Lack of portal movement is concerning

I don't think Heupel has ever hit the spring transfer window too hard. Typically seems to get most of his work done in the winter window. Only one I can really think of was Milton. there was the Clemson(?) RB Heupels first year who I don't think even made a practice, but for the most part we don't seem to use the spring one much.

maybe its a scheme thing. Offense is definitely unique. and with old school guys like Garner on defense they may want to be able to coach guys up for a while, and are more willing to trust the process.

I think it is always going to be a combination of things. Happy with the guys we got, starting LT, TE, WR, CB, maybe S, and depth pieces. got to see spring practice and still happy. Could just be the scholarship reduction hitting, limiting moves. you never want a ton of movement, and being down a couple scholarships we have less flexibility than we would like.

could just be the opportunity cost is too high. people in the portal aren't worth it. doesn't mean there aren't good players, even starters out there. just may want too much money, want guaranteed start times, already struggling with positional numbers keeping everyone happy as is. is it worth bringing a number 3 RB if that means cutting the number three OL? lots of math out there.

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.

staff is really comfortable with the roster and are not actively seeking anyone in the portal. If some spots open up (full right now) then they might take a look but would have to be someone really good and FITS the CULTURE.

Josh stated on every stop of the caravan how happy they are with the roster.

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.
Is you ideal situation maximum turnover of players. I mean the portal has only been around for a couple of years. Hit or miss out of the portal would seem more likely from my perspective as there is most likely a reason this player left/is leaving their former team. CJH is big on culture fit and that is something that will eventually be destroyed by NIL and the portal.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
staff is really comfortable with the roster and are not actively seeking anyone in the portal. If some spots open up (full right now) then they might take a look but would have to be someone really good and FITS the CULTURE.

Sorry, LWSVOL.

I said almost exactly what you did. Sometimes my ageing ADHD brain responds prior to properly vetting the numerous posts on an item.

I feel for those who choke on social media. No wonder you have BVS and ADHD. Maybe you should take up meditation and sing KumBaya or something. Life is good. Enjoy it.😊

Reactions: KittenVol
✅ retain your future first round elite pass rusher
✅ retain your playmaking running back
✅ get your all-sec caliber center to return
✅ sign a former 5 star top tackle to take over at left tackle all the while getting your previous years left tackle to move over to right tackle without bolting
✅ sign the top rated TE in the portal for your biggest position of need and sign another TE from Alabama for quality depth all the while keeping your elite freshman TE
✅ sign a playmaking WR in the portal who had offers from pretty much every top program in the country
✅ Get Bru and Pili to come back
✅ sign expertise in the secondary including a freshman all-american

Seems okay to me. Sure I am missing a bunch as well.

FUFE1yIXwAAq2ov.jpg

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
We don’t need DL or Edge or LBs or OL or QB or WRs or TE. Secondary seems set and they seem happy with current set of RBs. Unless a no brainer 5* type RB is out there, I just don’t see us pursuing anyone. We definitely have no sure paths to starting on this team.

✅ retain your future first round elite pass rusher
✅ retain your playmaking running back
✅ get your all-sec caliber center to return
✅ sign a former 5 star top tackle to take over at left tackle all the while getting your previous years left tackle to move over to right tackle without bolting
✅ sign the top rated TE in the portal for your biggest position of need and sign another TE from Alabama for quality depth all the while keeping your elite freshman TE
✅ sign a playmaking WR in the portal who had offers from pretty much every top program in the country
✅ Get Bru and Pili to come back
✅ sign expertise in the secondary including a freshman all-american

Seems okay to me. Sure I am missing a bunch as well.
A rabid VOL here!...Calm down, just breath, we are filling holes that were 10 years in the making. Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day, but it is on the right path. I can see a skyline on the horizon FINALLY.

GBO

You don’t lose what you don’t put in the middle of the table. Sometimes the best play is check

Some coaches do what they do, and do it wrong.
Vols coaches do things right, and we are strong.
But some fans don't get it, and they never will.
They need to stop whining so much and chill.

Reactions: 207 others
Let’s see:
Landed one of the best available WRs in portal; best TE in the portal; one of the highest rated LTs; two CBs which starting experience; a safety as well.

So seriously where in the absolute F are you getting this idiotic idea from that we haven’t done well in the portal?

I would prefer another RB with some experience. But otherwise think we are good where we are.

And DBs. Can never have enough DBs, imo.
We brought in three DBs, one likely starts for us in the outside. RB is complicated, we’ve got a lot of talent, we’re dealing with some injuries there; Seldon should be ready to go by fall or at least by the first few games into the season. Sampson got paid to stay and has earned the right to show he can be RB1. Bishop, Keith also there. Also Lewis even though he likely won’t be ready to go this year. Pretty good room, pretty good morale there, I don’t see them bringing in another guy and risking it especially with the numbers situation we have.

Not saying you're wrong but, what else is he going to say?

Nail>head

They culled a couple because they have to be at a certain number now. Not sure exactly what that number is but its not 85

Doubt they pick anyone up
Think someone suggested we’d like to be at 83 but idk. LWS could probably hazard a pretty good guess. We have to take the scholarship hit at some point if you believe the ncaa will be around to enforce those sanctions even.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Think someone suggested we’d like to be at 83 but idk. LWS could probably hazard a pretty good guess. We have to take the scholarship hit at some point if you believe the ncaa will be around to enforce those sanctions even.
I assume we signed some papers stating as much once the punishment was accepted. Could be wrong

VN Store

Back