to the backups.

For those saying how bad our defense is, I think you're going to be surprised at the improvements made. We went from 102 nationally in 2018 to 38 last year and will probably climb more this year. Alex Grinch might be young but he's recruiting good players at the skill positions. The secondary is looking quick and the front 7 have high ceilings even tho they are still a bit young.

The defense was pretty much completely replaced over the last two years. But with a new DC in charge, they've drastically improved.

Riley is famous for a reason so I somewhat agree. I just feel this game is going to come down to how well we single cover their receivers in the intermediate/deep part of the field. Rattler absolutely hates check downs.

And us being able to score, we didn't score very well the last two games of the season against much inferior teams than okl

He won't be the "unquestioned" starter with or without spring. He didn't play well enough to justify that. His last two games definitely weren't good enough to justify that.

I agree with your assesment of jg play. But I think Pruitt starts jg, imo he shouldn't but I think that is what he will do. I don't think jg would have stayed unless he pretty well knew he was gonna play.

I agree with your assesment of jg play. But I think Pruitt starts jg, imo he shouldn't but I think that is what he will do. I don't think jg would have stayed unless he pretty well knew he was gonna play.
There's a lot of good reasons he would stay including a love for the school. But to your point, he's never played well enough to assure himself a starting job at any other major school. His choice was likely to drop to a lower tier school or take his chances at UT.

There always seems to be a receiver that becomes "the guy" in that offense that wasn't particularly on the radar. Cede was last year, Brown the year before, Westbrook before that, so on and so forth. QBs have their favorite targets that they bond with in spring practice and summer camp and I have this feeling it's going to be either Rambo or Haselwood this year.

I didn't take it as a knock, but there are some that will say "the Sooners are going to suck because so and so graduated or got drafted". There are always backups to the backups.
That freshman you have coming in...Mims? Will be a beast also. Sooner rather than later.

For those saying how bad our defense is, I think you're going to be surprised at the improvements made. We went from 102 nationally in 2018 to 38 last year and will probably climb more this year. Alex Grinch might be ...

I thought you were one of us, at first. Wait, who's Alex Grinch? Oh, Oklahoma

VN Store

Back