Kyle Rittenhouse - The Truth in 11 Minutes

Actually watched a video this morning that made some interesting points about this: Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things. The gist is intelligent people are better at rationalizing completely irrational ideas. And it is not strictly a phenomenon of the left, those on the right do it as well. We do have some prime examples of it on VN. TurdVol probably is very intelligent; he is for instance articulate. But completely ignores facts that do not fall in line with the hard baked in belief system/ideology held.

Here is an example (not just TurdVol):

Whoever: Under Trump, the immigration at the southern border was managed better. Objectively measured by the massive increase in illegal border crossings since he left office and the attendant problems arising throughout the country.

Any number of the left representatives on here: Doesn't matter! Trump is bad! Trump is Evil! The border is a mess because of Trump/Republicans in Congress! Or Governor Abbott! Or Ron DeSantis!" (nevermind that the laws have not changed since January 2021)

I'm sure they have examples of where some of us on the right side of the spectrum are just as obstinate. Would be interesting to see what some examples are. Be prepared to laugh. At them and ourselves.

Great post. Something new.

Lol. There you go again.

“He shouldn’t have been there” is, in fact, an opinion.

It’s a valid opinion, and certainly worthy of discussion. But it is an opinion.

He went there with an assault rifle looking for trouble--trying to act like law enforcement. He had no business being there. He was being
a vigilante and thus made a bad situation much worse. I love the Earls: pretending that an idiot teenager who shows up at a volatile street demonstration with an assault rifle--a dope who didn't like the demonstrators-- was A-ok. He was there looking for trouble--and of course found it. Two people are dead because of that idiot--just like police officers are dead because of the gangster. Fact.

He went there with an assault rifle looking for trouble--trying to act like law enforcement. He had no business being there. He was being
a vigilante and thus made a bad situation much worse. I love the Earls: pretending that an idiot teenager who shows up at a volatile street demonstration with an assault rifle--a dope who didn't like the demonstrators-- was A-ok. He was there looking for trouble--and of course found it. Two people are dead because of that idiot--just like police officers are dead because of the gangster. Fact.
What's an assault rifle?

And where was the rest of his 'gang'?

The two are dead because they were dumb enough to chase and assault an armed ******* that was there looking for trouble. Fact.

"He went there".... = Fact.

From, "with", to,"of the gangster. Fact". = Opinion.

Last edited:
So you just can’t comprehend the difference between Fact and Opinion. That about sum it up?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
So he was 17. He was a stupid young man with a big gun who decided to play pretend sheriff and inject himself into a tense and volatile situation. He shouldn't have been there--basic fact---and because he was there two people are dead and another injured. They'd be alive today were it not for that moron. These morons think that because they have guns they can roam around and provoke people. He should have been home reading comic books, which seems to be his intelligence level. He should have been convicted. That right-wing groups would invite this dope to speak at events shows in spades how extreme, uncivilized and deranged the political right has become.
I agree he shouldn't have been there. no one should have been there.

he wasn't the only one involved in the shooting with a gun. Funny how you can't find any blame for the other guy with a gun. Especially with the now one armed man chasing Rittenhouse.

Rittenhouse didn't randomly shoot into the crowd and just happen to tag a pedophile, a felon, and a man armed with a pistol. Those three were chasing him. How dumb is it to chase a kid with a gun? How was that ever going to turn out? Kyle didn't start the violence, all 4 could have gone about a completely normal life if they didn't engage with a kid. what type of adult moron picks a fight with a kid? there is a reason our society makes a distinction between a minor, who might not now better, and adults; but you are holding the single kid to a higher standard than the three adults who were chasing and assaulting Rittenhouse.

no Rittenhouse should not have been convicted, at least not of any of the crimes he was charged with. The DA had their day in court and couldn't get ANYTHING to stick. I don't see how you can hold the one person the court's have found innocent to a higher standard than the people who have already gone through the same system and been found guilty.

I agree he shouldn't have been there. no one should have been there.

he wasn't the only one involved in the shooting with a gun. Funny how you can't find any blame for the other guy with a gun. Especially with the now one armed man chasing Rittenhouse.

Rittenhouse didn't randomly shoot into the crowd and just happen to tag a pedophile, a felon, and a man armed with a pistol. Those three were chasing him. How dumb is it to chase a kid with a gun? How was that ever going to turn out? Kyle didn't start the violence, all 4 could have gone about a completely normal life if they didn't engage with a kid. what type of adult moron picks a fight with a kid? there is a reason our society makes a distinction between a minor, who might not now better, and adults; but you are holding the single kid to a higher standard than the three adults who were chasing and assaulting Rittenhouse.

no Rittenhouse should not have been convicted, at least not of any of the crimes he was charged with. The DA had their day in court and couldn't get ANYTHING to stick. I don't see how you can hold the one person the court's have found innocent to a higher standard than the people who have already gone through the same system and been found guilty.
Because said poster is quite literally one of the dumbest folks I've ever seen post on this board?

Two people are dead because of that idiot--
It's almost like the dead people weren't fully adjudicated to have assaulted someone to the point they were shot.

Even if...IF...we fully accepted the premise it was imprudent or whatever for the guy to be there thus armed this idea that the actual reason anybody died rests with him is problematic on many levels. You realize 100% of the people fired upon were (after full investigation and even run before a judge & jury) guilty of assaulting the shooter, right? This hardcore extrapolation of "if not for" running backwards while ignoring key aspects (we'll call them, idk, "facts") makes for some pretty terrible takes and therefore all the ridicule you receive. It doesn't matter jack what you think of KR, why he was there, how he was armed or who his favorite band might be. If there were no assaults there would have been no victims even if we all agreed KR shouldn't have been there.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Actually watched a video this morning that made some interesting points about this: Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things. The gist is intelligent people are better at rationalizing completely irrational ideas. And it is not strictly a phenomenon of the left, those on the right do it as well. We do have some prime examples of it on VN. TurdVol probably is very intelligent; he is for instance articulate. But completely ignores facts that do not fall in line with the hard baked in belief system/ideology held.

Here is an example (not just TurdVol):

Whoever: Under Trump, the immigration at the southern border was managed better. Objectively measured by the massive increase in illegal border crossings since he left office and the attendant problems arising throughout the country.

Any number of the left representatives on here: Doesn't matter! Trump is bad! Trump is Evil! The border is a mess because of Trump/Republicans in Congress! Or Governor Abbott! Or Ron DeSantis!" (nevermind that the laws have not changed since January 2021)

I'm sure they have examples of where some of us on the right side of the spectrum are just as obstinate. Would be interesting to see what some examples are. Be prepared to laugh. At them and ourselves.

Thanks for the share! Very interesting video!

I didn't feel like it attacked either left or right. It just offered a theory on why people believe what they believe. Like you said..... the more intelligent someone is the more likely they are to rationalize their beliefs.

Funny thing to me is it seems that if someone did watch it and was angry or offended by it, it would just serve to give the theory presented more plausibility.

The part about curiosity and being humble was particularly interesting to me.(near the end of video)

Edit: I agree this is worthy of its own thread.

So he was 17. He was a stupid young man with a big gun who decided to play pretend sheriff and inject himself into a tense and volatile situation. He shouldn't have been there--basic fact---and because he was there two people are dead and another injured. They'd be alive today were it not for that moron. These morons think that because they have guns they can roam around and provoke people. He should have been home reading comic books, which seems to be his intelligence level. He should have been convicted. That right-wing groups would invite this dope to speak at events shows in spades how extreme, uncivilized and deranged the political right has become.

I love playing let’s predict the future .. what if him being there kept the two that died and the other one “ lefty “ from assaulting , and killing others that didn’t have the means to fight back and were just trying to survive ? See how that works ?

Reactions: McDad
No, two people are dead because they made poor Darwin decisions. Another just missed out on the Darwin lottery. The first Darwin Award winner decided it was smart to chase and corner a man armed with a gun and then to try and grab said gun. Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Second decided that chasing an armed man down the street and swinging a skate board at his head was a brilliant idea. Again, Don, we have a winner! He won a casket! A casket going six-foot under years before he should have!

The guy armed with a pistol won a blown apart bicep because he thought it was wise idea to approach a man who has already awarded TWO Darwin Awards on the evening with a pulled out pistol. He missed making it a trifecta Darwin Award by inches.

VN Store

Back